Update: A slightly modified version of the third beta is available since 26th of February due to a bug with parallax mapping.
Christmas is one day earlier this year. The beta of Ultimate 3D v. 2.0 is finally done as well as the documentation and it has been released by now. You can find it on the website of Ultimate 3D. Ultimate 3D v. 2.0 is a complete remake. So although this is the very first beta release I expect it to be more bug free than Ultimate 3D v. 1.31. Anyway I can't except that there are still some bugs which need to be fixed. For that reason I appreciate any bug report. Please give as much information as possible when reporting a bug to help fixing it. If Ultimate 3D has showed you some error message quote this message. Error messages are the best information about possible reasons for bugs you can get.
Ultimate 3D v. 2.0 has so many new features that it makes no sense to list only the new features. So here's a complete list of all available features.
- A system for drawing primitive geometry to get started easily and fast
- Easy to use model loading system for
- animated 3D Studio Max files (*.3ds)
- animated Quake II model files (*.md2)
- animated Anim8or files (incl. vertex skinning) (*.an8)
- animated DirectX model files (incl. vertex skinning) (*.x)
- Vertex tweening, a technique to make frame based animation as it's used by *.md2 files totally smooth
- Easy to use lighting and fog engine
- Support for sky spheres and sky cubes
- Simple functions for drawing 2D graphics and texts
- Fully automatic level of detail generation
- Functions to manipulate model geometry in real-time
- Cel-shading for comic like graphics
- Multi texturing for techniques such as light mapping
- Spherical and cubical environment mapping (for perfect reflections)
- An easy to use management system for shader effects (vertex and pixel shaders)
- The famous parallax mapping and bump mapping (also known as per pixel lighting)
- An extremely efficient terrain renderer with texture splatting for big and detailed terrains
- A complex particle effects system
- Support for split screens
- Render to texture and render to cube texture functions
- Math functions for simple vector and matrix calculations
- A provisional system for extremely efficient culling (for performance optimization)
- 32-bit z-buffering and mip-mapping
If you have been working on a project with Ultimate 3D v. 1.31 before you'll find information on updating it to Ultimate 3D v. 2.0 in the documentation. That's just what I did with the old demo of Ultimate 3D v. 1.31. There is no new demo for Ultimate 3D v. 2.0 thus far. For that reason here are a few screenshots from test applications I made for Ultimate 3D v. 2.0. Some of them have been posted before in the topic Ultimate 3D v. 2.0 Work in progress.
This picture shows parallax mapping and per pixel lighting with three light sources.
The next two pictures demonstrate the terrain renderer:
This picture shows cubic environment mapping in combination with the render to cube texture functions which leads to perfect reflections:
And finally here's a screenshot of a custom shader effect that can be used to render fire in realtime. I'll post the Ultimate 3D effect file (*.ufx) that has been used to create this effect in the tutorials section very soon.
All these screenshots have been taken on a PC with 1 Ghz and an ATI PowerColor 9250, so you can expect better frame rates on other systems. If you don't like the fact that there's no new demo currently, why don't you just make one on your own. Just participate in the Ultimate 3D v. 2.0 demo competition. The best one will get it's place on the website of Ultimate 3D. For more information have a look at the corresponding topic.
Note that the new version of Ultimate 3D comes with an end user license agreement (EULA). In principle there's nothing special about this. I just wanted ensure a few rights some people didn't consider self-evident before . You can find the EULA in the license.txt that comes with every download.
As I already said I appreciate any bug report. If you have noticed a bug in the beta please post it within this topic. When the first bugs get reported I'll add a list of known bugs here.
Have fun with the new engine and a merry Christmas to all of you.
With friendly regards
P.S.: Guest postings have been disabled now. It's confusing if people are posting frequently without giving some proper name. I hope that disabling the guest posting will make this forum become more like a community and less like a guest book.
- Some *.x files can lead to unexpected errors when loading them.
- *.x files without a skeleton get loaded mirrored.
- Cel-Shading doesn't work for objects that use normal-skeleton animation.
- There's a typo in the Init() script that makes PreloadMesh() not be working. The solution can be found here (reported by Sektor_Z).
- The Left, Top, Width and Height parameters of the DrawTexEx(...) function don't work correctly.
- *.an8 files can cause a message telling you that Ultimate 3D failed to create a vertex buffer.
- In some particular cases the animations of *.an8 files get loaded wrongly.
- Parallax mapping doesn't work in combination with vertex skinning and vertex tweening.[/size]