Canadian National Championships

Canadian National Championships

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:08 pm #1

...was at the games and came away with a feeling of ..."What is the purpose of this..?" The last Qualifier was so much better than this tournament. The last place teams in the Q's could beat every team except Ontario, Iroquois and BC. I get the fact that the other provinces need to catch up to us but i think the Leafs will win the cup before that happens. I smell a cash grab. There's no way you can state this is Canada's best. What does it cost each player to play for Team Ontario?

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:51 pm #2

Let's not forget Alberta, they are currently sitting in second place in bantam right now.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:00 pm #3

...was at the games and came away with a feeling of ..."What is the purpose of this..?" The last Qualifier was so much better than this tournament. The last place teams in the Q's could beat every team except Ontario, Iroquois and BC. I get the fact that the other provinces need to catch up to us but i think the Leafs will win the cup before that happens. I smell a cash grab. There's no way you can state this is Canada's best. What does it cost each player to play for Team Ontario?
The cost is generally covered by Sponsorship achieved by the players

The Cash grab is from the try-out process of which 100's kids who don't have a
hope, paying $100+ to try-out. Yes there's insurance , rent, coach fees, a jersey but there's lots left over. Only to see many coaches pick their own team's/regions players or friends kids.
Don't deny it, so obvious from many( not all) of the coaches including this year of some ( not all ) kids get picked. I can give you proof if you need it.

I said this years ago and I will say it again, I think Ontario needs to divide the Province into 3 areas. (east/west/north) adding competition to the games. Probably stats show there is more players in Ontario then all of other provinces combined. Besides, give some other kids opportunity in Ontario to play at Nationals ( call it allstar) level. Certainly, elevate the competition then a two or three team tournament with other provinces getting trounced. Make it a tier tournament
like every other sport ( aaa's don't play a teams, A's don't play B's at Zones/Provincials )it's a waste of time. Don't even try to say kids still enjoy the experience. Have you ever loss 18-0 and did nothing but chase kids around the floor for an hour with a coach/parents yelling at you. The greatest joy that game if your team gets a shot on net. Not fun
Come on OLA, let's get this thought out so there is more opportunity/fun for all involved.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:14 pm #4

I'm not saying that this would be the definite outcome............

But how many would be complaining if it were an Ontario / Ontario Final every year. Because despite the numbers, we still carry enough talent to compete. A play down where only one Ontario team would survive would only create the same discrepancy. Eliminate two thirds of Ontario in the round robin...

That's just not cool...
Equality and Fairness...
How far are you going to take it?

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:32 pm #5

Not everyone is able to get sponsors as it is required for each player to do it on their own. Peewee's had 250 players try-out X $125.00 = alot of money
60 players X $25.00
Final 30 X $25.00

$900.00 per player after that. Not everyone can get that covered or even 1/2 of it. Not all associations can afford to pay 100 or 200 towards it.

$500.00 accomodations for player/parent that cannot be covered by sponsors, even if you are able to

CASH GRAB and you have to be living in a foggy ego boost to pay that kind of money and committ that kind of time to play lacrosse that is "C" to "E" calibre

Peewee scores
17-1
15-0 Alberta
19-0
15-1 Iroquois
16-0
6-0 B.C.
A total Mockery of the great game of lax. Hockey would never allow this.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:13 pm #6

1. I like the 3 or even 4 team division from Ontario alone. Divide the province into quarters
2. Let the natives do the same thing and maybe pipeline a few to other parts of the province to balance it out. That makes 8 teams.
3. B.C. and Alberta will be allowed to bring one team each which now totals 10 teams.
4. The rest of Canada goes Tier 2 and the winner of 2 moves up next year...last place in tier 1 moves down
...Other than that, this tourney is merely a cash grab at the expense of parents who think this is going to get their DNA to the bigs.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:55 am #7

Let's not forget Alberta, they are currently sitting in second place in bantam right now.
Coached by a Hamilton boy...nm

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:00 am #8

1. I like the 3 or even 4 team division from Ontario alone. Divide the province into quarters
2. Let the natives do the same thing and maybe pipeline a few to other parts of the province to balance it out. That makes 8 teams.
3. B.C. and Alberta will be allowed to bring one team each which now totals 10 teams.
4. The rest of Canada goes Tier 2 and the winner of 2 moves up next year...last place in tier 1 moves down
...Other than that, this tourney is merely a cash grab at the expense of parents who think this is going to get their DNA to the bigs.
No- one says you have to participate if you don't like it- if you think it's a cash grab don't participate. I have been to this tournament a few times and let me tell you it is fantastic.Remember the alternative- the way it used to be- invitational tournaments with club teams - the Festival is a great event and so are the Nationals - a true showcase of our sport- .

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:22 pm #9

Please check the scores and get back to me on that. "A" teams playing "D" teams ain't what I call a showcase.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:11 pm #10

I'm not saying that this would be the definite outcome............

But how many would be complaining if it were an Ontario / Ontario Final every year. Because despite the numbers, we still carry enough talent to compete. A play down where only one Ontario team would survive would only create the same discrepancy. Eliminate two thirds of Ontario in the round robin...

That's just not cool...
Equality and Fairness...
How far are you going to take it?
Here's another idea: why not go back to the nationals being a tournament where associations compete rather than provinces, like it used to be? These provincial teams are flawed for all the reasons cited; I don't want to repeat them. Kids could play for their real team. A, B, & C levels would be in place, etc. AND the tourny could move around. The kids from BC and elsewhere must get tired of going to Whitby too, right? Then there's the expense of travelling across the country. My best memory from minor was playing in the midget nationals in 1981 in Montreal for my team, not for some dodgy team Ontario. Ontario lacrosse players might then actually get a chance to play somewhere else besides southern Ontario and see other regions of the country.