Jr. Pools?????

This forum is now archived. Please post OLA Masters info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

Jr. Pools?????

Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:51 pm #1

I have to ask the question as I wasn't at the seeding meeting.
There are five teams in the 1st pool....including Whitby 1, Brooklin, Brampton, Orangeville, Mimico. Each team plays one another once.
Am I to assume that after all round robin play for all pools that the top six teams combined from all pools will move forward with the best two getting a bye to the semis.? or is it that the top two teams coming out of this first pool will both receive a bye to the semis.?

Would love to know how this is going to work?

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:10 pm #2

http://www.ontariolacrosse.com/document ... t_1080.pdf

Go to page 6 and it shows you the break down for 13 teams:

A: 1 4 7 10 13
B: 2 5 8 11
C: 3 6 9 12

Teams in all play RR in own Pool

After the Round Robin 1st and 2nd of Pools B and C will have a playoff game, with crossover.

1st and 2nd of Pool A will advance having played 4 games already

Six games to win championship

So basically you need to finish 1st or 2nd in your pool to advance.

B1 vs C2 and C1 vs B2 in a QF, winners advance to QF.

A1 & A2 advance to semi-finals.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 pm #3

look at that link and the seeding is way differnet then the rules.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:32 pm #4

..Maybe the $5,200.00 went towards a special new rule making fund and the documents are not yet released?

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:35 pm #5

http://www.ontariolacrosse.com/document ... t_1080.pdf

Go to page 6 and it shows you the break down for 13 teams:

A: 1 4 7 10 13
B: 2 5 8 11
C: 3 6 9 12

Teams in all play RR in own Pool

After the Round Robin 1st and 2nd of Pools B and C will have a playoff game, with crossover.

1st and 2nd of Pool A will advance having played 4 games already

Six games to win championship

So basically you need to finish 1st or 2nd in your pool to advance.

B1 vs C2 and C1 vs B2 in a QF, winners advance to QF.

A1 & A2 advance to semi-finals.
Just a question again....

after semis, is there then a cross over between pools A1 vs Semi B and A2 vs Semi C

also, from previous years....is there overtime during pool play?

Just wondering for clarification.

Thanks

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm #6

I have to ask the question as I wasn't at the seeding meeting.
There are five teams in the 1st pool....including Whitby 1, Brooklin, Brampton, Orangeville, Mimico. Each team plays one another once.
Am I to assume that after all round robin play for all pools that the top six teams combined from all pools will move forward with the best two getting a bye to the semis.? or is it that the top two teams coming out of this first pool will both receive a bye to the semis.?

Would love to know how this is going to work?
Top 2 teams in group A go directly to semis as they play 4 games already.

Top 2 in B & C group play a quarter final with a cross over 1 playing 2 in the other pool.

In the semis highest rank plays the lowest rank etc.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:18 pm #7

If after the quarters, if the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams get to the semis the problem is the 1st and 4th placed teams must play again!
Doesn't make sense.

In reality, the 1st and 2nd ranked teams should be in pool A to start with and that would eliminate this happening.

I know anything can happen...but really that is why we rank teams to begin with.

Let me know your thoughts on this....

****Secondly, is there overtime in pool games for provincials?*****

Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:28 pm #8

I agree... if the top two teams from A pool dont have an elimination game prior to Semis then teams ranked 1 and 2 should've been in pool A...

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:49 pm #9

If after the quarters, if the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams get to the semis the problem is the 1st and 4th placed teams must play again!
Doesn't make sense.

In reality, the 1st and 2nd ranked teams should be in pool A to start with and that would eliminate this happening.

I know anything can happen...but really that is why we rank teams to begin with.

Let me know your thoughts on this....

****Secondly, is there overtime in pool games for provincials?*****
You need to play 4 games to get into the semi-finals...

The winners of pool A automatically get a buy into the semi-finals. B1 plays C2 and C1 plays B2 in the quarterfinals to see who plays A1 & A2.

In the end, it still stacks the deck in favour of 1,2,3 and 4 advancing to the QF's... 1 and 4 are in the more difficult pool but they have the benefit of not facing an elimination game until the Semi's.

If you look at it in terms of strength of schedule and give the #1 seed 13 points and #13 1 point, here is out it worksout (we'll assume the highest ranked teams from each pool advance):

#1 Whitby - Brooklin (10), Brampton (7), Orangeville (4), Mimico (1) - 22
#2 Toronto - London (9), Six Nations (6), Georgian Bay (3), Barrie**(8) - 26
#3 Welland - Barrie (8), Huntsville (5), Aurora (2) - 15, London**(9) - 24
#4 Brooklin - Whitby (13), Brampton (7), Orangeville (4), Mimico (1) - 25

<i></i> = semi-final

So in terms of strength of schedule, they are all pretty close after 4 games... #1 has a clear advantage (as they should), but 2-4 are pretty close, and if you consider that there is a chance that Toronto might not have to face London in a quarter-final match (same with Welland vs Barrie), that could potentially decrease their difficulty down.

I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I don't think it's too out of whack. #2 probably gets punished a bit (it should probably go 2,6,8,12 and 3,5,9,11... both with a difficulty of 25), but it's not too far out of whack.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:09 am #10

After the quarter finals the seedings go back to the original rankings(for the semi match-ups) and it is possible 1vs 4 could happen if both 2 and 3 seeds advance. Because 1 would get the lowest ranked team.the system is not perfect but that is the way the rules are written.......Good luck to all ......