How long until....

How long until....

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:33 am #1

Oshawa returns to the Junior A ranks? Could the Clarington team "move" to Oshawa and go A and have a new B team put in it's place?

Return of The Oshawa Green Gaels would be amazing!

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 pm #2

and I believe berst suited for a couple of persons / groups:

1) the current Green Gaels staff / Executive, and
2) the OLA.

But the current team will not move to Oshawa. That team is a Whitby affiliated team. They (at least the players) I think would have to return to Whitby first. To play where? I have no idea at this point. Then Clarington could fill the roster with graduates of Clarington's minor program and any affilaite teams they hook up with. Then Oshawa would have to apply for A or B and I would assume fill with Oshawa graduates and / or affilaites teams.

Will it happen? I say yes, it is inevitable, but the quesiton is when?

If I am wrong someone with a better understanding, please correct me.

Gary

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:32 am #3

With all due respect Gary, this needs further clarification. The Green Gaels are Whitby BASED... "Whitby affiliated" implies an affiliation agreement when in fact its an automatic affiliation. There are two questions... "would the Whitby based Green Gaels return to play in Oshawa?" and "would they apply to play A?"

The hurdle for Jr A in Oshawa would be the Warriors and the Jr A Council allowing it... in the hay days of the 70's Whitby and Oshawa had a mutual agreement on player rights. Keeping in mind the Warriors success lately, they likely wouldn't allow it easily. Oshawa also lacks a decent facility for Jr lacrosse. Therefore, you won't likely see a new Jr A team in the area.

The new OMLA will quickly become a minor rep juggernaut due to the people involved, their principles, and the amount of local kids. How this all pans out as far as affiliations and where the Green Gaels play is anyones guess. And again, Oshawa lacks a decent facility for Jr lacrosse. We'll see...

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:40 pm #4

She:kon!

Oshawa <em>lacks </em>a venue for Jr lacrosse??  What is the GM Centre, Campus Centre and Legends #1 all about?  Oshawa has plenty of venues for Jr lacrosse.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm #5

out of those three the only one that is suitable would be the campus centre at UOIT. The rent for anything at the General Motors Centre is way too high, especially for a junior lacrosse team. The #1 surface at legends arena is great for minor lacrosse, but in my opinion has a severe lack of seating which would make it unsuitable for a junior A or B team to play there

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm #6

She:kon!

Oshawa <em>lacks </em>a venue for Jr lacrosse??  What is the GM Centre, Campus Centre and Legends #1 all about?  Oshawa has plenty of venues for Jr lacrosse.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...
Campus is the best of the options with some up construction grades... the benches are across the floor from the dressing rooms which doesn't work well from a team logistics point of view, the penalty box is between the benches which besides being dagerous goes against the spirit of the game, and the netting would have to be removed. From a game operations point of view the arena layout is fantastic! The location will be great when the 407 comes thru.

The GM Center is too big and not viable due to the Citys facility managment agreement. Legends is too small, has a low roof, and again the penalty box is between the benches. Legends would be the easiest and most cost effective reconstruction by adding some seats on the north side and moving the penalty box, but your still stuck with a low roof and not a great arena layout from an operations point of view.

Hopefully the City will put some money back into one of the facilities when they see the success of the OMLA and arena income in the summer due to lacrosse being back in Oshawa.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 pm #7

With all due respect Gary, this needs further clarification. The Green Gaels are Whitby BASED... "Whitby affiliated" implies an affiliation agreement when in fact its an automatic affiliation. There are two questions... "would the Whitby based Green Gaels return to play in Oshawa?" and "would they apply to play A?"

The hurdle for Jr A in Oshawa would be the Warriors and the Jr A Council allowing it... in the hay days of the 70's Whitby and Oshawa had a mutual agreement on player rights. Keeping in mind the Warriors success lately, they likely wouldn't allow it easily. Oshawa also lacks a decent facility for Jr lacrosse. Therefore, you won't likely see a new Jr A team in the area.

The new OMLA will quickly become a minor rep juggernaut due to the people involved, their principles, and the amount of local kids. How this all pans out as far as affiliations and where the Green Gaels play is anyones guess. And again, Oshawa lacks a decent facility for Jr lacrosse. We'll see...
I knew I would need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to try to understand it......back to Pictionary for me.

Gary