It's time

It's time

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:13 pm #1

"In 2004, the Canadian Sport Tourism Economic Assessment Model estimated Festival economic impact at $1.8 million, spending that will approach $5.7 million this year".

It's time to spread the wealth around.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:19 pm #2

Sounds like whining, but also really sick of Whitby getting in the pool/division that always gets the bye, (8 hour rest, at home while two other teams have to battle in the heat and then sit around for 4-6 hours. Facilities are second to none though, great job done by all the volunteers!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm #3

The festival has been run extremely well each year and you are right on about the facilities and the volunteers! I'm sure that there are other communities that can offer the same experience. Has anyone considered that maybe Whitby and area families would like to see another part of the province?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 pm #4

All someone/group has to do is put in a proposal.

Until that occurs, and Whitby is willing to do it, there will be no changes.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:20 pm #5

There have been proposals put forward only to be rejected by the OLA.

I believe that we should revert back to the old days of moving it around to different centres...

I for 1 am sick of the traffic that we must fight to get to and from the arenas and also paying $180.00 per night to stay in a hotel that the rest of the year are only charging $139.99/ a night!!

It is high time to change things! Share the wealth with the smaller centers...

You donot have to run all age divisions in 1 Center.

in 2012 try this

Tyke---- Ottawa Gets A to E The Weekend of July 27,28,29,30

Novice--- Sudbury Gets A to E The Weekend of Aug 3,4,5,6

Pee Wee--- Windsor Gets B to E Weekend of July 27,28,29,30

Bantam--- Owen Sound Gets B to E Weekend of Aug 3,4,5,6

Midget--- Kingston Gets B to E Weekend of July 27,28,29,30

Intermediate--- Sault Ste Marie Gets A to E Aug 3,4,5,6

All A Quailifiers & Championship are in St. Catherines

Now this is just a suggestion, and can be Altered but this way eventually all centers would get a piece of the pie and a chance to help them out.
But the only way this will work is if you voice your opinion....

Maybe Lacrosse inside the game could put up a opinion poll on their website and see what people want to do.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm #6

I like it but that puts me and many others in Ottawa and Kingston at the same time with kids playing in different levels. For this reason only I appreciate all provincials in the same spot. I too do not like the traffic, hotel costs etc...

My alterations to your schedule would be to use 2 or 3 centres over 2 or 3 weekends so that it is spread out but all provies are occuring in one location on a given weekend...

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:36 pm #7

Why break it up?

One of the reasons it is a great event
is the numbers of people and players milling about all day. Why not bring it to a center that is local within the Ontario lacrosse communities. Zone 9 - Brampton/Mississauga/Caledon ON. Who has more hotels then us, one or two of them are run by lacrosse parents (I see discounts) who has more resturants, LAX Stores - Sandersons in Orangeville, Box Lacrosse Store in Brampton and a new store on Evans ave in Mimico. Who has more or better arenas than us? Poweraide, Hersey center, Century Gardens, Memorial I could go on all day (Brampton has more arena floor per capita than any where in ON.)we even have the outdoor box avaliable for practices.

Lets discuss distance and traffic. Brampton is central to western cities eastern cities and northern towns. We would reduce the western drives by 1 1/2 hours, where do most people come from (west of the 404) Brampton also has a history of lacrosse going back over 100 years.

Its time people put all the games A to E in Brampton over one week and two weekends I know they are up for it.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 pm #8

I have $100 to wager that Whitby would not have the success it has right now if it had to deal with the same challenges as the rest of us. The Festival or pieces of the Festival should rotate through every zone.

Why do you think the host zone consistently has at least 3 "A" teams at every level. Why not help the rest of us grow the sport throughout Ontario, stop being so selfish at the OLA.

Owen Sound could hold the festival, I love the Brampton idea, if London can handle the World Junior Tournament I'm sure it could host the OLA Provincials.

No one has ever won this application process? Why don't you just award Whitby, Clarington & Peterborough all the "A" championships and the rest of us can compete on an even playing field for the rest.

What would hockey be like if all Playoff games happened in Toronto every year, what other sport operates like this?

OLA please help Ontario grow the sport of Lacrosse and ask for rating volunteers from every zone at every level so you get the feedback you require and move this tournament around and help me compete with soccer in my town.

It's like old school wrestling right now. IN THIS CORNER WE HAVE A ZONE #6 POWERHOUSE and in this corner we have a fat white kid who we already know is going to lose and we don't even want an even playing field!

At least require every zone to provide refs, so they are not all zone #6 alumni

By the way we lost all 3 games at provies but it was a great time, Whitby you do a great job but don't you think someone else deserves a chance!

New to Minor Lacrosse but very passionate about the sport

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 pm #9

I do not disagree with some of your points, as yes it would be nice for many, and a lot less costly if the Festival moved around. However, some of the comments below, while humerous, are a little off base.

"Why do you think the host zone consistently has at least 3 "A" teams at every level. Why not help the rest of us grow the sport throughout Ontario, stop being so selfish at the OLA". I would suggest this is more to do with Coaching and volunteers / development within those organizations than the Festival being here. Agreed the exposure would highlight the game of lacrosse but moset centers you are referring to, or that could do it, are already A centres with pretty solid enrollment.

Owen Sound could hold the festival, I love the Brampton idea, if London can handle the World Junior Tournament I'm sure it could host the OLA Provincials. Agreed. Good possible locations, although Owen Sound would be a drive for many, I love the area though, and great lacrosse tradition.

No one has ever won this application process? Why don't you just award Whitby, Clarington & Peterborough all the "A" championships and the rest of us can compete on an even playing field for the rest. Okay! Seriously, Peterborough, Whitby, and Clarington are not good because they are close to the Festival. Check tournament results all year and see the results when these teams are on the road. They win. I know you are only looking at "A" team results in the Festival to make your claim, but think of this. Those 3 associations you mention had, by my count 34 teams entered (I could be off 1 or 2) from Tyke - Intermediate in various divisions. They won a grand total of 5 Championships. Think about that, Tyke a, b, c, d, e, Novice a, b, c, d, e etc, etc. A total of 29 championships and there was a Whitby Tyke, Whitby Novice, Clarington Intermediate C, Peterborough Girls Bantam, and Whitby Girls Midget champ, that is it.

Does it favour the teams in the area being close to home? Absolutely, as they can go and rest at home where many others cannot. But is it proving to help them win medals? I'd say based on actual results, no.

What would hockey be like if all Playoff games happened in Toronto every year, what other sport operates like this? (NHL?) Bad example, Toronto would still lose, and likely wouldn't make the playoffs to even compete for a Championship. Sorry that was too easy.

OLA please help Ontario grow the sport of Lacrosse and ask for rating volunteers from every zone at every level so you get the feedback you require and move this tournament around and help me compete with soccer in my town. Not sure I get the term "rating volunteers" and what it looks like you are intending so I cannot comment.

It's like old school wrestling right now. IN THIS CORNER WE HAVE A ZONE #6 POWERHOUSE and in this corner we have a fat white kid who we already know is going to lose and we don't even want an even playing field! Just an fyi, there are fat white kids in Whoitby too, and I am one of them . This did make me laugh though. How do you suggest that we even the "perceived" playing field? Move the Fesitval, will that do it? Explain the tournament wins then over the course of the summer as I explain above.

At least require every zone to provide refs, so they are not all zone #6 alumni. A good ref is a good ref, who cares where they are from. Let's give them the decency of our expectation of a fair game being met.

By the way we lost all 3 games at provies but it was a great time, Whitby you do a great job but don't you think someone else deserves a chance! This is not Whitby's decision of where the Festival goes each year, it is the OLA. I for one am very proud, and pleased that it is in Whitby each year as it allows me to catch it all. Do I want to see it leave? No way in he!!. But I have been spoiled as a fan of the event and all of the games, and want to continue to be.

New to Minor Lacrosse but very passionate about the sport. Welcome, and it is great that you are taking the time to make suggestions. I believe if more did what you are doing, more could be accomplished. Many would rather whine, but I really believe, getting to know some of the folks at the OLA, they do listen, they do encourage input, and yes, change does come from many ideas that are given in.

Two points I am going to bring forward that I felt were areas for improvement; the removal of medals or some award for 2nd place finishers (at least up to Peewee), and the uneven number of games on the final day in some Championship cases. I think that in the first case we have to reward smaller kids for their efforts, and in the second, this is an advantage that a team does not deserve. But that is just my opinion.

Gary

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:44 pm #10

...my earlier post about someone applying, I meant for someone to apply to run a festival just like the one that has ran in Whitby.

There are places that have similar facilities (albeit not exactly the same), but it could be done. If there was an application like that, the OLA may have a difficult decision then.

I am not going to get into the discussion/the comments being bandied about Whitby being #1, etc...there are reasons they are who they are and those won't change no matter where Provincials are hosted.

Owen