Chiefs 11 Brampton 10 OT.....bizzare chess game finish

Chiefs 11 Brampton 10 OT.....bizzare chess game finish

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:47 am #1

i'm pretty sure the underlying story behind the last 2 minutes of the game is that the Chiefs had to win by 3 goals and then win tomorrow vs. KW to take 3rd place overall. if this wasn't the case then someone please fill me in....here's how it worked itself out : 2 minutes left chiefs are up 9-7. they pull the goalie (!!) and brampton scores an empty netter. after the draw which brampton wins chiefs pull the goalie and brampton refuses to shoot on net. chiefs regain possession of the ball with 3 seconds left and score on themselves. (!!!) the game goes into OT, chiefs again gain a 2 goal advantage 11-9 and with a minute left pull the goalie only this time brampton scores an empty netter to end it at 11-10. brampton wins the draw. game over.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:50 am #2

Was not there,but if someone is scoring on their own net,he should have been given a gross misconduct for travesty of the game. I presume nothing was called?

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:12 am #3

Does anyone know ?

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:33 am #4

i'm pretty sure the underlying story behind the last 2 minutes of the game is that the Chiefs had to win by 3 goals and then win tomorrow vs. KW to take 3rd place overall. if this wasn't the case then someone please fill me in....here's how it worked itself out : 2 minutes left chiefs are up 9-7. they pull the goalie (!!) and brampton scores an empty netter. after the draw which brampton wins chiefs pull the goalie and brampton refuses to shoot on net. chiefs regain possession of the ball with 3 seconds left and score on themselves. (!!!) the game goes into OT, chiefs again gain a 2 goal advantage 11-9 and with a minute left pull the goalie only this time brampton scores an empty netter to end it at 11-10. brampton wins the draw. game over.
1991 last round robin game at the Kinsmen Centre. Peterborough had to win by something like 6 goals to make the final. Game was tied in the last minute and Brooklin scored on themselves to avoid the 10 minute overtime. But they left a few seconds on the clock. Both teams pulled their goalie as Peterborough won the draw and scored on their own goal to tie the game again. I don't remember who was credited with the two goals.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:44 am #5

Was not there,but if someone is scoring on their own net,he should have been given a gross misconduct for travesty of the game. I presume nothing was called?
It would have been a travesty if Brampton had pulled their own goalie and scored to avoid OT and put themselves in a better position to finish ahead of someone.

It would be a travesty if for instance in a round robin tournament a team finds out late in the game an upset score in an opposite group or they find out that a bunch of players from the first place team in the opposite group got suspended, whatever, and decide that they prefer a matchup with the first place team in the knockout round and play for the tie when they are up a goal, pull the goalie, score on themselves and finish second in their own group because there is no OT in round robin. Clear as mud?

In this case, Chiefs are trying to WIN by 3 and was well within the rules to do what they tried to do.

Keep your thinly disguised bias against the Chiefs at home and I'll try to do the same with my overt bias for the Chiefs. NOT! lol

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:53 pm #6

Does anyone know ?
I believe you can get a gross misconduct for making a travesty of the game, but I don't see where this would fall in that category. Travesty is usually something like refusing to send players on the floor, refusing to leave the floor, something unrelated to trying for the desired outcome. In this case, this was a strategy to keep alive the ability to finish third place. A two goal win was essentially a loss, so this was a way to get the three goal won they needed.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:55 pm #7

1991 last round robin game at the Kinsmen Centre. Peterborough had to win by something like 6 goals to make the final. Game was tied in the last minute and Brooklin scored on themselves to avoid the 10 minute overtime. But they left a few seconds on the clock. Both teams pulled their goalie as Peterborough won the draw and scored on their own goal to tie the game again. I don't remember who was credited with the two goals.
My guess is the player who took the faceoff for the other team would be credited with the goals, but maybe Wayne or Wamper would know what happens in that situation?

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:57 pm #8

I believe you can get a gross misconduct for making a travesty of the game, but I don't see where this would fall in that category. Travesty is usually something like refusing to send players on the floor, refusing to leave the floor, something unrelated to trying for the desired outcome. In this case, this was a strategy to keep alive the ability to finish third place. A two goal win was essentially a loss, so this was a way to get the three goal won they needed.
Then again, maybe I'm confusing my lacrosse and hockey rule books again.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:02 am #9

"Travesty of the game" isn't defined in the Rule Book other than as follows ...

SITUATION 2 Rule 48
A Minor Penalty under Rule 28 (a) or (b) shall be assessed in addition to a gross misconduct on any player or non-playing personnel making a travesty of the game by way of obscene language or gestures or racial, cultural, religious or sexist comment directed to another player, non-playing personnel, or spectator. Any of these directed towards a Referee or Off-floor Official shall be treated as molesting an Official under Rule 62.