CLax vs Jr.A- A battle is brewing?

CLax vs Jr.A- A battle is brewing?

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:42 pm #1

Based on some inside sources, there is some serious concern about the potential negative impact that the new CLax league will have on Junior A Lacrosse in Ontario. A story we'll continue to research but here is our commentary.

http://bit.ly/rwvVMy

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:05 am #2

I will consult my contacts south of the border and see if they know anything.
This could be a huge development if upheld.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:06 am #3

Based on some inside sources, there is some serious concern about the potential negative impact that the new CLax league will have on Junior A Lacrosse in Ontario. A story we'll continue to research but here is our commentary.

just sayin'. Watch out any kids who may want to keep their eligibility.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:48 am #4

Tenacious,

I did read your comments from mid-september about junior aged players joining CLax and felt it was a well reasoned argument. The issue discussed in the editorial comment is intended to relate more to kids who played CLax and NCAA during the fall/spring now playing together in the summer Jr. A League.

The NCAA instituted a rule for hockey in 2010 that players of NCAA teams who play in organized hockey league that includes known professionals (is. they play summer hockey in a league with NHL or CHL Players) void their eligibility. I felt this situation was different enough from your previous comment and also not addressed that it deserved to be raised.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 am #5

She:kon!

Exactly how would losing a few quality players be a "catastrophe" for Jr. A lacrosse?

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:41 pm #6

There are a number of NCAA players playing Summer lacrosse in the Major Series, why has'nt it affected them?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm #7

Bailey Quarters is on the mark...the NCAA is more concerned with the MSL where the top teams have 10 - 20 players that are professionals (NLL) mixed in with players who are still playing NCAA lacrosse. I would not get too caught up in this because the NCAA will do what it feels is consistent across all the sports they govern. Some NCAA coaches are very knowledgeable about Canadian box lacrosse and will hopefully make their administrators and compliance team aware of the Canadian box lacrosse situation. The majority have no knowledge, little interest in recruiting Canadians and therefore no vested interest in not seeing players who "mix with professionals" deemed to be ineligible for NCAA competition.
At this stage Canadian NCAA athletes should make sure they sign the NCAA document they all receive at the start of each year stating they have NOT been paid to play, and if they are fortunate enough to make it to a Mann or Minto Cup and any games overlap with the start of their school year they need to speak to their NCAA coach about a waiver...I assume it is still the same, but you can't participate with an "outside team" in your NCAA sport once school is officially in secession.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm #8

I will consult my contacts south of the border and see if they know anything.
This could be a huge development if upheld.
It's speculation by a wannabe "journalist". He needs to explain haw this would in any way be different than the dozens of NCAA players who annually play MSL/WLA alongside teams chock full of NLL pros (and who are actually geting paid to play in the MSL/WLA). This stuff is so far off the NCAA's radar, it might as well be happening in Timbuktu!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:21 pm #9

JrA should not allow NLL-CLAX signed pro players to play JrA !
This will protect all NCAA players.
Give an exemption to any JrA aged player that has signed a pro contract (Lafontaine,Kedoh-Hill,Hellyer...) to play Major(MSL).
This will seperate the pro's from amatuers in JrA.
It is just a matter of time before some poor kid loses his scholarship due to NCAA rules.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 am #10

It's speculation by a wannabe "journalist". He needs to explain haw this would in any way be different than the dozens of NCAA players who annually play MSL/WLA alongside teams chock full of NLL pros (and who are actually geting paid to play in the MSL/WLA). This stuff is so far off the NCAA's radar, it might as well be happening in Timbuktu!
CLAX is a declared professional league. MSL isn't. There's a gray area on MSL. There's none on CLAX.