Hey Ref

Hey Ref

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:27 pm #1

An article on taking it easy on the stripes.....

http://lacrosseinsidethegame.com/2011/0 ... -your-job/

Gary

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:55 am #2

"Keep an open mind, work with your partner and superiors, and most importantly, communicate with the players and Coaches. By no means do you need to take abuse, but when you can effectively communicate with the teams on the floor, it really does go a long way to making your job a little less stressful and dare I say it; enjoyable."

Well said Gary! I think some of these young officials are misguided as to what constitutes abuse. I've never berated or abused a young ref, but it is frustrating for a coach when the young officials mistaken 'questioning a call' for 'abuse'.

Last year, I had the pleasure of having the best young referee I've ever seen. It was at the Beaches, first box game of the season... he made a call that I questioned him on, and he was more than willing to come over to the bench and give me his explaination. He was clearly wrong, but I affirmed his ruling and requested that he look it up when he got home after the game. I think he was shocked because I didn't argue it further... I didn't want the call reversed, but I did want to make him a better referee.

On the other side of the coin, I've had young referees refuse to explain their call and point to the crest on their shirt and say "This is the reason I don't have to talk to you".

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm #3

and I have actually used it myself while reffing Masters lacrosse (a ladies game).

I made the call and by the time I made it over to the Coach, I realized I was wrong. He stated that it was the wrong call, I looked him straight in the eye and said "you are right, I made a mistake".

The conversation was over. I have had a ref say that to me too, and I was dumbfounded.....how / what could I argue next?

Gary

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm #4

From another sport, but still shows a good example. I was playing in a high school basketball tournament and, as a player went up to shoot, I put my hand in his face, just like I'd been taught. I was aghast to be whistled for a foul. I went over to the ref and asked him why I got a foul and he said "You can't touch him." I replied, "I didn't", to which the ref said, "Oh, then I made a mistake."
It really does take the wind out of your sails in terms of arguing. I just said okay and went to take my spot in the lane for the free throws. Obviously it stuck with me, as it's been a while since I was in high school.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 pm #5

As a Ref when questioned on a call by a spectator simply say "According to Rule 109, Subsection 3, Clause 23, Part 17 (d) ... I can't make the call you want me to". By the time they figure out there is no such thing you've restarted the game. In fact they usually don't figure it out until they've asked 7 of their closest friends and received 11 different answers.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:52 pm #6

Then you become disrespected for being a liar. It's better to simply be honest.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:56 pm #7

I've wasted way too much time over the years explaining the rules to people, especially the ones who still want interpret them their own way. As a Ref and Coach, I'm happy to discuss the rules with the players any day. In fact, as a Coach that's part of the job. As for the spectators, some yes, but others ... sorry. If you want to bark at Refs, or anybody, you better invest a little of your time in reading the Rule Book and not sound off based on what you have seen or worse "think" you have seen. Even if the CLA made the Rule Book available on line most wouldn't read it. Ask any of your non Ref friends and aquaintances if they have a Rule Book, have ever read one or even know where to get one. Ask them if they even know what one looks like. I'm afraid the number will be low ... and I'm sorry to say but I include Coaches in that number.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm #8

I'm very sorry, I missed the "spectator" part of your post, making mine completely irrelevant. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was referring to coaches and players.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:28 pm #9

As a Coach I have all the time in the world to help players learn the rules. As a Ref, same thing ... well for "most" of them. Even the parents & spectators - it's everybody's job to help teach the game but when some of them decide (not having read the rules) to yap at you and tell you are wrong ... well that's when I walk away.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:09 am #10

How many times have you heard this one from a Coach on the bench:

"hey, I'm a ref too, blah, blah, blah, and you are wrong!" From what I've heard, this is one of the worst for a ref to hear......

Any of you stripes confirm or deny?

Gary