More control over the game please

More control over the game please

Mon May 03, 2004 2:56 pm #1

The London tournament had an unfortunate situation between players from the KW team and the Brampton team. It was unfortunate in the fact that the referees did not have control of the game. It was unfortunate that poor sportsmanship led to taunting of players from the KW team by the Brampton team, one player in particular. It was unfortunate that parents from the one team were also encouraging their players to "get em". It was also unfortunate that these same parents "congratulated" their sons, and other boys for fighting. It is also unfortunate that a player from the Brampton team took it upon himself to carry on his beef in the parking lot of the school. Lacrosse is a tough sport...yes...but tough is not fighting...tough is being able to walk away when someone with a thug mentality tries to ruin an otherwise good game, with his "non lacrosse" skills. Fortunately the KW players involved were able to find good in all of this, as they are developing skills that will keep them from joining this sort of activity the next time. I don't totally blame the ref's for all of this, but they have to find ways to keep control of the game. We as parents also have to do our part in keeping the violence down, and that includes keeping the encouragement to fight OUT OF THE GAME. Lets get back to playing lacrosse.

Mon May 03, 2004 9:11 pm #2

I wasnt there so I cant comment on the situation, but there is no place in Field lacrosse for fighting, by all means lay a huge hit, but never should thier be a fight in a field game. In all my years of playing field I've never seen a fight. Again, not sure of the situation but I hope there will be strict punishment.

Tue May 04, 2004 2:08 pm #3

The London tournament had an unfortunate situation between players from the KW team and the Brampton team. It was unfortunate in the fact that the referees did not have control of the game. It was unfortunate that poor sportsmanship led to taunting of players from the KW team by the Brampton team, one player in particular. It was unfortunate that parents from the one team were also encouraging their players to "get em". It was also unfortunate that these same parents "congratulated" their sons, and other boys for fighting. It is also unfortunate that a player from the Brampton team took it upon himself to carry on his beef in the parking lot of the school. Lacrosse is a tough sport...yes...but tough is not fighting...tough is being able to walk away when someone with a thug mentality tries to ruin an otherwise good game, with his "non lacrosse" skills. Fortunately the KW players involved were able to find good in all of this, as they are developing skills that will keep them from joining this sort of activity the next time. I don't totally blame the ref's for all of this, but they have to find ways to keep control of the game. We as parents also have to do our part in keeping the violence down, and that includes keeping the encouragement to fight OUT OF THE GAME. Lets get back to playing lacrosse.
1st off it wasnt the brampton kid who started the fight it was the KW kid who started it all so please get your story straight b4 you accuse someone. thanks

Tue May 04, 2004 7:25 pm #4

I am not into starting arguements, just into relaying thoughts as I see them....either way I hope you (a player as it would appear) would agree that lacrosse is a rough sport but much more enjoyable when there is control, and a level of finesse as part of the game. The message is not to place blame but to try to encourage parents, coaches and referees to regain control over the way the game is "suppose" to be played. Thankyou for your response even though we remain in disagreement.

Tue May 04, 2004 7:33 pm #5

I wasnt there so I cant comment on the situation, but there is no place in Field lacrosse for fighting, by all means lay a huge hit, but never should thier be a fight in a field game. In all my years of playing field I've never seen a fight. Again, not sure of the situation but I hope there will be strict punishment.
Fighting is, and will always be, part of the game. The sad part was not the fight on the field. The sad part about this incident was the parents encouragement to "get em", the parents congratulations after the fight, and the physical confrontation in the parking lot after the fact. I understand that the Brampton coach did, in fact, give his team a talking to regarding the incident, as did the KW coach. The physical nature of the game, and the odd minor incident does make the game a little more interesting, but I would suggest that if you can't control your urge to fight, then take up boxing. As parents, coaches and referees we have to start giving our support to games well played and not well FOUGHT.

Wed May 05, 2004 12:43 am #6

Before you blame people for the event that happened you should honestly get your facts straight. I recall the KW player throwing two punches to the Brampton players face on the field and the brampton player not retaliating. You are correct about the refs not having control as they were atleast 20 yards away from the players at the time of the dispute. To try and save the composure of the game they ejected both players. After they were ejected the KW player came to the section of the parking lot where the Brampton player was getting changed and started another dispute, where the KW player again threw the first punch. Unfortunate for him he recieved a bloody nose for being stupid.

You are right that field lacrosse is a gentlemans sport and there is no room for fighting. Problems such as this shoudl be dealt with much harsher and referees need to take some control of the game.

Wed May 05, 2004 2:05 am #7

I am not into starting arguements, just into relaying thoughts as I see them....either way I hope you (a player as it would appear) would agree that lacrosse is a rough sport but much more enjoyable when there is control, and a level of finesse as part of the game. The message is not to place blame but to try to encourage parents, coaches and referees to regain control over the way the game is "suppose" to be played. Thankyou for your response even though we remain in disagreement.
i do agree with u, with most things just the fight we have disagreements is all

Wed May 05, 2004 6:31 am #8

Maybe ALL systems should make the parents and players sign such forms.
-----------------------------------------------------------
PARENTAL CODE OF CONDUCT

1. I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning, so that he/she will not feel defeated at the outcome of a game.
2. I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
3. I will praise my child for trying hard and competing fairly, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
4. I will never ridicule or yell at my child, other players, coaches or officials. I will cheer all good plays and avoid booing opponents.
5. I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches and officials who give their time to my child.
6. I will remember that the players are amateurs that cannot be judged by the standard of a professional lacrosse team.
7. I understand that all officials do their utmost to be impartial to provide a safe and suitable framework that the game is well played and I will respect their decisions.
8. I will not question the officials’ bias or judgement in public.
9. I will show respect for my team’s opponents, because without them there would be no game.
10.I will not use profanity, nor will I harass players, coaches, officials, or other spectators.
11.I will remember that my child plays lacrosse for his/her enjoyment and not mine.
12.I will not force my child to participate in lacrosse.

I _____________________________________ promise to abide by the Association’s Code of Conduct.
(Please print your name)

Parent Signature: X _______________________________________

Date: ______________

PLAYERS CODE OF CONDUCT

1. I will follow the rules of FAIR PLAY: I will respect the rules of the game, I will respect my opponents, I will respect the officials and their decisions, everyone will participate, and I will maintain my self-control at all times.
2. On game day, all players shall be in the dressing room at least 30 minutes prior to game time. Players shall be fully dressed and ready to go at least 15 minutes prior to game time. This period will be necessary to discuss team strategies and game plans. If you require more time to dress, come earlier.
3. On practice day, players shall be in the dressing room at least 20 minutes prior to practice time.
4. Players shall participate in every game and every practice except for illness, injury, or school events. If a player must miss a game or practice, he/she must contact the team manager or coach as soon as possible.
5. School shall take precedence over Lacrosse.
6. Foul language towards teammates, coaches, officials, or opponents will not be tolerated.
7. Players shall not be critical of teammates and never discuss teammates’ abilities except to encourage good team play.
8. Hot-dogging will not be tolerated.
9. Players are responsible for their own equipment and will ensure it is complete, safe, and in good condition at all times.
10. Each player shall use his/her own water bottle.
11. Lacrosse is a team sport. I am on a team and will be a team player.
12. Winning isn’t everything. Doing my best in all games and practices IS everything.
13. I will respect all my teammates and my competitors.
14. If I score a goal I will thank my line-mates for helping me score the goal. If we get scored on when I am on the floor, I will encourage my goalie and try harder to help him next time.
15. I will listen to my coaches’ instructions.
16.Each Player represents the game of lacrosse, the lacrosse association, and their team. Players shall conduct themselves in a dignified manner at all times, especially on ‘the road’.

I agree to follow the Club Rules.

Player Signature: X ___________________________________
Parent Signature: X ___________________________________ Date: ________________
Last edited by olaf_admin on Wed May 05, 2004 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 05, 2004 11:13 am #9

Fighting is, and will always be, part of the game. The sad part was not the fight on the field. The sad part about this incident was the parents encouragement to "get em", the parents congratulations after the fight, and the physical confrontation in the parking lot after the fact. I understand that the Brampton coach did, in fact, give his team a talking to regarding the incident, as did the KW coach. The physical nature of the game, and the odd minor incident does make the game a little more interesting, but I would suggest that if you can't control your urge to fight, then take up boxing. As parents, coaches and referees we have to start giving our support to games well played and not well FOUGHT.
We at the OMFLL do not believe fighting should be part of the game and have taken steps over the past few years to try and bring the message home. If a player is assessed with a fighting penalty, he/she is suspended from the game they are in and the next game. If they are in a second fight in the season, they are suspend for the season. This year, we did a similar control with slashing, which many times leads to fighting. The penalty for a slash is a minimum 2 minute personal, if the player receives 3 slash penalties in one game, they are ejected for that game. This game should have 4 referees however, cost and bodies limit us to 2 officials on the fields, so as parents, coaches and players, we must control ourselves and just have fun playing/watching the game of field lacrosse. We must remember, this is only a game, a great game and we should have fun, not blemish the sport by bringing violence into it.

Wed May 05, 2004 8:59 pm #10

Fighting has never been a part of field lacrosse. I do agree that fighting is a part of the box game, but as a rule, the field game has been commonly referred to as a "Gentleman's Game". Perhaps because field lacrosse has not been widely played in Canada, the fighting aspect becomes apparent due to the fact that many teams approach the game as box lacrosse played outdoors. Once EVERYONE involved (coaches, parents and players)becomes responsible and realizes that a team with class is respected much more than a team that turns to fighting/trash talking/cheap shots, then this game can be played the way it is supposed to be played. I do not blame anyone in particular, but perhaps it is time that EVERYONE looks at what they can do to promote the way field lacrosse should be played.