A question

A question

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:34 pm #1

Does anyone else find the no 30 second clock on the shorthanded situation in the MSL to detract from the game . I have noticed several times in the past couple of years teams just standing around wasting the clock while the team on the Power Play lets them. The action grinds to a halt, the fans at the game and on TV at home are left to watch the best Athletes at their game stand and look at a clock for 90 seconds or so , till their man comes back on the floor . Why was this rule installed ? did they think ?that it would speed the game up ? or create some exciting "Ragging" of the ball?.It virtually stops the game and renders any advantage gained by the penalty . I dont know !! it just all seems to the detriment of the game . can anyone please explain the logic , I am frustrated each time I see this . The last time I watched the Lakers and Redmen I estimate we lost 6-8 minutes of playing time ( the fans pay for this ) . I say, on a man short you have to attempt to advance the ball, or face a loss of possesion charge.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 pm #2

Ron, i agree with you. makes for a boring part of the game. I liked the rule the CLAX league used in regards to 30 second clock, made for interesting lacrosse.

One can only hope the rule can be revised to make this part of the game more exciting.
Arrow's Fan

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:57 pm #3

Does anyone else find the no 30 second clock on the shorthanded situation in the MSL to detract from the game . I have noticed several times in the past couple of years teams just standing around wasting the clock while the team on the Power Play lets them. The action grinds to a halt, the fans at the game and on TV at home are left to watch the best Athletes at their game stand and look at a clock for 90 seconds or so , till their man comes back on the floor . Why was this rule installed ? did they think ?that it would speed the game up ? or create some exciting "Ragging" of the ball?.It virtually stops the game and renders any advantage gained by the penalty . I dont know !! it just all seems to the detriment of the game . can anyone please explain the logic , I am frustrated each time I see this . The last time I watched the Lakers and Redmen I estimate we lost 6-8 minutes of playing time ( the fans pay for this ) . I say, on a man short you have to attempt to advance the ball, or face a loss of possesion charge.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm #4

Brooklin certainly folowed that strategy and even gave up a shorthanded goal doing so. I think it cost them a chance to win on Wednesday, since they would have a PP for one shot and then let SN kill the rest without opposition, while SN scored on virtually all of their PP chances. SN also tried to regain possesion while on the PP.

The double edged sword in this is that if you run the 30 second clock, you are guiaranteeing 30 seconds of wasted time (see the NLL), whereas, if it doesn't run, teams (other than Wayne Colley coached ones) might aggrssively try to get the ball back by double teaming the ball carrier.

What was the Clax rule?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:57 pm #5

We went to the 30 second shot clock while shorthanded not too long ago and it was a guaranteed 30 seconds of wasted time. Teams would be happy to waste 30 seconds and then toss the ball at the net from afar.

With the rule as it is you are giving the chance for excitement. Whether it is a good ball rag or a strong double team that leads to a quick break. If the coach chooses to drop a man back and let the shorthanded team kill time then that is entirely his perogative.

You may not like it but I'll take the chance for excitement over the for sure 30 seconds of boredom any time.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:30 pm #6

I believe this is the only league that has that rule in lacrosse. Also it usually just leads to the other team taking a holding or slashing penalty while trying to strip the ball.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:57 pm #7

There are teams who take pride in being able to rag the ball successfully and kill the penalty. Personally I think it is great watching a team try to kill the penalty and sometimes even turning the corner and scoring shorthanded. The NLL way of doing it is totally boring and predctable. The no 30 on short handed is the way it always was before. Is it perfect now? - probably not... can it be improved on? - probably. Eg. ball carrier must remain in motion.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:59 pm #8

Brooklin certainly folowed that strategy and even gave up a shorthanded goal doing so. I think it cost them a chance to win on Wednesday, since they would have a PP for one shot and then let SN kill the rest without opposition, while SN scored on virtually all of their PP chances. SN also tried to regain possesion while on the PP.

The double edged sword in this is that if you run the 30 second clock, you are guiaranteeing 30 seconds of wasted time (see the NLL), whereas, if it doesn't run, teams (other than Wayne Colley coached ones) might aggrssively try to get the ball back by double teaming the ball carrier.

What was the Clax rule?
This really is only a problem during games that involved the Brooklin Redmen. Personally I find few things more exciting then watching an expert at ragging the ball evade checks break through the double team and get an uncontested shot on goal.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:32 pm #9

I have pondered over the years why there are some many rule adaptions when a penalty is taken.
My ideal situation would be....

If team "A" takes a minor penalty the 30 shot clock should still be used by both teams. The get out of your own end in 10 seconds rule should disappear against team "A" as well.(Kill the penalty wherever you want and turn the ball over at your own risk).

Why should the penalized team be granted more time with the ball than the man up team ? (even if in offensive zone)
Who broke the damn rules in the first place? Penalize the **** out of team "A" and maybe the game might clean up a tad !
Team "B" still has to follow all the regular rules when team "A" is short. I think this scenario is fair to all.

Thoughts appreciated..

Drawman

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:47 pm #10

make a valid point and i am almost convinced....but i still like to watch a good "rag" team that can play "keep away"....