Bantam B Scheduling - just over 1 hour between games!!!

Bantam B Scheduling - just over 1 hour between games!!!

Thu May 14, 2009 4:53 pm #1

How is it that a Bantam team can be expected to play at 4:30 at Trent Main and should one of them move on, would have to immediately hop in the car and drive to Kenner field for a game at 6:45. I know it is what it is and scheduling is a pain, but the last BB1 would finish at 4:30 giving them a nice rest. Considering we are only getting 2 games (poss. 3) if we move compared to other division getting 4 & 5 games and now kids are expected to play a game within 1 hour of finishing their previous game and a good chunk of that time will be spent in a car driving. It would be nice to rest the kids and get them something to eat.

And if anyone asks, yes I volunteer, I do sneak lots work for lacrosse at my day job too, and spend many extra hours helping, just want to make sure everyone is given fair and equal opportunity to advance to provincials. Right now, it's not looking too fair to me.

Thu May 14, 2009 9:34 pm #2

That's just the way it is from Minor all the way up to U19 and Senior Men's. Limited fields combined with plenty of teams leaves very little wiggle room for the scheduler's when it comes to this. Rest assured the schedulers have done the best job they can and making things are fair as possible... This is an argument that people bring up every year. Whether or not people volunteer or not for lacrosse they just need to leave the schedulers alone and let them do their already difficult jobs.

Fri May 15, 2009 3:42 am #3

It is NOT that way in Minor lacrosse. In fact, the OLA requires that a team be given a MINIMUM of 3 hours rest between games for tournaments, qualifiers and provincials.

Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 am #4

MR7.05(b) of the OLA Rules and Regs states that "Where possible, the Corporation shall arrange the schedule in the playoffs and championship tournaments so that every team will be allowed three (3) hours rest between games." So although not technically a requirement, it's definitely something that should be done "where possible". I don't recall a schedule ever being this tight in a Box tournament.

The first poster is right. One team will likely have to finish a game at about 6:00 pm then hop in the car to drive across town for a game at 6:45 pm. Lets hope the first field is on time and the second one isn't!

I'm still not clear as to why the Bantam "A" division gets 5 guaranteed games spread over 2 days while the "B" and "C" divisions only get 2 guaranteed with a third game for 8 of the 12 teams all to be done on 1 day. That's what has lead to the above problem.

Fri May 15, 2009 12:37 pm #5

That's just the way it is from Minor all the way up to U19 and Senior Men's. Limited fields combined with plenty of teams leaves very little wiggle room for the scheduler's when it comes to this. Rest assured the schedulers have done the best job they can and making things are fair as possible... This is an argument that people bring up every year. Whether or not people volunteer or not for lacrosse they just need to leave the schedulers alone and let them do their already difficult jobs.
Good point, yes there are limited fields and a lot of teams to schedule. So why not reduce Bantam "A" from 5 games down to 3 and all the other age groups that are getting 4 & 5 games over two days and be fair to Bantam B&C.

I have all the respect in the world for schedulers, I know from experience it can be difficult to appease everyone. But all we would need to do is cut back some of the other divisions that are getting way more games and we could give kids a bit more rest and real shot at trying to make Provincials. Not really fair when the team from the BB1 group will have several hours rest and a chance to eat and the BB2 kids will spend the time between their games driving to the new field.

I think what everyone needs to remember is that it's the kids that are important and to give them every opportunity to compete fairly. Right now I don't see how this is fair.

Fri May 15, 2009 1:53 pm #6

How is it that a Bantam team can be expected to play at 4:30 at Trent Main and should one of them move on, would have to immediately hop in the car and drive to Kenner field for a game at 6:45. I know it is what it is and scheduling is a pain, but the last BB1 would finish at 4:30 giving them a nice rest. Considering we are only getting 2 games (poss. 3) if we move compared to other division getting 4 & 5 games and now kids are expected to play a game within 1 hour of finishing their previous game and a good chunk of that time will be spent in a car driving. It would be nice to rest the kids and get them something to eat.

And if anyone asks, yes I volunteer, I do sneak lots work for lacrosse at my day job too, and spend many extra hours helping, just want to make sure everyone is given fair and equal opportunity to advance to provincials. Right now, it's not looking too fair to me.
Who's butt did they kiss to get dropped back down to B?

Fri May 15, 2009 8:34 pm #7

MR7.05(b) of the OLA Rules and Regs states that "Where possible, the Corporation shall arrange the schedule in the playoffs and championship tournaments so that every team will be allowed three (3) hours rest between games." So although not technically a requirement, it's definitely something that should be done "where possible". I don't recall a schedule ever being this tight in a Box tournament.

The first poster is right. One team will likely have to finish a game at about 6:00 pm then hop in the car to drive across town for a game at 6:45 pm. Lets hope the first field is on time and the second one isn't!

I'm still not clear as to why the Bantam "A" division gets 5 guaranteed games spread over 2 days while the "B" and "C" divisions only get 2 guaranteed with a third game for 8 of the 12 teams all to be done on 1 day. That's what has lead to the above problem.
You are saying that it's not fair that they have 1 game in between the midget two oshawa team has that situation and we're not complaining we'll be just as tired 3 hours after as 1 hour after

Fri May 15, 2009 9:31 pm #8

No, I just tried to clarify the OLA rules about the time in between games. Three hours is desirable but it's not required. In Field you often have a game in between 2 of your games and I don't think anyone has a problem with that. At Box tournaments you usually have a couple in between. The problem the original poster had is that there will be 45 minutes between games and they are across town from each other. As a practical matter, getting 15 to 20 kids & families to pack up, get in the car, not get lost going from one place to another, get ready for the next game, etc. would be a bit of a problem. Everything would have to go right.