Golden Masters

This forum is now archived. Please post OLA Masters info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

Golden Masters

Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:58 pm #1

I was wondering if there is any real Interest out there in Introducing a Golden masters division to any tournaments for 2010.?..I would like to see this group fall into an age category of 45 and over and to see if we could floor maybe 4 teams for exhibition or tournament play.So to all the associations that are running masters leagues please try and Gauge the interest if any and lets move forward..Thanks

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:42 am #2

I think for the most part we are already there , when i think about some of the teams in the senior loop , Toronto , Brampton, Halton , Whitby, Oakville, Huntsville and Owen Sound I would wager that 50-60% of these rosters are in this age range already.

Each year we see smaller rosters as teams travel to tournaments (many weekends last summer teams played with 7-10 runners) I don't think that limiting the age availability is the answer, how many of the teams above could field a squad each tournament where everyone on the floor is over 45 ?

Maybe there are a host of 45 and older players out there who are currently not playing because they don't want to play with or against those in the 35-44 age bracket, who knows? As far as I can tell the guys that want to play are playing already.

I don't think there has been a large addition of new players for senior masters in the 35-44 year old age group( looking at the last 3-4 years).My point being I don't think there are enough bodies the fill two age categories 35-45 and 45+.

One more point I believe that Toronto won outright last year with a roster that had 5 players at least 50 years old , and no more than two under 40. Perhaps age isn't the determining factor for success.