Lacrosse operators . You need to see this!

Lacrosse operators . You need to see this!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:13 pm #1

I mean right from House league to the Pros ,there is a huge new audience for you to tap into, once again Hockey beat you to it .http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor ... e17344040/

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 am #2

nm

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:36 pm #3

If thats life, and thats lacrosse according to you ,we should just ignore the fact that Canada has a very diverse cultural demographic? its narrow mindedness like that that keeps our game in the backwaters. I bet the Rock would love to have another 5-7000 fans per game no matter what their background , their money is the same colour. Hockey people are leaps and bounds ahead of lacrosse ie: Hockey Night in Canada in Punjabi or programmes to ingratiate new Canadians. Look in the stands at any lacrosse game there is an abundant lack of "Non white " faces. These are potential fans and die hards of this great game, so far I have seen the CLA or OLA do nothing to attract this potential huge fan base.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 pm #4

Ronnie...maybe you should expand your live game attendance beyond Redmen games? May I suggest attending a game at the ILA to start.

In reality, you are perfectly correct in saying that our game does a terrible job of trying to expand into new areas of growth beyond the tried and true that have always worked. I think this is just a symptom of the larger problem with the game's leadership rather than a problem in itself.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 pm #5

If thats life, and thats lacrosse according to you ,we should just ignore the fact that Canada has a very diverse cultural demographic? its narrow mindedness like that that keeps our game in the backwaters. I bet the Rock would love to have another 5-7000 fans per game no matter what their background , their money is the same colour. Hockey people are leaps and bounds ahead of lacrosse ie: Hockey Night in Canada in Punjabi or programmes to ingratiate new Canadians. Look in the stands at any lacrosse game there is an abundant lack of "Non white " faces. These are potential fans and die hards of this great game, so far I have seen the CLA or OLA do nothing to attract this potential huge fan base.
I was being facetious. In meaning, I agree, this always happens, nature of the beast... I could go on and on. Hockey is ahead of lacrosse, because it is treated like a business with set goals, action plans, projection targets, etc... There is no excuse for lacrosse's inability to capture new people to the game or even new money to the game. Absolutely no excuses.

For the majority we are a great community of people who truly care for one another. However, many others contribute to the negative and stagnant growth. Which happens at the minor level all the way to the top. This is true in other sports. But because of lacrosse's incestuous nature we are incapable of accepting or even listening to reason beyond our immediate group.

There are those who are forward thinking and hopefully they gain traction.

But for for all intents and purposes Ron, I was and do agree with you.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:11 pm #6

I kind of thought you were . As some have noted here before, I care about everyone and, I care about the game. Its too bad that lacrosse tends to ignore the changing face of Canada and instead the governing body seems to keep chasing the Olympic Dream. Instead of looking after things at home . I have attended, and worked at enough lacrosse games over the years to know that my view of the makeup of our fan base is correct. Sam Rook uses the ILA analogy to make a point that is just dumb, Sam I am talking about everywhere .I have never seen a lacrosse promotional poster in any language other than English. Why arent the Rock ,faced with declining attendance "mining" every ethnic group out there? . Why doesnt the OLA / CLA do the same? I have been promoting the game of Lacrosse for 40 years. My head is getting sore from the bashing it takes from the Wall and some of the people that run the game.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:05 am #7

I was being facetious. In meaning, I agree, this always happens, nature of the beast... I could go on and on. Hockey is ahead of lacrosse, because it is treated like a business with set goals, action plans, projection targets, etc... There is no excuse for lacrosse's inability to capture new people to the game or even new money to the game. Absolutely no excuses.

For the majority we are a great community of people who truly care for one another. However, many others contribute to the negative and stagnant growth. Which happens at the minor level all the way to the top. This is true in other sports. But because of lacrosse's incestuous nature we are incapable of accepting or even listening to reason beyond our immediate group.

There are those who are forward thinking and hopefully they gain traction.

But for for all intents and purposes Ron, I was and do agree with you.
She:kon!

"But because of lacrosse's incestuous nature we are incapable of accepting or even listening to reason beyond our immediate group." Zing!

I would add too that some are incapable of accepting or even listening to reason within our immediate group. I've seen way too much of that lately for my own liking. Oh well.

FWIW, upon asking the diversity question to one old-timer, his response was that if we can't even market lacrosse to white folks in Brampton, what's the point of going after the non-white folks? I have no answer for that.

Does anyone?

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 am #8

Truth be told, the old timer was correct in your posting.
Not nearly "enough people" period, attending Brampton games.
I'm sure this could be said for other communities as well (?)
Here's hoping this year will be better for all.

Drawman

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:42 am #9

Me too Draw Guy , Thats what worries me.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:37 pm #10

I kind of thought you were . As some have noted here before, I care about everyone and, I care about the game. Its too bad that lacrosse tends to ignore the changing face of Canada and instead the governing body seems to keep chasing the Olympic Dream. Instead of looking after things at home . I have attended, and worked at enough lacrosse games over the years to know that my view of the makeup of our fan base is correct. Sam Rook uses the ILA analogy to make a point that is just dumb, Sam I am talking about everywhere .I have never seen a lacrosse promotional poster in any language other than English. Why arent the Rock ,faced with declining attendance "mining" every ethnic group out there? . Why doesnt the OLA / CLA do the same? I have been promoting the game of Lacrosse for 40 years. My head is getting sore from the bashing it takes from the Wall and some of the people that run the game.
Ron,

My ILA point was a silly joke not an actual point.

The real reason their is zero marketing to non-traditional markets is because our game is run by too many old white people from small towns with little to no real connection to other ethnic groups.

Is there a Native representation on the OLA Executive or Board of Governors? If we cannot even have a Native voice there than how can we reasonably expect that any other voices will get served? Maybe it's time for the OLA to create a new Executive position to foster stronger input from the people who gave us this game?