Lakers lose

Lakers lose

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:10 am #1

The Lakers lose Game 6 9-7 as Brampton is on their way to Langley.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 am #2

I'm one of those people who've had it with Brampton-Peterborough finals, as good as the games have been for nine years. That said, Brampton shed numerous all stars this season and replaced them with younger, hungrier players. With fewer big names, but intense team work and dedication, they developed an entertaining, crushing defense that few could answer. It's a thing of beauty to see them knock off the high priced Lakers, despite the absence of Excelsior stalwarts like Sanderson, B. Merrill, Blaine Manning, etc.

Yes, Peterborough largely features Peterborough area players but that nonsense of buying Tavares, Steenhuis, Goodleaf, etc. when the Akwesasne Thunder folded really pissed me off. No one should've ended up with that much talent in one fell swoop, particularly in a league where some teams struggle to be competitive. I've called the Lakers a "Mann rental company" ever since, the Ryder trucks or UHauls of the lacrosse world. This feels like a victory of smaller teams over higher priced talent, a fact I find ironic since Brampton has a long history of buying players.

That was then, this is now: Brampton earned the title the right way. The Chiefs (another nominee for "Mann rental" status in 2011) and the Lakers sit on the sidelines, as do New Westminster and Victoria out west. They'll be watching Langley play Brampton in what should be an interesting Mann Cup pitting upstart vs upstart, team work vs team work. I should've went out west this year!

Congrats to the Excelsiors!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:35 am #3

The Lakers lose Game 6 9-7 as Brampton is on their way to Langley.
The Lakers have some players who may have played their last game . I heard that they had talked Toll out of retiring earlier in the season .How about Driscoll ? Have we seen John Tavares play his last summer game ?( I hope not ).Just for discussion what do you think ?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:39 am #4

I'm one of those people who've had it with Brampton-Peterborough finals, as good as the games have been for nine years. That said, Brampton shed numerous all stars this season and replaced them with younger, hungrier players. With fewer big names, but intense team work and dedication, they developed an entertaining, crushing defense that few could answer. It's a thing of beauty to see them knock off the high priced Lakers, despite the absence of Excelsior stalwarts like Sanderson, B. Merrill, Blaine Manning, etc.

Yes, Peterborough largely features Peterborough area players but that nonsense of buying Tavares, Steenhuis, Goodleaf, etc. when the Akwesasne Thunder folded really pissed me off. No one should've ended up with that much talent in one fell swoop, particularly in a league where some teams struggle to be competitive. I've called the Lakers a "Mann rental company" ever since, the Ryder trucks or UHauls of the lacrosse world. This feels like a victory of smaller teams over higher priced talent, a fact I find ironic since Brampton has a long history of buying players.

That was then, this is now: Brampton earned the title the right way. The Chiefs (another nominee for "Mann rental" status in 2011) and the Lakers sit on the sidelines, as do New Westminster and Victoria out west. They'll be watching Langley play Brampton in what should be an interesting Mann Cup pitting upstart vs upstart, team work vs team work. I should've went out west this year!

I agree Peterborough has gotten out of hand with buying players, which I actually believe lead to their downfall. Too many superstars is never a good thing.

However, Brampton didn't go find "free" or homegrown younger talent. They went out and bought Zack and Bill Greer, Restarits brothers, Joe Walters and Jarrett Davis. The majority of their offense is purchased.

The biggest difference was the Lakers put all their money in offense and old stars and not doing enough to secure their goaltending. Even with Mike Thompson, the Lakers would still have lost that series. Until Peterborough sheds some of the older dead weight and continues to have mediocre goaltending, they won't win any titles for a while.

While we're on the topic of buying championships, Bramptons hometown talent all went and got paid to win a Presidents trophy anyways. It doesn't matter what level of lacrosse, from Junior A to Senior A teams are buying championships.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:54 am #5

The Lakers have some players who may have played their last game . I heard that they had talked Toll out of retiring earlier in the season .How about Driscoll ? Have we seen John Tavares play his last summer game ?( I hope not ).Just for discussion what do you think ?
If Tavares is forced to retire as a player, he will come back as a goalie!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:57 am #6

Good points Daverlax. I agree with you on JT, I hope he hangs around from a lacrosse fan's point of view. John Grant showed he's still a great player on one knee. But at the same time, I sensed as the series went on, even though Brampton had played an extra round and had to fight for what they got every game all season, there was more left in the tank. Once they got up three tonight, Peterborough didn't have any gas left in the tank for a comeback.

It would be hard to overlook goaltending too. Goodleaf wasn't bad, but he wasn't good enough to win singlehandedly. Cosmo was.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:02 am #7

I agree Peterborough has gotten out of hand with buying players, which I actually believe lead to their downfall. Too many superstars is never a good thing.

However, Brampton didn't go find "free" or homegrown younger talent. They went out and bought Zack and Bill Greer, Restarits brothers, Joe Walters and Jarrett Davis. The majority of their offense is purchased.

The biggest difference was the Lakers put all their money in offense and old stars and not doing enough to secure their goaltending. Even with Mike Thompson, the Lakers would still have lost that series. Until Peterborough sheds some of the older dead weight and continues to have mediocre goaltending, they won't win any titles for a while.

While we're on the topic of buying championships, Bramptons hometown talent all went and got paid to win a Presidents trophy anyways. It doesn't matter what level of lacrosse, from Junior A to Senior A teams are buying championships.
Valid critique. These names you mentioned definitely weren't homegrown; some aren't even Canadian! I agree that Brampton's victory is more the result of changing the pool they rent from, picking fresher names that haven't been in the final dozens of times, younger and/or hungrier players as I mentioned. But since it wasn't the same old names punching their ticket to the Mann final, they felt fresher. There was also some risk: what if Z. Greer was too green? What if Walters couldn't adapt to summer box, which can be quite physical? The risk, albeit calculated, is what excited me. We've had the same teams competing for nine years. Any variety is appreciated!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:57 pm #8

You would have been really upset to see Peterborough buy Owen Sound's three best players then go on to win 4 Mann Cups in a row. Meanwhile the 1950 champs were out of Sr.A lacrosse two years later. Next the Trailermen proceeded to raid from St.Catharines' 1946-49 Junior dynasty. And worst of all, it was worth it. What Peterborough accomplished in the early 1950s allowed them to dominate lacrosse for the next four decades.

Contrast that to the Six Nations Chiefs of 1994-96. The next thing you know, the owner is hiding out in Texas and the money is all gone.

I guarantee Teddy Higgins is not just going to pull his money and leave the Lakers high and dry. What he has accomplished the past decade - bringing the Lakers back from the dead - has created a boom which Peterborough minor will benefit from for years to come.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:25 am #9

If Tavares is forced to retire as a player, he will come back as a goalie!
Maybe we would see Bob Watson come out of retirement, play as a runner and take out Taveras when he leaves his crease to play a ball!