London Senior Box?

This forum is now archived. Please post Sr. B & Can-Am info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

London Senior Box?

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:48 am #1

Is there any Senior (not masters) rec or C-level boxla in the London area? Organized and/or drop-in is cool. I will be in town mid-May to start school at UWO.

If there is sufficient interest, I am willing to start up and run a Senior C team (same as B but with no pro's or A-ball players) with a view to attending the newly CLA-sanctioned Senior C Nationals tourney in Prince George BC on Labour Day weekend, or else in 2007 (most likely to be held in Regina).

I grew up playing in Niagara and spent the last 2 seasons with the Regina Heat (senior C).

Hook a brother up, anyone?

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:35 am #2

to my knowledge there is not.

im not even sure there is masters.

you could probably get in touch with the UWO head coach televi to get more info on lacrosse in london.

about the only competitive lacrosse full contact youll find around london is in sarnia, sr b, and in kw, now major.

there is no sr c league in ontario

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:16 pm #3

Thanks. Senior C is on the rise out west and I hope it catches on in Ontario, especially now that there is a national championship. It's a great alternative to B-ball for guys who can't/won't commit to prohibitive travel and practice schedules or who don't have quite the skill to make a B-roster. As well, out west you see talented ex-WLA or Sr B players on C-teams: guys who are older but still fit enough for full-contact box.

I suspect there should be enough interest to fill this niche in a city the size of London and surrounding area. Ditto for the Niagara Penninsula, where in fact there used to be such a league back in the day ( a 4-team loop out of St. Catharines/Niagara that played in the outdoor Haig Bowl - very competitive)>

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:46 pm #4

i dont share your optimism.

i think theyve filled that void around ontario with masters lacrosse, seems the people here that are older just want to play once a week and not get hit.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:39 pm #5

I appreciate the heads-up oldtimer, but we'll see...!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:01 pm #6

Is there any Senior (not masters) rec or C-level boxla in the London area? Organized and/or drop-in is cool. I will be in town mid-May to start school at UWO.

If there is sufficient interest, I am willing to start up and run a Senior C team (same as B but with no pro's or A-ball players) with a view to attending the newly CLA-sanctioned Senior C Nationals tourney in Prince George BC on Labour Day weekend, or else in 2007 (most likely to be held in Regina).

I grew up playing in Niagara and spent the last 2 seasons with the Regina Heat (senior C).

If you are looking to take a team out west, to the senior C championships, you would probably get some interest from local guys. The last couple of years Derek Blasutti from Brampton put together a couple of teams and entered a box tourny down in Truro Nova Scotia. It was made up of Masters players and a mix of Senior B players who did not make the playoffs. If you wanted to put it together im sure you would get guys to go.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:21 am #7

I appreciate the heads-up oldtimer, but we'll see...!
lol

im 22 years old. i just know lacrosse in and around london. and there just isnt enough interest to for a competitive sr team, let alone league. i wish you luck though, and as i suggested, get in touch with televi. hes probably the best in position to help you out

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:34 pm #8

Ray seems to feel differently (see his post) and it makes sense to me, given the numbers out there. Can't wait to prove you wrong and again, thanks for your input, skeptical or otherwise.

You may be right re: interest in the immediate London area, in that any interested players may have to travel further than they're used to for southern Ontario, but remember this is not a 3-day or even 2-day per week commitment like B-ball would be.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 pm #9

There isn't much pickup lacrosse in London right now, but we'll get together to play some pickup box and field later in the summer. We also have a great winter league (The Federal Lacrosse League) with local junior and senior players. The FLL starts in January and runs till mid-March or April. No practices, just games on Sunday nights.

If you're going to be studying full-time at UWO, you'll be eligble to play with UWO in the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association. The league doesn't get a lot of press, but it's probably the best field league in Canada. Last fall, UWO finished 2nd in regular season play before losing to Guelph in the semi-finals. CUFLA runs from September (frosh week) to early November.

If you want more info, send me an email.

Mike Frith
frithmike@yahoo.ca

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 pm #10

If you are looking to take a team out west, to the senior C championships, you would probably get some interest from local guys. The last couple of years Derek Blasutti from Brampton put together a couple of teams and entered a box tourny down in Truro Nova Scotia. It was made up of Masters players and a mix of Senior B players who did not make the playoffs. If you wanted to put it together im sure you would get guys to go.
That's encouraging news - thanks! Maybe I can hook up with that team for this year's tournamnent and sell them on attending C-Nationals in PG ('06) or Regina ('07). I have a buddy who played for us in Regina the last couple seasons and now lives in TO. He's an ex-NLL and ex-WLA player not currently with any team, who would also probably be up for either or both tournaments.