Lax Goalie Equipment rules

Lax Goalie Equipment rules

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:29 pm #1

Just had a boy at my house picking up some equipment. Father told me because of his age he is supposed to wear level 1 box equipment but he is too big. OLA apparently says no exceptions, not even with a doctors note (usually acceptable).If this is true, the OLA has it's head stuck in the sand. We see goalies stretch the rules once they get into Level 3 equipment but's what's more important here, the kids health, safety and most importantly self confidence or the rules.The OLA needs to give the ref's some guidance on what's acceptable, not pigeon hole every kid the same umbrella. They all come in different sizes last time I checked.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 am #2

This was what was told to referees in the clinics this year. The obvious reason is to avoid cheating as, under the old 'doctor note' system, anyone could simply get a doctors' note and have their child wear over-sized equipment. Whether either method is the right or wrong way to go about this issue is one thing. I think it has to be said that this kid has to be abnormally large to literally not fit into the equipment of his age group. If that is actually the case I'd suggest going directly to the OLA and petition the case.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:09 am #3

My son plays novice and could not be a goalie. He is 130 pounds and cannot wear Cat1 equipment. He does not want to play goalie but if he did he cannot fit into the equipment. The OLA is going to have problems this year with younger age groups as there are larger kids out there that want to play goal but cannot fit into the equipment for their age group. The goalie on his team is huge and is wearing some Cat 3 gear now his team is going to be penalized all year because of the size of their goalie.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:11 pm #4

When is Boddam going to come out with Gloves ? Call me Old, But i seem to remember a time when Lacrosse Goalies Wore a "Hockey Blocker" .... I would like to see Gloves with a little more protection for the Goalies on the Hands.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 pm #5

BTW, I'm new here. I'm Bill and live in the Midwest US not too far from St. Louis. As you can imagine, finding good used gear is not possible here so I look to Canada and if anyone has those now illegal Boddam legs, the older stuff, 20" and larger in all black, I'm open for discussion.

On the gloves, the gloves that the pros wear are of course made for them by Reebok and aren't sold to the general public. People in the know say that the protection is no better than what you might buy.

I have asked the same question as to why the gloves aren't more protective, but the CLA seems to be on that mindset that the gear is not intended to be used to block the ball in play. Forget the fact you're being shot at from high speeds and while someone from Montreal who has played as and has coached goalies is on their executive panel, I don't think he gets it either.

A US company that is working on Kevlar backed padding will fortify gloves but it's $150 to do so. Here's the site:http://www.unequal.com/

I found them when I was looking at ways to fortify gear myself.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50 am #6

search kijiji ontario for out of date goalie gear.When it's on there its really cheap.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:37 pm #7

BTW, I'm new here. I'm Bill and live in the Midwest US not too far from St. Louis. As you can imagine, finding good used gear is not possible here so I look to Canada and if anyone has those now illegal Boddam legs, the older stuff, 20" and larger in all black, I'm open for discussion.

On the gloves, the gloves that the pros wear are of course made for them by Reebok and aren't sold to the general public. People in the know say that the protection is no better than what you might buy.

I have asked the same question as to why the gloves aren't more protective, but the CLA seems to be on that mindset that the gear is not intended to be used to block the ball in play. Forget the fact you're being shot at from high speeds and while someone from Montreal who has played as and has coached goalies is on their executive panel, I don't think he gets it either.

A US company that is working on Kevlar backed padding will fortify gloves but it's $150 to do so. Here's the site:http://www.unequal.com/

I found them when I was looking at ways to fortify gear myself.

I have the leg guards and uppers you are talking about. Email me at tomb@rockway.ca

Tom

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:54 pm #8

search kijiji ontario for out of date goalie gear.When it's on there its really cheap.
I do check there but when you send email messages to the sellers, mine anyway don't seem to get through. Being in the US, they also try to redirect me to their US sites. Some of them are sensible with what they ask for, some are not and I know what the new costs are and what's reasonable. Good used shouldn't be ridiculously cheap or out of reach expensive.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:56 pm #9

I have the leg guards and uppers you are talking about. Email me at tomb@rockway.ca

Tom
I did as soon as I saw your reply for the 1st time.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 pm #10

When is Boddam going to come out with Gloves ? Call me Old, But i seem to remember a time when Lacrosse Goalies Wore a "Hockey Blocker" .... I would like to see Gloves with a little more protection for the Goalies on the Hands.
My son is first year novice and is 5'1" and a 140 lbs and plays goalie. Cat. 2 fits him perfect but the rules aren't there for safety reasons they are the CLA's guess on what they feel is right, but honestly they don't have a clue. I have petitione the OLA and CLA and there is nothing that can be done this year, a request has to be submitted to the CLA by March first so it can be brought up at the equipment review meeting. I sent doctor's notes, pictures, graph's and had him sized by a well known retailer and well known manufacturer and both stated he should be wearing Cat.2, Cat.1's are un safe. Boddam now makes a 13" Cat.1 lower which is bigger and you can have uppers custom made or altered for more protection. You just have to make sure they will meet CLA standards. you can add length to the belly pad and arms and it meets CLA standards. You can't add height or width to the shoulders. They have to stay within the height off the top of the shoulder, AND THE CLA RULE THAT MAKES NO SENSE is the overall width cannot exceed 20". I have know idea why PW and up as a maximum measurement off each shoulder but Novice and Tyke have an overall maximum. My son is 19.5" from outside shoulder to outside shoulder, it is almost impossible to meet the 20" maximum rule. I was told by the OLA and CLA my choices are to wear equipment that is unsafe or not play at all. That is great advice from a sport that cannot afford to lose kids.