Clax Recap

Clax Recap

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:25 am #1

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your posting about Clax here on the unofficial OLA forum. I really appreciate your feedback and I thank you for posting it in a positive manner while still telling us how to improve as a league.

Reading your posts and adding your ideas with ours I believe will help make our league better heading into week three.

We have already begun changing somethings, the biggest one being the doubleheader times. We are thinking of going 4pm and 7:30pm so we can clear the buildings in between games. More importantly if we do this we can now be able to charge for one game and fans can purchase single game tickets for all games. We learned a big lesson this weekend about this in our first crack at an official doubleheader. So we will make up for it going forward.

If any fans felt mislead by having to pay for a doubleheader ticket on Saturday in Oshawa, email me and I will look after you.

Ticket prices we are looking at but with the cost of the venue being much higher then summer we have to be careful how low we can go. The unfortunate thing for us is we have to charge tax, in the summer all teams do not charge tax on tickets (except for the Peterborough Memorial Centre) so a $10.00 ticket is just that $10.00. We are $15 for our top ticket and unfortunately we have had some concern it's too high. But if we want to be a Pro league we have to generate revenue through tickets sales so we will look at this carefully.

I think we have to have a kids price point (the $16 was a doubleheader cost I believe, $13 plus the horrible service charges and taxes that get added on tickets in places like the GM Centre and the Powerade Centre.) Again if you know the family, LMK and we will correct this.

I also believe and agree we have to get out in the community and give out as many free comp tickets to kids so they can attend with a paid adult. More to come on that, check our website later this week.

Overall, the product has been great, our brand is good, it's just getting information out to all lacrosse fans that has been hard, it would be great to use the OLA Database or have all the minor organizations email their registrants....Hint, Hint but that has been a major challenge for us in year one. Hopefully we can convince everyone that we are trying to grow the game of lacrosse, not hinder it.

That being said, we do have a great opportunity to grow the game of lacrosse and the feedback we have received so far has shown us that we are doing the right thing.

Keep the suggestions coming, we appreciate it.

thank you,

Paul St. John
Commissioner
Canadian Lacrosse League

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 pm #2

Can Data Bases which belong to clubs and ultimately the OLA, be utilized to promote another organization that is a separate entity?? I am not certain therefore I hope that some one has done their due diligence on the privacy piece before suggesting to OLA Clubs to wink wink get those out. It maybe perfectly fine but I am sure many club presidents/registrars would breathe a sigh of relief to know with 100% certainty that they have not crossed any lines with both the OLA and or beyond. If it no problem then a good means to market Clax within the lax community for sure.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:49 pm #3

For the most part, using a database of lacrosse registrations to promote lacrosse would be acceptable under Canada's privacy laws. Basically, when an organization collects your personal data, they state general purposes related to it. If a local association sent out an e-mail blast to the members promoting a lacrosse game, they would not typically be violating their internal privacy policy (or broader privacy legislation).

Things get a little foggier if they provide their list to a third-party (CLAX), but even that might not be a violation depending on how the local association's privacy policy is drafted.

The issue of who "owns" the data is the more important question. My assumption (and unlike the privacy issue, this is just a guess) is that the local associations own their databases and simply provide information to the OLA and therefore could make this sort of decision. If the associations simply collect registration details on behalf of the OLA, though, the issue is a bit trickier.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:00 pm #4

just spread the word through the indian rubber telegraph that you need some email addresses and see what appears in your inbox . no ola no associations. just a bunch of people that know some other people. Maybe a link on the clax website for this.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 pm #5

Can Data Bases which belong to clubs and ultimately the OLA, be utilized to promote another organization that is a separate entity?? I am not certain therefore I hope that some one has done their due diligence on the privacy piece before suggesting to OLA Clubs to wink wink get those out. It maybe perfectly fine but I am sure many club presidents/registrars would breathe a sigh of relief to know with 100% certainty that they have not crossed any lines with both the OLA and or beyond. If it no problem then a good means to market Clax within the lax community for sure.

The OLA has no problem using it's email list to promote the Toronto Rock. Turn about is fair play - why would they not extend the same courtesy to Clax!?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:34 pm #6

I would think that when CLAX makes the contribution both from the Marketing and a Financial standpoint that The Rock have done over the years the OLA will rethink the policy.
The Rock also don't run a Minor program that like it or not, competes for the family sports budget. The OLA is not obligated to help "all" Lacrosse. They do have the right to pick and choose what they feel is best for Lacrosse in Ontario. I choose to sign my kids up for Lacrosse in Ontario, therefore expect and accept emails from my Minor organization. As well as those from the OLA. I would not appreciate emails "promoting" Private for Profit leagues.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 pm #7

Please tell me what huge financial contribution that the Rock has made to the OLA. I think that you will find that it is a pittance compared to the promotional value provided to them by the OLA (if they even make a financial contribution). I supsect that the only thing that the Rock does for the OLA is to allow it to run the 50/50 at Rock games. They certainly aren't interested in providing direct support to OLA clubs - tried that, got nowhere.

And the NLL isn't a "Private for Profit League"? LOL.

And guess what, those Rock emails aren't coming from your minor organization - they're coming from the OLA using the database generated by your registration information.

Finally, how is Junior Clax in competition with OLA minor lacrosse? I would bet dollars to donuts that every lasty player in Junior Clax was registered with an OLA club last summer and will be again this summer. That's like saying that spring hockey is in competion with OMHA hockey. LOL

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm #8

The Rock and the NLL are in direct competiton with MLS for fans and players - many more top players would be playing MLS if the NLL were not in existnce - that's a fact. So why then is the OLA doing more to promote the NLL than its own league, the MLS?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:58 pm #9

just spread the word through the indian rubber telegraph that you need some email addresses and see what appears in your inbox . no ola no associations. just a bunch of people that know some other people. Maybe a link on the clax website for this.
they won't give it to you free, they'll want to impose a head tax on all your registrants....just sayinn....

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:44 pm #10

Please tell me what huge financial contribution that the Rock has made to the OLA. I think that you will find that it is a pittance compared to the promotional value provided to them by the OLA (if they even make a financial contribution). I supsect that the only thing that the Rock does for the OLA is to allow it to run the 50/50 at Rock games. They certainly aren't interested in providing direct support to OLA clubs - tried that, got nowhere.

And the NLL isn't a "Private for Profit League"? LOL.

And guess what, those Rock emails aren't coming from your minor organization - they're coming from the OLA using the database generated by your registration information.

Finally, how is Junior Clax in competition with OLA minor lacrosse? I would bet dollars to donuts that every lasty player in Junior Clax was registered with an OLA club last summer and will be again this summer. That's like saying that spring hockey is in competion with OMHA hockey. LOL
However in fairness Summer HOckey does not expect the OMHA to promote summer hockey via its data base. That I can 100% guarantee. What the OLA/Rock partnership is I nor any of us know the details so I cannot compare nor comment
I just read a while back the CLAX commissioner unequivocally stating that their is no affilition/partnership etc etc with the OLA and they were stand alone(if I read that post correctly), so again can OLA member associations then utilize the OLA database (made up of the OLA forms that each member signs. Members do not sign own forms, they must sign OLA forms so I think (may be wrong) that is OLA protected information.

I think this is vital information that must be known by all clubs to ensure they are not crossing the privacy line.