Don't waste your money

Don't waste your money

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:18 am #1

This Minto webcast is terrible. One camera looking in from one corner and looking through mesh.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:44 am #2

In the Whitby Coquitlam game?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:02 am #3

This from twitter....14-8 Coquitlam with 1 min left in 3rd

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 am #4

I hear you on the netting. In person or on TV, I'd just rather not watch than get the headaches I get from trying to focus through that stuff. It's a shame something as prestigious as the Minto Cup ended up in an arena with 360 netting.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:58 am #5

Before I make any comments about the stage for the prestigious Minto Cup , would someone please describe the Arena to me . Seating capacity? , can you tell from outside that a national Championship is taking place? ( advertising) has there been any attempt to "Dress" the arena to indicate to fans that they are at a very special sporting event? ie : gamenight production music , announcer , no dead air? . Fans have become used to , and demand to be entertained these days ,that is the way sporting events have become. I worked at a MSL game this summer where unfortunatley the team wasnt able to have any music . First of all I thought "this is great old time lacrosse with no crummy music and barking announcer" and that is coming from someone that has had to make working at games a job. What I witnessed was a whole bunch of Fans that didnt know what to do ! it was wierd, it was so quiet . My point is if you are going to stage a national Final go that wee extra mile if you can ,and make it a memorable night for your fans from the moment they make thier donation at the door in the form the admission price, till they have exhausted their lungs and nerves .Good luck to the organisers I hope I am wrong .

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 pm #6

Talked to a colleague in Calgary yesterday. He is a sports fan but not yet a lacrosse fan.

He told me the Calgary Herald had a huge write-up with profiles of all the Okotoks players. He said they were making a pretty big deal out of it.

Don't think we would ever say the same if it were held in the GTA. Might see a write-up in the Sun but the other dailies don't know the sport exists.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm #7

Before I make any comments about the stage for the prestigious Minto Cup , would someone please describe the Arena to me . Seating capacity? , can you tell from outside that a national Championship is taking place? ( advertising) has there been any attempt to "Dress" the arena to indicate to fans that they are at a very special sporting event? ie : gamenight production music , announcer , no dead air? . Fans have become used to , and demand to be entertained these days ,that is the way sporting events have become. I worked at a MSL game this summer where unfortunatley the team wasnt able to have any music . First of all I thought "this is great old time lacrosse with no crummy music and barking announcer" and that is coming from someone that has had to make working at games a job. What I witnessed was a whole bunch of Fans that didnt know what to do ! it was wierd, it was so quiet . My point is if you are going to stage a national Final go that wee extra mile if you can ,and make it a memorable night for your fans from the moment they make thier donation at the door in the form the admission price, till they have exhausted their lungs and nerves .Good luck to the organisers I hope I am wrong .
There is an announcer. There is music (but not during the game). There are draws, raffles, booths, beer gardens, etc. There are outside activities (more booths, field nets set up for kids to shoot at).

Lots of media coverage in the Herald, Sun, radio, and TV. Here are today's links:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Ada ... story.html
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Ecl ... story.html
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/08/21/mi ... nd-bear-it

Mike Board - the new Roughnecks GM is a former Sports reporter with the Herald (still involved with Flames TV), so he has helped in that regard.

I questioned whether the tournament should have been played in Okotoks, as opposed to Calgary, but so far the fans having been coming out. However, it can be argued that attendance would have been higher if at had been in Calgary. Okotoks is a 20 minute drive from the south end of Calgary, but well over an hour from the north. We will see during the mid-week games.

But to your question, yes there is an appropriate atmosphere for a Minto.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:18 pm #8

I hear you on the netting. In person or on TV, I'd just rather not watch than get the headaches I get from trying to focus through that stuff. It's a shame something as prestigious as the Minto Cup ended up in an arena with 360 netting.
I watched the Whitby vs Coquitlem game online and was not pleased with the coverage at all!!! Viewing from one end through the mesh with no zoom in!! This is the bloody Minto Cup for crying out loud!!! Its bad enough that Alberta can only beat Alberta and do not deserve a spot at jr A supremacy in my opinoin.And as Far as growing the game maybe Alberta should try to string together a couple of Founders cup worthy Teams!!!Give me a seven game series East Vs west!!!

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:15 pm #9

There is an announcer. There is music (but not during the game). There are draws, raffles, booths, beer gardens, etc. There are outside activities (more booths, field nets set up for kids to shoot at).

Lots of media coverage in the Herald, Sun, radio, and TV. Here are today's links:

Mike Board - the new Roughnecks GM is a former Sports reporter with the Herald (still involved with Flames TV), so he has helped in that regard.

I questioned whether the tournament should have been played in Okotoks, as opposed to Calgary, but so far the fans having been coming out. However, it can be argued that attendance would have been higher if at had been in Calgary. Okotoks is a 20 minute drive from the south end of Calgary, but well over an hour from the north. We will see during the mid-week games.

The Sun and the Herald do a much better job than GTA papers of things like junior hockey, CIS sports, etc., and I'm glad they're covering this in a fitting manner as well.

Okotoks has a good sports tradition. The local baseball team, largely made up of college players, draws about 2,500 a game in a very nice ballpark. By comparison, nobody else in the league draws 1,000. It's not unlike a lot of small US cities where people come out in droves for the local high school teams. The location, I think it's a good thing in some ways, as it doesn't get lost in the shuffle but is still close enough to Calgary to draw from there. My only issue is, I really find it a shame to have the 360 nets at a national championship. To be honest, as big of a lacrosse fan as I am, that alone would keep me away.

As far as music, I'd never go to a game for music. But I don't go to NLL games because I can not focus on the game that's going on in the background when there's music playing through the play. even at whistles, if it's too loud or clubbish, I avoid those arenas.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:12 am #10

Great stuff knock em dead .