Homer Bridge

Homer Bridge

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:02 pm #1

A comment by Coach Mike Lines in yesterday's Athletics' game recap in the Standard was enlightening to myself. I somewhat assumed that St. Catharines is as it was, a lacrosse "hotbed".

"The frustrating part is that you are trying to build through local young players but we're a junior A team drawing from a C centre," he said. "St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara-on-the-Lake all have C teams. We don't have any A-type players were drawing from. We're trying to teach kids who have never been taught before. That's the frustrating part and I'm sure it's frustrating for them, too."

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:03 pm #2

title and author should be reversed in above

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:30 pm #3

A comment by Coach Mike Lines in yesterday's Athletics' game recap in the Standard was enlightening to myself. I somewhat assumed that St. Catharines is as it was, a lacrosse "hotbed".

"The frustrating part is that you are trying to build through local young players but we're a junior A team drawing from a C centre," he said. "St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara-on-the-Lake all have C teams. We don't have any A-type players were drawing from. We're trying to teach kids who have never been taught before. That's the frustrating part and I'm sure it's frustrating for them, too."
It is amazing how quickly perceptions change. I know Bob Luey didn't build St.Catharines last championship teams by trading players for draft picks.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm #4

According to the latest ratings, things should get better for the A's

St. Catharines. Int - A, Midget - B, Bantam - A, Peewee - A
NOTL Int - B, Midget - B, Bantam - B, Peewee - C
Welland Midget - C, Bantam - B, Peewee - C

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:27 pm #5

Hard for me to accept the once proclaimed "Home of Lacrosse" as on the road to complete lacrosse oblivion. Maybe some more McMahons, McCreadys, McNultys or Howes are out there somewhere.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 pm #6

It doesn't add up - and it sounds bad.

Starting this season, the majority (if not all) players had played midget A (St. Catharines or Welland when they were A), on very strong teams. Also, those midgets graduated and all had success playing Jr.B in those same centres. There were league awards, and playoff success - including a founders up - that belonged to some of those kids. The A's coaching staff had these players all year, and they got nowhere.

Since the start of the season, all of these players can be found on various Minto Cup contenders. How can 5+ players be needed on minto cup contenders - yet the A's complain about where they draw from? It sounds like selling out on the kids not too long after selling out on the season.

Call it like it is:
Players Traded this season from A's: Danko (G), Houtby (D), Pychel (D), Attwood (F), Daradick (F), Matthews (F), Adams (F).
Players on minto cup contenders: all of the above.

I would venture a guess that any 8th place team... with the addition of the above players... would be thinking upset in the first round rather than rag on the lack of 'talent' or 'coaching' that they have to deal with.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:43 am #7

where did daradick get traded to?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:08 am #8

n/m

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:22 am #9

It is amazing how quickly perceptions change. I know Bob Luey didn't build St.Catharines last championship teams by trading players for draft picks.
Mr Thislesforever if you can't see that moving the players they did was for the good of the team and the players then you don't no lacrosse...With those same five players they were on a 9 game winless streak.......believe me this team for whatever reason was going no were PERIOD...Getting cash and picks will help in the future to run the club and bring in a player or 2 with the picks.....lf you stick your head in the ground and do nothing you end up doing nothing for next years team. This team was going out in 3 games to whoever finishes first with or without them....period....The A's will regroup next year l am sure....

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:23 am #10

Mr Thislesforever if you can't see that moving the players they did was for the good of the team and the players then you don't no lacrosse...With those same five players they were on a 9 game winless streak.......believe me this team for whatever reason was going no were PERIOD...Getting cash and picks will help in the future to run the club and bring in a player or 2 with the picks.....lf you stick your head in the ground and do nothing you end up doing nothing for next years team. This team was going out in 3 games to whoever finishes first with or without them....period....The A's will regroup next year l am sure....