New rating system same old problems

New rating system same old problems

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:23 pm #1

I must admit I was somewhat optimistic with "MYLax Rankings" aiding in the rating process. However, it appears some of the same old problems exist. Scores from some of the tournaments have not been included. Also, there is confusion over #1 and #2 teams. Just to be clear, Halton Hills #2 midgets did not beat Brampton #1 in Arthur this weekend. They did not even beat Brampton #2. It was a Brampton house league team. I have found multiple errors in just the games of the one team that I am involved with. How many mistakes are there? Who is responsible for sending in the scores? Is there a mechanism in place to address incorrect scores? Here we go again. We will never have an accurate rating system, no matter how scientific and objective it is, until the correct data is entered. Garbage in, garbage out.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:32 pm #2

I'm new here, but as far as I know house league teams aren't supposed to be playing in tournaments, are they?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:41 pm #3

I must admit I was somewhat optimistic with "MYLax Rankings" aiding in the rating process. However, it appears some of the same old problems exist. Scores from some of the tournaments have not been included. Also, there is confusion over #1 and #2 teams. Just to be clear, Halton Hills #2 midgets did not beat Brampton #1 in Arthur this weekend. They did not even beat Brampton #2. It was a Brampton house league team. I have found multiple errors in just the games of the one team that I am involved with. How many mistakes are there? Who is responsible for sending in the scores? Is there a mechanism in place to address incorrect scores? Here we go again. We will never have an accurate rating system, no matter how scientific and objective it is, until the correct data is entered. Garbage in, garbage out.
Agreed. I am also aware of scoring input errors, just involving the games I have knowledge of. Leads me to question, how many errors are there from top to bottom?

I think the positive of MyLax Rankings is the ability to look up the records and results of opponents (however, we want those results to be accurate). When it comes time to set the rankings for provincials, the OLA should not be relying on the ranking numbers being produced by MyLax, as it stands now.

It's early, so hopefully this tool continues to improve.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:05 pm #4

and they will correct the score or remove the game. I did it 2 days ago for a game where a Team had beaten our # 2 Midget Team and it was incorrectly listed under our Midget 1 team and they corrected it within 48 hours.

This does not address the incorrect data that is being fed into the system. Nepean 1 Midgets won the Owen Sound Tourney beating Windsor 2-1 in a hard fought final. The game is not even listed and they have Windsor down as Tournament Champions.

We went 4-0-1 on the weekend and dropped 8 spots in the rankings.

Still some work to do for sure however I think its a step in the right direction.

Jamie

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 pm #5

Wow! That is good. One of the mistakes I was referring to above has already been corrected. However, the Six Nations Tournament scores from one month ago have not been added. In my opinion, tournament scores are critical in getting the rankings accurate. I see that "MYLax" indicates they have not received the scores from the "association". Does anyone know who we can contact to ensure the scores are added? This is an age old ratings problem. At least now we can see what is wrong and what is missing. It's really too bad we cant add scores that are missing(to be double checked of course). No system is perfect but this tool has the potential to be a great addition to the ranking process.