Do we have to reinvent the Wheel ????????

This forum is now archived. Please post OLA Masters info in the Unofficial OLA Fan Forum.

Do we have to reinvent the Wheel ????????

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:56 pm #1

Along about this time every year just before the first Semi Annual meeting guys start to post their ideas on making the game better, which is good for our game but it always seems to me that people think improving our game means adding rules to the already existing ones we have. This is in my opinion does nothing more than slow the game down, more for the referees to watch for and more for our guys to think about what they can and cant do while they play.

I have a novel concept why dont we abolish one rule that is currently on the books, which is to scrap the passing of two guys rule and just make it a straight five second posession rule. This in my opinion will open the game up really wide offensively, especially in fast break and transition situations. Thusly as we move along the concept of collapsing on defence and playing a zone becomes a thing of the past because if you can pass by three guys to shoot a tight zone now becomes a hinderance to playing defence. Then you wont have to worry about calling a zone defence because no one will be utilizing it.

Lets now move onto the refs, lets face it those guys have it tough they have to watch so much in a game that what happens is they start to miss things because they have to watch out for so much. If we abolish this rule then all they have to watch for is three things basically, penalties , outside shots, and the five second rule. Im sure if we took a little bit off the plates of the referess it will make it a more enjoyable game for them to ref. Because zone defence and did he or did he not pass two guys are the most hotly contested issues besides contact in our game.

This one litte tweak in my opinion would make the game better to watch more fun to play and easier to ref,Im sure this will spark a huge amount of controvery but if you think about it im sure you will see the sense it makes

Ray Mcwhirter

Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 pm #2

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:59 pm #3

Along about this time every year just before the first Semi Annual meeting guys start to post their ideas on making the game better, which is good for our game but it always seems to me that people think improving our game means adding rules to the already existing ones we have. This is in my opinion does nothing more than slow the game down, more for the referees to watch for and more for our guys to think about what they can and cant do while they play.

I have a novel concept why dont we abolish one rule that is currently on the books, which is to scrap the passing of two guys rule and just make it a straight five second posession rule. This in my opinion will open the game up really wide offensively, especially in fast break and transition situations. Thusly as we move along the concept of collapsing on defence and playing a zone becomes a thing of the past because if you can pass by three guys to shoot a tight zone now becomes a hinderance to playing defence. Then you wont have to worry about calling a zone defence because no one will be utilizing it.

Lets now move onto the refs, lets face it those guys have it tough they have to watch so much in a game that what happens is they start to miss things because they have to watch out for so much. If we abolish this rule then all they have to watch for is three things basically, penalties , outside shots, and the five second rule. Im sure if we took a little bit off the plates of the referess it will make it a more enjoyable game for them to ref. Because zone defence and did he or did he not pass two guys are the most hotly contested issues besides contact in our game.

This one litte tweak in my opinion would make the game better to watch more fun to play and easier to ref,Im sure this will spark a huge amount of controvery but if you think about it im sure you will see the sense it makes

Ray Mcwhirter
Great Idea!!

Also to add to that Ray how about we don't start counting 5 second possesion until you hit the center line. We have found in tournaments in the US this forces defenders to start forechecking right away and spreads the rest of the team out opening up the floor.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:54 pm #4

Ray Mcwhirter
Nice suggestion. I hear what you are saying about keeping it simple. But I recall that last year when there was discussion about adding/changing rules, we were assured that the referrees would just enforce the existing ones better and that would likely help things. As you know, this didn't happen ( ie. stick chequing remains a mystery to me and is called differently from ref to ref, outside shot with clear shooting lane remains very inconsistent at best, and zone defence stillleaves me scratching my head as to when its called vs a warning etc) So while I totally hear you about keeping it simple, I think we need to make some changes. Just an opinion.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:38 pm #5

Great Idea!!

Also to add to that Ray how about we don't start counting 5 second possesion until you hit the center line. We have found in tournaments in the US this forces defenders to start forechecking right away and spreads the rest of the team out opening up the floor.
Sounds like a good plan when up by one late.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:25 pm #6

not if you could check his stick

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:09 pm #7

Nice suggestion. I hear what you are saying about keeping it simple. But I recall that last year when there was discussion about adding/changing rules, we were assured that the referrees would just enforce the existing ones better and that would likely help things. As you know, this didn't happen ( ie. stick chequing remains a mystery to me and is called differently from ref to ref, outside shot with clear shooting lane remains very inconsistent at best, and zone defence stillleaves me scratching my head as to when its called vs a warning etc) So while I totally hear you about keeping it simple, I think we need to make some changes. Just an opinion.
I recently played in a stick checking tournament in the states.
you get 5 secs with the ball. as long as you want to get it over half before your 5 starts.... you could play zone or man on man you could shoot from outside the dotted line if you had a clear lane... you will be amazed at the few penalties in the games..

I think that every one should take in a stick checking ( stick on stick ) game with these native rules.. There is way more respect for the guys on the floor and also the refs.

The Rez Dogs are trying to put on a senior masters tournament with stick checking in Feb.

Please contact me if you are interested in signing up your team.
It will be minimal price to play we just want to only cover the floor costs. and it will be played at the Iroquios Lacrosse Arena in Six Nations

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:30 pm #8

not if you could check his stick
If you can't be cross checked and can't be slashed anywhere but your stick (I'm assuming an accidental whack on the arm is not allowed), I can't see it being all that difficult to protect your stick, even with 2 or 3 guys coming after you.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 pm #9

I recently played in a stick checking tournament in the states.
you get 5 secs with the ball. as long as you want to get it over half before your 5 starts.... you could play zone or man on man you could shoot from outside the dotted line if you had a clear lane... you will be amazed at the few penalties in the games..

I think that every one should take in a stick checking ( stick on stick ) game with these native rules.. There is way more respect for the guys on the floor and also the refs.

The Rez Dogs are trying to put on a senior masters tournament with stick checking in Feb.

Please contact me if you are interested in signing up your team.
It will be minimal price to play we just want to only cover the floor costs. and it will be played at the Iroquios Lacrosse Arena in Six Nations
Would you mind supplying a date if possible and an email address my brother and I would like to enter a team in February if we are able

Ray Mcwhirter

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:40 pm #10

If you can't be cross checked and can't be slashed anywhere but your stick (I'm assuming an accidental whack on the arm is not allowed), I can't see it being all that difficult to protect your stick, even with 2 or 3 guys coming after you.
Well if you think that it is not that difficult..
come on down to the Iroquois Lacrosse arena on Friday night at 8 pm
we will be playing a game of pick up. Come and try out your skills. then let me know what you think.