cuts

cuts

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:17 pm #1

If my son signs Jr.A or Jr.B "for the experience while others are still in school," can he play Jr.C in his home town when they release him in May?

Someone said that he can't be "reclassified" down to Jr.C, and would have to play Intermediate.

This can't possibly be true, can it??????

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 pm #2

She:kon!

The OLA has this really cool thing called 'The OLA Constitution" which contains all the rules and regulations you need to know about.  Sometimes - not always - but sometimes, it helps to check the Constitution when someone says something that doesn't sound quite right.  I have provided the link above.

Generally speaking, the OLA Constitution trumps information gained from "someone said."  I'll give you an example:
</b><p align="left">R6.14(d)
<p align="left"><font face="verdana,geneva,arial,sans-serif">Junior players who are going to be reclassified to a lower category Junior team, must be released by that Junior team holding the players playing rights, and reclassified prior to June 15th of the current playing season. </font>
<b>
<p align="left">NOTE:
Players being released after this date will be ineligible to move to the lower Junior team in that season.<b></b><p align="left">NOTE:
The higher level team retains the players rights for their category, (at no cost, if the player returns).
So I would say, by way of a quick search on the OLA Constituion for the word "reclassified", that your son is eleigible to be reclassified from Jr A or B to Jr C.  And I am betting that Jr C team would love to have him back too.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 pm #3

If my son signs Jr.A or Jr.B "for the experience while others are still in school," can he play Jr.C in his home town when they release him in May?

Someone said that he can't be "reclassified" down to Jr.C, and would have to play Intermediate.

This can't possibly be true, can it??????
Players cannot be reclassified to C after 7 days (maybe 10) from season opener. Not a direct quote but the rule is there.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:29 pm #4

Since the Jr. C league expanded to 3 thousands teams for this season, shouldn't the Jr. C Policy Paper change to the OLA By-Laws?
At what point do we stop pretending Jr. C is "in the trial stages" and thus set up with it's own rules seperate from the other Junior leagues?

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:45 pm #5

Is updating to OLA constitution to make sure that when we are talking about Junior ball we are not just speaking to A and B. There are several sections that refer to Junior lacrosse as only being A and B and this forces or allows the C league to create their own rule set.

Having said that it is a fact that all leagues have their "own" rules that often contradict or are not found in the Constitution. What needs to happen is we either enforce the consitution as it is written OR each league runs itself as a seperate entity which then must enter into agreements with the other leagues for things like player movement up and down.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:48 pm #6

But one of the sections - the one I quoted - does <strong><em>not</em></strong> specifically refer to Jr A or B and simply says "Junior" which, in my mind, <em>includes</em> Jr. C.  But Jr. C - for some inexplicable reason - has a different set of "policies" that override the articles of the primary governing document for the association - is that what you are saying?  It's not like the league or OLA had all winter to figure it out.  Again.

In other words, it is not like the Jr C league had to "create their own rule set" in this particular case since the player movement rule is very clear, easy to understand and just as easy to apply.

So are the Jr. C "policies" publicly available so players, parents and supporters and such can actually make an informed decision as to what they want or should do or are they a state secret?

Plus, it would be kind of neat to see what other OLA by-laws are trumped by Jr. C policy.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 pm #7

From years of dealing with issues where Policy contradicts the constitution...the constitution always is the ace in the hole.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:35 am #8

...maybe the times they are a-changing?  Expect the Federal Government to develop policies that forbid freedom of conscience, freedom of the press and freedom peaceful assembly and association.

Once they discover that a mere constitution needs only a few policy tweaks here and there... :S

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 pm #9

Since the Jr. C league expanded to 3 thousands teams for this season, shouldn't the Jr. C Policy Paper change to the OLA By-Laws?
At what point do we stop pretending Jr. C is "in the trial stages" and thus set up with it's own rules seperate from the other Junior leagues?
This was put in place in year one in our policy paper to prevent teams from loading up with players at the deadline unbalancing the league. ie Jr "B" teams out of the playoffs or not going to do well start trying to unload players to teams still going. In the Jr "C" loop everyone makes the playoffs so the door is open to those players to do that. We want to commit to our players and in turn they commit to us knowing that they are not going to get bumped out at the deadline. Our players pay a registration fee hence the comittment deal. All OLA leagues have objectives in their policy papers this is one that is supported by it member clubs of the Jr "C" league.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:02 am #10

If it works, great.  But is the "policy paper" available publicly so players, parents and whomever else can make in informed decision regarding player movement?

If it is a matter of server space, I can host it here on the OLA Fan Forums if you like.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...