Last year for Intermediate...

Last year for Intermediate...

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:30 am #1

If you are not an Intermediate rookie than this just may be your last year of lacrosse!
So enjoy your provs!
Yes, the OLA is going to push to reduce our age group to 16-17!
Our centre will die (midland) as every player except 1 will become ineligible.
How will yours do?
Your association needs to be ready to vote this down but a petition by those affected most would really help make sure that this wrong headed ideas does not even come to a vote!
I can easily list a dozen reasons why this should not happen.
Anyone out there have reasons why it should?

V

P.S- earlier this year the OLA stated in their mag that they were going to "gather input" on this.... has anyone been approached for theirs yet? Nothing has come from our zone or the OLA. Don't mess up a good thing folks!

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:45 am #2

The motivation behind this has to be to bolster the Junior ranks, specifically Jr. C. Has the Jr. C league made its expansion plans clear and could it handle such massive growth? I'm with you, Intermediate lacrosse is good for a lot of centres and a lot of players. This is the 100th anniversary year of Intermediate lacrosse. I would hate to see it be the last.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:18 pm #3

I would like to know what is the reason for this change.
Intermediate is great for those who either don't want the commitment of JR (for School and/or work reasons) of even those who don't make Jr. These guy's still love the game and let's face it, alot of these guy's are the one's who are comming back as coaches and other positions.
Why is the OLA saying they want what is best for the game short & long term, yet they are putting rules in place that is going to chase people from the sport?
I have yet to hear one good argument in favor of this change.
And yes in our center, this would kill intermediate.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:48 pm #4

If you are not an Intermediate rookie than this just may be your last year of lacrosse!
So enjoy your provs!
How will yours do?
Your association needs to be ready to vote this down but a petition by those affected most would really help make sure that this wrong headed ideas does not even come to a vote!

V

P.S- earlier this year the OLA stated in their mag that they were going to "gather input" on this.... has anyone been approached for theirs yet? Nothing has come from our zone or the OLA. Don't mess up a good thing folks!
She:kon!

As I understand it, there is talk that the Intermediate age division will be split into two groups - a 17 & 18 year old age division and a 19-21 age division - sort of like Intermediate and Juvenile.  The reason for this is to allow two more years of "minor" for the younger players to develop skills.  It would not end lacrosse for players over the age of 18.

If I understand things correctly, yes it would provide more incentive and impetus for Jr levels, especially if Jr C expands, but would allow for U21 players to keep playing.  I believe the idea is to allow call-ups from the younger division to the older division similar in the way that Midgets can be called up to Intermediate now.  So if a small centre U21 team is missing a few players, they can call from their U18 team to fill in all year as long as the call-up doesn't play in two provincial finals.

One real problem that will have to be dealt with through an OLA by-law change is how Jr. teams affiliate.  For instance, if a Jr B team already has two affiliations and one of those affilations is an Intermediate team, are they going to raise the limit as to how many affiliations a Jr B team can have?  If they up the affiliations to three or more per Jr B team, that is going to lead to some very interesting affiliation scenarios.

There are quite a few valid arguments on both sides of the issue and it should be a lively debate at the AGM.  Or at least one hopes it does.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm #5

I would like to know what is the reason for this change.
Intermediate is great for those who either don't want the commitment of JR (for School and/or work reasons) of even those who don't make Jr. These guy's still love the game and let's face it, alot of these guy's are the one's who are comming back as coaches and other positions.
Why is the OLA saying they want what is best for the game short & long term, yet they are putting rules in place that is going to chase people from the sport?
I have yet to hear one good argument in favor of this change.
And yes in our center, this would kill intermediate.
It's a bad idea and there is no way the OLA can implement this for 2010.They will lose the whole Intermediate age group.At best maybe three Associations will be looking for a Jr C franchise next year.These Associations would have to be planning this RIGHT NOW not after being told at the AGM that Intermediate age grouping will change.There has to be a two/three year plan at least so every Association can make proper decisions.We are another Association that would not have Intermediate or Jr lacrosse and we are in A division.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:50 pm #6

She:kon!

As I understand it, there is talk that the Intermediate age division will be split into two groups - a 17 & 18 year old age division and a 19-21 age division - sort of like Intermediate and Juvenile.  The reason for this is to allow two more years of "minor" for the younger players to develop skills.  It would not end lacrosse for players over the age of 18.

If I understand things correctly, yes it would provide more incentive and impetus for Jr levels, especially if Jr C expands, but would allow for U21 players to keep playing.  I believe the idea is to allow call-ups from the younger division to the older division similar in the way that Midgets can be called up to Intermediate now.  So if a small centre U21 team is missing a few players, they can call from their U18 team to fill in all year as long as the call-up doesn't play in two provincial finals.

One real problem that will have to be dealt with through an OLA by-law change is how Jr. teams affiliate.  For instance, if a Jr B team already has two affiliations and one of those affilations is an Intermediate team, are they going to raise the limit as to how many affiliations a Jr B team can have?  If they up the affiliations to three or more per Jr B team, that is going to lead to some very interesting affiliation scenarios.

There are quite a few valid arguments on both sides of the issue and it should be a lively debate at the AGM.  Or at least one hopes it does.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...
This is the way it was proposed at our zone meeting also. I think it would be a good idea to split the age groups and form a juvi and intermediate. Some 17-18yr olds cannot compete with 21 yr olds and therefore leave the game anyway. If your association does not have the numbers for two divisions (such as ours) then they may possibly be able to floor a intermediate team using juvi aged players.

Doug

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:35 pm #7

My understanding is that if the association cannot field teams by the age groups, they can form a Juvi team using Intermediate players.....Intermediate can play Juvi, but Juvi cannot play Intermediate.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:15 am #8

So enjoy your provs!
How will yours do?

V

If this were 10 years ago I would support the OLA for dumping the whole lot of them. Since then this group has developed into a highly skilled competetive group. They are now one of the least penalized lacrosse leagues that exist.
This years Conradi was the best lacrosse I've seen in years and yes with penalty free games. Can anyone point to a competetive penalty free Junior game?
The Intermediate players do so because they love the game, it has nothing to do with glory.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:50 am #9

My understanding is that if the association cannot field teams by the age groups, they can form a Juvi team using Intermediate players.....Intermediate can play Juvi, but Juvi cannot play Intermediate.
So, let me get this straight. If a small centre (like pretty much all of Wellington County) is unable to field teams in both of the new age groups (created to prevent younger players from playing older players), we are going to let their younger players play at the higher level against teams made up exclusively of older players?
How does this make any kind of sense at all?
It only increases the danger, which, having coached at intermediate for about 4 years with the expanded age range, i have never seen. I have also never had a kid quit because he was afraid of the older players either. Maybe we just make them tougher in Welly.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:47 am #10

I only state what I have been told. If you think about it, you wouldn't do it the other way around, cause that is what they are trying to get away from. They are not going to allow the 19-21 year olds (Juvi) to play in the 17-18 (Intermediate) division, but if the younger need to play (and want to) in the older division to make a single team in that association than fine.

I myself do not agree with it at all. It is working fine now and they should leave it as is. It doesn't take a brain trust to figure out that centres can't make two teams today, and they won't tomorrow. Even the large centres won't have enough players to make two teams, forcing kids to either move to another centre or quit playing.

They should be looking at ways to make the game better, not end it for the kids that want to play.