Best professional hockey playing lacrosse player

Best professional hockey playing lacrosse player

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:02 pm #1

Noticed Wampers post about 3 NHLers playing on the 1960 Sr B champ team so thought I would ask who everyone thought was the best NHL'er to play lacrosse. There were many in the old days (60's and 70's).
My vote will be for Rick Dudley who played with the Owen Sound Northstars in the early 70's I believe.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:19 pm #2

When he played junior A for the Whitby Warriors in the Minto Cup in 1986 he was on a par with both the Gait twins, Gary and Paul and still vote for those 3 as being the best juniors I ever saw play.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:28 pm #3

And with all due respect to both Gait's (amazing players), Joe at that time was better.

By the way Wamp, that was '85 against the Gait's.

Gary

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 pm #4

Noticed Wampers post about 3 NHLers playing on the 1960 Sr B champ team so thought I would ask who everyone thought was the best NHL'er to play lacrosse. There were many in the old days (60's and 70's).
My vote will be for Rick Dudley who played with the Owen Sound Northstars in the early 70's I believe.
Never saw him play in-person, but his stats alone should be enough to put him on this list.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:38 pm #5

And with all due respect to both Gait's (amazing players), Joe at that time was better.

By the way Wamp, that was '85 against the Gait's.

Gary
came to Whitby and Johnny Fusco jumped on Ross Angellini's bck and broke his thumb. That was the year the crowd jumped onto the floor, and after seeing the size of the players tried to jump back up into the crowd. It was the first lacrosse game I ever took my dear departed brother-in-law, Ken to and he fell in lov with the game.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 pm #6

I figure Bobby Orr is entitled to join that group on his hockey playing skills alone.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:43 pm #7

Never saw him play in-person, but his stats alone should be enough to put him on this list.
the lacrosse playing hockey player or is it hockey playing lacrosse player. He won the scoring title in the first season of box lacrosse, in 1931 playing for the Montreal Maroons. Then Newsy Lalonde would be the first name out of a lot of other peoples mouth.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:11 pm #8

"The best NHL'er to play lacrosse" would probably be Wayne Gretzky (although not at a high level). The best lacrosse player to play in the NHL makes for an interesting list (Jack Bionda, Rick Dudley, Joe Niuenwendyk, etc.). What I'd like to know is whether they would have picked lacrosse over hockey if the money was better?

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:44 pm #9

I figure Bobby Orr is entitled to join that group on his hockey playing skills alone.
Bolland played for the Mimico Junior B's as a 15 year old putting up big points. Jonny T played for Missy Junior A as a 15 year old too I think. Both were awesome lacrosse players but I think there OHL coaches shut down the idea of playing lacrosse in the summer.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:31 pm #10

don't know much about these other fellows in this clip but I did go to Byrnell Manor Hockey School which was run by the Stukus brothers, I believe Annis and Bill played for the Argos and Annis was briefly a Leaf and apparently played lacrosse as well.....

Larry: Who were the top three players who you have ever seen
play the game?

Lewis: It's hard. Bill Isaacs, Kenny Dixon. He's only 72 years
old. Oh Christ, there's Ike Hildebrand. There's all kinds of
them. If I took time and figured it out I could give you a better
list. I did play with Reggie Hamilton, Reese Thompson, and
Annis Stukus. They all played with us. We had a big team there,
boy. 1943. Played against Bill Isaacs. Dixon played against me
on Mimico, Archie Dixon, Jack Williams. Donnie McPhail was one
of the toughest guys I ever played lacrosse against. He could
really fight. Oh ****, I think he would take Scotty McMichael.