It works for border towns

It works for border towns

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:36 pm #1

My kids are having a lot of fun playing in the US this summer, they do a much better job than the OLA at making groups more competitive if you want any info on minor box/field organizations in Michigan, New York & Ohio post your e-mail and e can set you up with a contact.

The OLA does not care to grow the sport of lacrosse outside the golden horseshoe and if your tired of the long years of losing by 10 goals in Whitby let me know and I will point you in the right direction to have fun and put your child in a position to talk to NCAA coaches from division 1,2 & 3.

You won't regret the move unfortunately our centre will not have enough kids to field teams at some levels next year but hey this is a problem every year and no one at the OLA is interested in fixing it.

I think I could get it right at the levels my kids play at and have contacted the OLA to try and volunteer & help but they never respond probably because I'm not from one of those important centres around Toronto.

This will be my last year driving 3 hours to take a beating by competition that I don't see at any of the invitationals I attend because they wait until provincials to drop down and win that "B" or "C" championship.

Edge lacrosse is expensive too but at least your not governed by the OLA

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 pm #2

She:kon!

Enrol your kids in a local house league instead.  Most of them do the exact same thing with balancing teams, etc., and the season is shorter so the bitterness doesn't last as long.  Plus the competition is about the same.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:42 pm #3

I know the program he is from. Ther eis no local house leagues system for them to play in. you wanna play lacrosse or try it, your on the rep team. Cant make cuts, and barely have enough to field teams.

I can understand his pain.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:03 pm #4

I completely understand the frustrations that everyone has when they get blown out. I grew up in a big city and now live in a small town. The number of players that play lax is so small compared to what I grew up with. Every year we go to provincials and play 3 games only and never have moved on! It is disappointing....to the parents more so than the kids!
What I don't get is all the complaints about the provincials? At best you play 5-6 games.....that is a very small % of games that you play in a season. If youre basing your whole season off of that small amount of games I think youre wrong! I think the goal for every kid playing lax is to have fun and get better! Who cares if you win or lose provincials? The goal is to improve your team and players each year!
Make a difference with your own league and team and stop using the OLA (and their faults....yes they do have many of them) as the reason for a horrible season!

Just my thoughts!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:15 pm #5

Good points. Too much emphasis is being put on provincials, as if the rest of the season doesn't matter. And way too much dumping on the OLA as if it is the root of all evil. Let's lighten up a bit here and enjoy the game for what it is.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 pm #6

I completely understand the frustrations that everyone has when they get blown out. I grew up in a big city and now live in a small town. The number of players that play lax is so small compared to what I grew up with. Every year we go to provincials and play 3 games only and never have moved on! It is disappointing....to the parents more so than the kids!
What I don't get is all the complaints about the provincials? At best you play 5-6 games.....that is a very small % of games that you play in a season. If youre basing your whole season off of that small amount of games I think youre wrong! I think the goal for every kid playing lax is to have fun and get better! Who cares if you win or lose provincials? The goal is to improve your team and players each year!
Make a difference with your own league and team and stop using the OLA (and their faults....yes they do have many of them) as the reason for a horrible season!

Just my thoughts!
I helped the OLA do ratings in Novice for 4 years. I have posted on this site many times to try and explain the process and provide some transparency.Last year the OLA told me to stop posting...not sure why. Anyways having a centralized database and ranking system like mylax is great. It will undoubtedly improve the ratings going forward. I've read the complaints that say the OLA must consider more than just the scores when doing rankings- how realistic is it to expect the ratings committee to look at each games results and consider the qualitative factors ie. players missing etc. There are probably around 350 teams to rate.
I have no idea why they have decided to go with 8 A teams at Tyke and Novice. I tried to get as many A teams as possible in Novice that were competitive. 8 may make for easier scheduling, but it will undoubtedly make the B division less competitive from top to bottom.
It is very difficult to have 16 team divisions that are competitively even from top to bottom. For example there is very little to choose between the 16th ranked team in C and the first ranked team in D. Many of the complaints i hear are based on personal knowledge of teams whcih the ratings committee does not have the luxury of having.
Finally, the best suggestions and most thoughtful discussion of these issues are here on this board.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:53 pm #7

She:kon!

Enrol your kids in a local house league instead.  Most of them do the exact same thing with balancing teams, etc., and the season is shorter so the bitterness doesn't last as long.  Plus the competition is about the same.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...
Thanks for the house league suggestion but that's not an option and yes I am saving money, the US is way cheaper than being on a team from Ontario and we can compete.

Nave set divisions of 16 teams (or any number) per level including "A" at provincials if you only want 5 letters used from the alphabet then make all groups bigger but keep them the same size and your problems will be solved.

I am 100% confident that most of these grouping problems are caused at the "A" level make A,B,C,D,E have the same size groups and this will be so much easier and I challenge the OLA to prove me wrong.

The fallout from the small 8 to 12 team "A" groups causes all the trouble and ensures that there will be blowouts in the big 24 team groups.

Thi

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm #8

I helped the OLA do ratings in Novice for 4 years. I have posted on this site many times to try and explain the process and provide some transparency.Last year the OLA told me to stop posting...not sure why. Anyways having a centralized database and ranking system like mylax is great. It will undoubtedly improve the ratings going forward. I've read the complaints that say the OLA must consider more than just the scores when doing rankings- how realistic is it to expect the ratings committee to look at each games results and consider the qualitative factors ie. players missing etc. There are probably around 350 teams to rate.
I have no idea why they have decided to go with 8 A teams at Tyke and Novice. I tried to get as many A teams as possible in Novice that were competitive. 8 may make for easier scheduling, but it will undoubtedly make the B division less competitive from top to bottom.
It is very difficult to have 16 team divisions that are competitively even from top to bottom. For example there is very little to choose between the 16th ranked team in C and the first ranked team in D. Many of the complaints i hear are based on personal knowledge of teams whcih the ratings committee does not have the luxury of having.
Finally, the best suggestions and most thoughtful discussion of these issues are here on this board.
Thank you for providing some sane perspective!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:37 pm #9

Thanks for the house league suggestion but that's not an option and yes I am saving money, the US is way cheaper than being on a team from Ontario and we can compete.

Nave set divisions of 16 teams (or any number) per level including "A" at provincials if you only want 5 letters used from the alphabet then make all groups bigger but keep them the same size and your problems will be solved.

I am 100% confident that most of these grouping problems are caused at the "A" level make A,B,C,D,E have the same size groups and this will be so much easier and I challenge the OLA to prove me wrong.

The fallout from the small 8 to 12 team "A" groups causes all the trouble and ensures that there will be blowouts in the big 24 team groups.

Thi
Ill begin my saying that personally I have no issues with the ranking system. I grew up playing small town lax. Then played junior in a bigger center and now reside in a medium size 'A' center.

Every year there are going to be teams that should be moved up or moved down . . but that is life. Also, year after year it is the same age divisions. It seems the majority of the whining comes from the Tyke and Novice rankings. You do not hear much about Peewee and up.

Anyways, you last post got me thinking. Consider the following.

You suggest to help the rankings and to avoid blowouts to make each division have an equal number of teams - 16 teams is the number you used.

Lets look at the data from the 1st weekend of 2012 qualifiers. This is great data to use because the standings are accurate and it is an even playing field. ( A teams playing A teams) .

No offense is meant to any of these teams - this is purely an example.

Look at Peewee the bottom 2 teams are:

Brampton 0-4-2 Goals for / Against is minus 14
KW 0-5-1 GF/GA -19

Bantam
Missy 1-6-0 -8
Halton 1-6-0 -37
CW 0-7-0 -26

Midget
Peterborough 1-5-0 -24
Burlington 0-5-1 - 25

My question to you is : are these teams competitive ? (I think they are . . there are so many other factors: injuries, strength of 1st weekend schedule etc) If you want divisions of 16 then we have to add 3 more teams to PW, BAN and MID . . . . won't they be blown out?

Take CW or Halton in Bantam by being at the bottom of A - its reasonable to assume they would be excellent 'B' teams. So to bring up 3 more B teams into A - how do you think they will do?

So your logic is to try and fix blowouts in C and D by creating blowouts in A ?

Face it - one team wins and one team loses. Wins and losses only matter at provincials. You have the entire season to just have fun and play the game. So what if you go 3 and out.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:14 pm #10

Make 10 team groups then, have the "A" division dictate the size of all groups, I don't care if it's 8 team groups, whatever size group you go with in the "A" division have that set up the size of every group at provincials if you want to go with 8 teams then have 8 teams in every group.

Tell me why the "A" division gets a 1 in 8 chance for a championship while the rest of the province gets a 1 in 24 chance.

I'd rather compete for a "L" provincial championship for my $1000 trip to Whitby (2 kids) then go knowing I 'm going to lose 3 games by 10 goals and come home.

I like your response and if there are only 8 "A" teams in Ontario then have 8 "B" teams and 8 "C" teams and 8 "D" teams and 8 "E" teams and use as many letters as necessary.

But what the OLA is saying is that blowouts in the "A" division cannot happen but it is alright at every other level, I can fix all of this in one year guaranteed!!!!!!!!