Just wondering

Just wondering

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:41 pm #1

What happened to the Jr.A lacrosse season? Yes I know what's going on. Is anyone else annoyed by the season being suspended in the middle of playoffs? Perhaps I'm just an unpatriotic bum who can't appreciate the great value of flag waving but the OLA Jr.A championship has been competed for since 1901. The Jr.A league, in its current format, goes back to 1951. How old is this U19 championship? Shouldn't they be scheduling around our schedule? It's not like our season is ten months long(and soccer manages to hold countless world championships and qualifiers with minimal disruption to the established leagues). May-August, that's it. That leaves the U19 crowd 8 months to choose from. And they choose to hold their tournament right in the middle of our season. What frustrates me is that the Jr.A Council has one job - to look out for the interests of the Jr.A league - yet they cave in with seemingly no fight at all.

I think it's admirable that these world championship types have such a passion for growing the game that they get whatever they want whenever they want. As I've hinted at in other posts, I am disappointed that the Jr.A Council does not seem to care about what's best for their league at all.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm #2

I don't think you want to be playing field lacrosse in most countrires (especially Finland) between November and March.

And you either go against the NCAA and make them budge (they won't) or you go against the summer leagues and make them budge (they will).

Or we just send 2nd rate teams to this tournament, though I don't see why that would help anyone (it would give the Aussies and England a chance much like in the 90's).

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:27 pm #3

What happened to the Jr.A lacrosse season? Yes I know what's going on. Is anyone else annoyed by the season being suspended in the middle of playoffs? Perhaps I'm just an unpatriotic bum who can't appreciate the great value of flag waving but the OLA Jr.A championship has been competed for since 1901. The Jr.A league, in its current format, goes back to 1951. How old is this U19 championship? Shouldn't they be scheduling around our schedule? It's not like our season is ten months long(and soccer manages to hold countless world championships and qualifiers with minimal disruption to the established leagues). May-August, that's it. That leaves the U19 crowd 8 months to choose from. And they choose to hold their tournament right in the middle of our season. What frustrates me is that the Jr.A Council has one job - to look out for the interests of the Jr.A league - yet they cave in with seemingly no fight at all.

I think it's admirable that these world championship types have such a passion for growing the game that they get whatever they want whenever they want. As I've hinted at in other posts, I am disappointed that the Jr.A Council does not seem to care about what's best for their league at all.
I am also concerned that at every turn box lacrosse is taking a back seat to field.
The season starts later to accommodate the NCAA field schedule. It ends sooner so the Minto Cup can be completed prior to US school.
This year many Jr A teams played a 7 week schedule. How do you build fan interest, gain sponsor support, develop players and team pirit in 7 weeks.
If the OLA is there to develop players for the NCAA lets admit it so people aren't fooled in to thinking Jr A lacrosse is a top notch league worthy of everyones interest and support.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:53 pm #4

She:kon!

Sport Canada is more concerned with international competition than domestic competition and they dole out big bucks for it.  If you want lacrosse to grow in the world, you gotta make <em>some </em>concessions to showcase the sport internationally.  Remember, national teams are the responsibility of the CLA, not the OLA.  The OLA Jr. A Council could have gone right ahead and continued the playoffs, but some teams are missing key players.  Would you want your team competing in the Jr. A playoffs missing key players?  (some would, of course, as evidenced by the recent pre-playoff trades, but I digress...) 

Thus the Jr. A Council, being the sum of it's parts, is not about to consume itself by voting against its best interests; playoffs are money makers - especially the deeper a team goes - and for the league.  <font size="2" face="verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif">I see no harm with putting the league on hiatus for a couple of weeks, other than people miffed that box is being put on hold for field lacrosse.  However, i</font>f they continued the Jr. A playoffs minus some of those key players, other people would complain about the quality of the product being offered and that might have some actual harm to the league where it counts in the long run.  The U19 Worlds are every 4 years.  It's not a hardship.  I mean if the NHL can do it for the Olympics...

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:54 pm #5

I am also concerned that at every turn box lacrosse is taking a back seat to field.
The season starts later to accommodate the NCAA field schedule. It ends sooner so the Minto Cup can be completed prior to US school.
This year many Jr A teams played a 7 week schedule. How do you build fan interest, gain sponsor support, develop players and team pirit in 7 weeks.
If the OLA is there to develop players for the NCAA lets admit it so people aren't fooled in to thinking Jr A lacrosse is a top notch league worthy of everyones interest and support.
^^^ BINGO!!! n/m

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 pm #6

The schedule for the Minto Cup has remained consistent I believe, ending on Labour Day weekend..

This shutting down the play-offs for the U19 Worlds is unprecedented. Hiowever, rather than being a sop to the ILF, it is an inidaction that Whitby, Orangeville and Six Nations run the Junior A league - they would be the most affected by absent players. I'm not sure any of the otjher teams would have cared.

OLA Junior A is clearly not a development leaguie for the NCAA as coaches don't even scout Junior A any more. All they need to do is go and watch the Hill Academy, Edge and Evolve temas and do their recruiting there and at US prep schools.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:02 pm #7

The OLA Junior A lacrosse league cannot do for the players, what the NCAA can do for them. So if your options are to play lacrosse in the NCAA and get whatever schooling you can (partial or full scholarships), or play in the Junior A league and compete to win a Championship what are you and your family going to prioritize amd look to do?

We cannot blame the players and their families for doing what is best for the players. And I respectfully disagree; I believe the Junior A Council realizes that they either cooperate by modifying their schedule, or play the 2nd round of the playoffs without the best players on their respective teams in attendance. ARe they caving? Yeah, but if they don't ,they'll lose.

To hold this Championship during the NCAA season, the top players would likely not make themselves available to play due to school commitments.

It's kind of like the old hockey vs. lacrosse problem years ago (and even today to some degree). Players will miss a lacrosse tournament for a hockey camp, but man oh man, they cannot miss a hockey tryout for a lacrosse Provincial final. So what happens? Lacrosse modifies its schedule. When you are not the top dog, you either adjust or lose out.

Ironically, I do agree with you, I am annoyed too. But we are the fans of the indoor box lacrosse game. To me it is the best, and no other game can beat it. But to be interrupted for 10-14 days, whatever it is, I will take. Because I know when they are all back we are going to be treated to some amazing lacrosse games with all of the best players playing. We cannot ask for more than that.

Gary

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:07 pm #8

The schedule for the Minto Cup has remained consistent I believe, ending on Labour Day weekend..

This shutting down the play-offs for the U19 Worlds is unprecedented. Hiowever, rather than being a sop to the ILF, it is an inidaction that Whitby, Orangeville and Six Nations run the Junior A league - they would be the most affected by absent players. I'm not sure any of the otjher teams would have cared.

OLA Junior A is clearly not a development leaguie for the NCAA as coaches don't even scout Junior A any more. All they need to do is go and watch the Hill Academy, Edge and Evolve temas and do their recruiting there and at US prep schools.
Breaking during the season is not without precedent, actually. In either '96 or 2000 the league used a small hiatus while players were away.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:10 pm #9

She:kon!

If you can find another Jr. box league in the world that can produce the quality of players and teams coming out of the OLA, please, do tell.  The fact is, the OLA Jr. A league is <strong>the best</strong> Jr. lacrosse league on the planet, even with a tight schedule every 4 years.  You have to remember that not ALL the players are beholden to the NCAA and teams continue with a core from year to year which allows for players to miss games and practices and still be a part of that team spirit. 

So yes, this year - while the World U19 Lacrosse Championships are being played - the Jr. A league is taking a "back seat" to field lacrosse for a couple of weeks.  No big deal.  Everyone still knows that box lacrosse makes for a better field player, but the reverse obviously isn't true.  Ask the US U19 team.

As for NCAA and field lacrosse, if you want to change this, lobby the CIS to get lacrosse as a full varsity sport, then start lobbying for more scholarships for CIS lacrosse.   Can you imagine if CUFLA teams started making it really easy for Ontario lacrosse players to stick around to play and get an excellent and affordable education?  <strong>;</strong><strong>)</strong>

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:23 pm #10

No reason for Canadian universities to repeat the mistakes made in the US by offering athletic aid. Many feel Canadian universities have already gone too far in that regard. Also, CIS schools have no sports that make money whereas the US has football and basketball which make money for many schools and subsidze the rest of their athletic programs.

Minor point - I'm not sure how the US U19 team's spotty results prove that playing field doesn't help make you a better box player. I think that the statement is correct, however.