Moderators: Despellanion, Dr. Best

Linkin
Forum God
Linkin
Forum God

July 2nd, 2008, 9:26 am #11

@ Dr.Best

If you do decide to do a public release of Ultimate3D 3.0, will it still be free?

Want something done in Photoshop, make a request Here

Formerly known as DS-Development.

Dr. Best
Forum God
Dr. Best
Forum God

July 2nd, 2008, 10:48 am #12

That depends on how much money I will have during my study. I would prefer to make it free.

Electricity
Elite Member
Electricity
Elite Member

July 2nd, 2008, 2:58 pm #13

Even if you did make it free you can expect a donation from my side ;)
Anyway why did you remove primitive management?
And its nice that you switch to C++ BUT will it feature a BasicC++.cpp file? :rolleyes:

And i have been trying to learn C++ but the ressources i found only featured basic stuff like variables and arrays.
Do you know a ressource i can use?

Rixeno
Forum Leader
Rixeno
Forum Leader

July 2nd, 2008, 3:36 pm #14

Wow, it's funny, you know it's going to happen some day, you just don't know when :P. Then again, this might be exactly what I needed to go back and try to learn C++, I'm getting VSC++ right now because I heard it's one of the best free systems. I'm hoping to know enough to make a game by the time you release Independent U3D3.0.

So like Gandalf20000 said, it's good and bad news. Bad because, well, it's discontinued for GM, and good in the form of it's still being "continued" but for a more versatile system.

Question: Would it still be possible to use U3D3.0 for GM if someone's able to write all the functions? Or is that too much to ask? :P Doesn't bother me though, I want to upgrade from GML to C++.

NOTE TO SELF: Wow, I guess in a way, if it wasn't for U3D, I might of been stuck with GM for my life... Wow, I'll just finish my big GM project and then C++ here I come :medieval:
Report spam the nanosecond you see it.
Ninjas are everywhere, for all you know there are eleven behind you right now, including me...

Dr. Best
Forum God
Dr. Best
Forum God

July 2nd, 2008, 3:45 pm #15

I never said that there will be a release, which can be used through C++ directly. What I said is the following:
Dr. Best (I hate to have to quote myself) wrote:For this reason I am considering several ways in which I may release Ultimate 3D 3.0. The one, which seems most likely at the moment is that I will use it to make a game making solution myself someday. It would be based upon an existing scripting language. Probably either Lua or Python. It would not be meant to be as easy to use as Game Maker, but it would be still quite user-friendly. The other two ways in which I may release Ultimate 3D 3.0 are either as closed-source library or as open-source project. Currently I do not think that I will do this though.
This should answer your questions.
Electricity wrote:Anyway why did you remove primitive management?
The whole idea was not as good as I thought initially. The memory consumption is high and culling can not take place. The performance gain, which results from the reduction of draw calls, does not compensate these disadvantages. Ultimate 3D 3.0 will have instancing, which could be seen as a nice replacement for primitive management.

Despellanion
Forum God

July 2nd, 2008, 5:09 pm #16

This is old news to me. I was even surprised you made a version 2.1 for Game Maker. I'm glad you did thought. Good luck with U3D 3.0. I will move onwards past Game Maker now as well.

Mauro
Elite Member
Mauro
Elite Member

July 2nd, 2008, 5:40 pm #17

good luck! i want U3D 3.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming c++ and directx

Electricity
Elite Member
Electricity
Elite Member

July 2nd, 2008, 6:43 pm #18

@Dr.Best: So we're gonna use LUA or Python to code games? How are we gonna compile that?

Dr. Best
Forum God
Dr. Best
Forum God

July 2nd, 2008, 8:22 pm #19

Please do not ask that many questions about something that may never exist. It is pointless. I can understand that you are curious, but years could pass before the answers would become relevant and most things are not decided yet.
Despellanion wrote:This is old news to me. I was even surprised you made a version 2.1 for Game Maker. I'm glad you did thought. Good luck with U3D 3.0. I will move onwards past Game Maker now as well.
Seems like I am the only one who is actually surprised about that decision :D . Seriously, a month ago I did not have these plans. They are quite new.

It is cool to see how many of you intend to start learning something more advanced then Game Maker.

ashrat3000
Forum God

July 2nd, 2008, 8:34 pm #20

Well, hopefully it will work with c++, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Good luck with 3.0 Dr.Best.

그대를 사랑해