My least favourite time of the year trade deadline and the treatment of AP's

My least favourite time of the year trade deadline and the treatment of AP's

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 pm #1

As the trade line passes and teams gear up for the playoffs I offer my condolences to those poor ap's that supported their junior team all year and become dispensible as players are picked up through a trade atthe deadline date. A long time ago my coach came to me and sad that it would be in my best interest to ap for the junior team without being carded as a junior as I would see more playing time. I was so excited about being part of the team that I did not realize the ramifications of my decision. I was at every practice and dressed for all the games as the back up goalie actually starting a few games. All year my coach told my I was improving and doing a good job. The team was doing well and we had made it into the playoffs , then the news game the team had picked up another junior carded goalie at the trade deadline and I was no longer needed for the games but I was more then welcome to continut to practice. My heart was broken , loyality does not last long and yopu can never really trust a coach or general manager. I got over it and sign a junior card the next year making sure that I never had to be treated as an ap again.

Just my thoughts

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:39 pm #2

In the scenario you describe, had you signed a Junior card, you would have just been released when the new goalie was acquired, leaving you unable to play for any team unless you were picked up by another junior team by the deadline for signing released players. Sounds like your coach and GM did you a favour by allowing you the opportunity to go back and play for the lower level team that you signed with!

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:57 pm #3

Typically teams with two signed junior goalies do not go out at the trade deadline to find a goalie they already have two. In my situation we only had one signed junior goalie and I backed up as an AP , so we only had one signed goalie. I never played or practiced with the Intermediates all year and felt it unfair to take one of their places when I was no longer needed.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:45 pm #4

If a team can pick up a player at the deadline, regardless of position, at a reasonable cost that the team feels is an upgrade on its current talent, it will acquire that player whether or not all its players are signed or some are APs, full stop.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 pm #5

As the trade line passes and teams gear up for the playoffs I offer my condolences to those poor ap's that supported their junior team all year and become dispensible as players are picked up through a trade atthe deadline date. A long time ago my coach came to me and sad that it would be in my best interest to ap for the junior team without being carded as a junior as I would see more playing time. I was so excited about being part of the team that I did not realize the ramifications of my decision. I was at every practice and dressed for all the games as the back up goalie actually starting a few games. All year my coach told my I was improving and doing a good job. The team was doing well and we had made it into the playoffs , then the news game the team had picked up another junior carded goalie at the trade deadline and I was no longer needed for the games but I was more then welcome to continut to practice. My heart was broken , loyality does not last long and yopu can never really trust a coach or general manager. I got over it and sign a junior card the next year making sure that I never had to be treated as an ap again.

Just my thoughts
this game of "guess who" intrigues me....My guess is your name is Mr Johnson.?.

if the above story is true, your team may have just failed to follow the rules of ap'ing a player. I believe you must play a higher % of games with the team you're signed with. You said you've never been to a practice let alone a game for the intermediate team?? hmmmmmmmmm

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:18 pm #6

If a team can pick up a player at the deadline, regardless of position, at a reasonable cost that the team feels is an upgrade on its current talent, it will acquire that player whether or not all its players are signed or some are APs, full stop.
Their is no loyalty anymore.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:06 am #7

if the above story is true, your team may have just failed to follow the rules of ap'ing a player. I believe you must play a higher % of games with the team you're signed with. You said you've never been to a practice let alone a game for the intermediate team?? hmmmmmmmmm

Second guess is Mr. Cowman?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:52 am #8

That rule applies in minor only (nm)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 pm #9

Intermediate is minor

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:23 pm #10

A quick review of the OLA Constitution (MR5.05 and 5.06) reveals that that rule doesn't exist anymore, so I am not sure how it would have applied on these facts. The minor rules are now the same as for Junior and Senior - a player can play an unlimited number of regular season games and up to 15 play-off games for an afiliated team.