Broken Wrist Already

Broken Wrist Already

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:50 pm #1

We fought as hard as we could and said CAT 1 gear is not safe for our goalies and the worst case scenerio has happened already. In CAT 1 gear our very big Novice goalie broke his wrist Sunday night when a ball was shot at him.
His parents already have contacted a lawyer and he is very confident the CLA & the OLA are discriminating and are making rules to ensure injuries. We are being told by the lawyer to keep wearing the CAT 2 gear and we will have a camera man at every game to record how the OLA refs handle each situation.
When the goalie is sent off to change into CAT1 gear that will help our case and when the goalie is told he is too big to play net that will be discrimination.

We already have 1 serious injury and our season hasn't even started yet, the OLA & CLA is in for a rocky ride in 2012 and we have been assured the governing body that creates and enforces these rules are responsible for the injuries that will occur and every time the refs tell a kid he is too big to play the goalie position that will be discrimination.

I will be one of the cameramen in the stands at 2012 Novice games and tell the refs to get ready to be named on law suites and make sure they save some holiday time for those days when they have to appear in court because it's coming and every ref that appears on tape will have to appear in court.

This is really sad that the OLA & CLA have changed face mask standards, lacrosse net standards and goalie equipment standards just to create revenue, I thought rule changes were made to improve safety but that cannot be the reason or we would not have a kid with a broken wrist talking to a lawyer right now.

Thanks for growing the sport of lacrosse and keeping our kids safe!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:06 pm #2

My son has played goal since he was 6 years old and now plays jr. B. For the first couple of years our organization supplied the goalie equipment. After that we were on our own and no gaolie equipment is supplied any more at any age level in our areas minor system. The OLA needs to realize that every time we have to buy new equipment more kids wind up out of the sport because parents can't afford the price let alone the chance of injuries. There is very little used equipment out there and the last set of Bodham uppers I bought my kid was the same price as our mortgage payment. Changes usually - to me anyway - seem designed to help the shooters, not protect the goalie. It's time to let the refs determine if the equipment is appropriate for the child - that way no one gets hurt.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:44 pm #3

We fought as hard as we could and said CAT 1 gear is not safe for our goalies and the worst case scenerio has happened already. In CAT 1 gear our very big Novice goalie broke his wrist Sunday night when a ball was shot at him.
His parents already have contacted a lawyer and he is very confident the CLA & the OLA are discriminating and are making rules to ensure injuries. We are being told by the lawyer to keep wearing the CAT 2 gear and we will have a camera man at every game to record how the OLA refs handle each situation.
When the goalie is sent off to change into CAT1 gear that will help our case and when the goalie is told he is too big to play net that will be discrimination.

We already have 1 serious injury and our season hasn't even started yet, the OLA & CLA is in for a rocky ride in 2012 and we have been assured the governing body that creates and enforces these rules are responsible for the injuries that will occur and every time the refs tell a kid he is too big to play the goalie position that will be discrimination.

I will be one of the cameramen in the stands at 2012 Novice games and tell the refs to get ready to be named on law suites and make sure they save some holiday time for those days when they have to appear in court because it's coming and every ref that appears on tape will have to appear in court.

This is really sad that the OLA & CLA have changed face mask standards, lacrosse net standards and goalie equipment standards just to create revenue, I thought rule changes were made to improve safety but that cannot be the reason or we would not have a kid with a broken wrist talking to a lawyer right now.

Yes you have to wear cat 1 gear, BUT if the player in question is too big for Cat 1 gear they are allowed to wear cat2 gear. Your association should and can give you the form you need to have filled out. Its your responsibility to make sure your child has proper gear on. Next time exercise due diligence.I know this yet my kid doesn't play goal so thier is no excuse.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:55 pm #4

She:kon!

A couple of troubling comments, even though I fully agree with you that safety should come first and there are exceptions to every rule.  And I hope your goalie recovers quickly to still enjoy the season.

"<em>We fought as hard as we could and said CAT 1 gear is not safe for our goalies and the worst case scenerio has happened already. In CAT 1 gear our very big Novice goalie broke his wrist Sunday night when a ball was shot at him."</em>

Is this house league or rep?  My understanding is that the goalie gear categories can only be enforced at the rep level.

"<em>His parents already have contacted a lawyer and he is very confident the CLA & the OLA are discriminating and are making rules to ensure injuries</em>."

Rules to <em>ensure</em> injuries?  I find that a rather incredible claim.

"<em>When the goalie is sent off to change into CAT1 gear that will help our case and when the goalie is told he is too big to play net that will be discrimination.</em>"

I thought each category level had three different sizes.  Is your goalie in the largest size for his category?

This is what I am not understanding: New Goalie Equipment Standards  (at the bottom of the doc)

It says that "Custom made equipment may be used provided the equipment still meets the appropriate specifications provided above."  The specifications are for <em><strong>width</strong></em>, not <em><strong>length</strong></em>.  If your goalie got injured because of the <em><strong>length </strong></em>of the arm, then the equipment can be customized to address that.  You just can't add anything to the width.  This might make you culpable if you knowingly let a player out onto the floor with unsafe equipment and you can be sure, that if you fire at the OLA, they are going to fire right back.  For example, if the belly pad was too short it looks like I would be able to add-on to that to make it the proper length so long as I stay within the sizing limits for <em><strong>width</strong></em>.  I would think that you can customize category equipment like this, especially for exceptionally tall kids.

So perhaps some folks that are well informed about the new goalie equipment standards could wade in on this and clear the rule up a little?

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:57 pm #5

ask your association for the goalie equipment waiver.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:21 pm #6

Does anyone know where this form can be found, it isn't on the OLA website

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:57 pm #7

I'm a little puzzled that you would go after the refs in this case they are just enforcing the rules that are there. With comments like this what if your suns game gets canceled because there are afaried of getting sued them what are you going to do
Go after the ola and cla not the men in black. Let the kids be safe and have a good summer

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 am #8

You've got a novice with a shot hard enough to break a wrist?

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:59 am #9

Wouldn't a broken wrist be largely due to the quality and coverage of the gloves?
Is there a restriction/category specific to gloves?

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:17 am #10

Yes you have to wear cat 1 gear, BUT if the player in question is too big for Cat 1 gear they are allowed to wear cat2 gear. Your association should and can give you the form you need to have filled out. Its your responsibility to make sure your child has proper gear on. Next time exercise due diligence.I know this yet my kid doesn't play goal so thier is no excuse.
From what I understand (and I may be incorrect with some points) , this year there will be NO exceptions to the numbering system .There is also no oversize waiver available.
Goalie uppers up to Cat 3 come in one size unless custom made and good luck getting a set of customs before provincials
Cat 1&2 have some adjustibility to the arm length.(Look under the shoulder caps.)
My kid is huge and has never fit into his correct number.I have always done everything I could to protect him.Young goalies should NEVER get hurt. EVER.
The refs don't check equipment.The request for an equipment check must come from the opposing coach (and it takes a real dick to ask for it)and the ref will usually tell that coach,"The equipment looks good to me"
My advice to the other goalie parents out there is simple.Screw the rule.Protect your kid. Cut off the #1 and sew on a #2 if you have to.