Field Lacrosse

Field Lacrosse

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:25 pm #1

I think it is really time we push for mid to late August field lacrosse. There are teams with no access to fields. Late scheduling due to we don't know where we are playing. If we want field lacrosse to grow properely we need to really look at the whole picture. I'm not by any means being negative here the kids enjoy it and that is all that matters. we just need to give them the proper tools to make it grow. For example proper Fields to practice on!!!!!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:36 am #2

August won't work because of box lacrosse provincials and the resources associated with it (ref's, volunteers, coaches, etc.).

The one option I have come up with is to run a 5-week program after labour day. First four weeks are regular season, 2 games per day followed by Provincials (Top 2 teams from each age group & division). No Qualifiers, thus making the regular season games actually mean something. Provincials are held over 2-days on Thanksgiving weekend (tough weekend, but well it's a starting point). To make things run better, all three Fall Leagues should work together to consolidate hosting, shared resources, minimize travel, etc. Also, this timeline would make it possible to actually have field practices & prep time between box & field.

Also, the age groups would change slightly...we would go U16 (Minor Midget & Major Bantam), U14 (Minor Bantam & Major Peewee), U12 (Minor Peewee & Major Novice), & U10 (Minor Novice & Major Tyke). Field would no longer we a "warm-up" for box, so there is no reason to keep the box age groups together. By splitting them this way, you actually put together the kids that will play box together the following year. And it accomplishes another goal, which is that the winner of U16 would go to the Alumni Cup the following year representing the Midget age group because they would all be Midget age (15/16).

Keep in mind, Fall consists of hockey which will have a dramatic impact on the # of teams across Ontario, which makes this format more sensible. Also, with Junior & Senior Men's Field going on at the same time, you have resource issues again.

I am doing some work on this and hope to come up with a working proposal to present....but it's just my thoughts & opinions on what I believe would work....I'd love to hear some more thoughts & opinions on the subject. The more discussion the better proposal I can put forth and maybe we can get a working Fall League for Minor.

Owen Missen

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 am #3

Would it be to far out of the question to start box earlier. Say the third week of April. That way bump everything up to leave the last two weeks in July and three weeks in August for field.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:44 am #4

First...try and get box to do anything for field.

Second, a lot of centres don't have access to arenas until that point, so that would create an issue.

The only way would be for box to shorten their season and have Provincials ending at the long weekend in August in stead of starting...then you might be able to do August.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:52 pm #5

August won't work because of box lacrosse provincials and the resources associated with it (ref's, volunteers, coaches, etc.).

The one option I have come up with is to run a 5-week program after labour day. First four weeks are regular season, 2 games per day followed by Provincials (Top 2 teams from each age group & division). No Qualifiers, thus making the regular season games actually mean something. Provincials are held over 2-days on Thanksgiving weekend (tough weekend, but well it's a starting point). To make things run better, all three Fall Leagues should work together to consolidate hosting, shared resources, minimize travel, etc. Also, this timeline would make it possible to actually have field practices & prep time between box & field.

Also, the age groups would change slightly...we would go U16 (Minor Midget & Major Bantam), U14 (Minor Bantam & Major Peewee), U12 (Minor Peewee & Major Novice), & U10 (Minor Novice & Major Tyke). Field would no longer we a "warm-up" for box, so there is no reason to keep the box age groups together. By splitting them this way, you actually put together the kids that will play box together the following year. And it accomplishes another goal, which is that the winner of U16 would go to the Alumni Cup the following year representing the Midget age group because they would all be Midget age (15/16).

Keep in mind, Fall consists of hockey which will have a dramatic impact on the # of teams across Ontario, which makes this format more sensible. Also, with Junior & Senior Men's Field going on at the same time, you have resource issues again.

I am doing some work on this and hope to come up with a working proposal to present....but it's just my thoughts & opinions on what I believe would work....I'd love to hear some more thoughts & opinions on the subject. The more discussion the better proposal I can put forth and maybe we can get a working Fall League for Minor.

Owen Missen
It will work. Look no further than the success of the change of season of the U16 "trial league".( It runs Labour Day to Thanksgiving. Maybe I will ask Mr. Pallister in the next day or so to put up the full proposal and all the rational that was sent to the OLA Board for approval. It most definetly is a great place to start. I knew with 100% this is where we would be in 2007 if we did not do some serious brainstorning and searching. The field committee that was put in place for the change of season, should have been "allowed" the latitude to really bring forward their proposals and ideas. I could go on but it really dissapoints me to see what has occurred with fields (which we already knew would happen), because of the unwillingness of a few people to allow the direction of field lacrosse to go where it must in Ontario in terms of timing. I also printed off the last OHL drafts for the last 7 years and there are a handful of lax players that got drafted for the other game.(not that it should matter). I also spoke to a highly respected hockey man of 40 plus years in our community, and he also advised that the U16 playing time frame will not be affected by hockey per say. This year may see a few go to hockey because of the great talent depth,but our job is to look after lacrosse. I believe we have a great field product (and getting better all the time), and our box game is simply the best world wide. We should not forsake one for the other, but with a little foresight we can work them both in at the time frames that our climate and our field operators will work with us to grow field in Ontario. The Minor field program is the genesis and the base of all field in this province therefore it should be #1 priority for building not 4th. Without Minor field there is no U19, No mens, No University, etc etc.

I am going to request that the field committee convenes again knowing that spring as is played now IS NO LONGER A VIABLE OPTION (period) and move from there.

Respectfully to all Field enthusiasts