Moderators: Despellanion, Dr. Best

Dr. Best
Forum God
Dr. Best
Forum God

April 25th, 2011, 10:07 am #21

DmitriV wrote:So, it would be so awesome to do something with U3D 3 in the next months..
No way.

I am working on it right now, but at the moment there is not much to see. Still building the new shader system.

Sothh
Forum God
Sothh
Forum God

April 25th, 2011, 1:34 pm #22

And if your programming using Game Maker you should start learning C++ or Python now. That way if and when U3D 3.0 is released in a few years, you might actualy be able to use it.

By the way, Dr. Best, could you give us someinsite on why you no longer wish to make a public release of U3D 3.0?
?You can?t outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.?

Major Korgo Korgar
?Last of The Lancers? - AFC 32
(Andromeda Ascendant Record Database)

Dr. Best
Forum God
Dr. Best
Forum God

April 25th, 2011, 1:42 pm #23

Sothh wrote:By the way, Dr. Best, could you give us someinsite on why you no longer wish to make a public release of U3D 3.0?
That "No way." referred mostly to a release in the next months. Generally a release is still possible, but currently none is planned. Do not wait for it. It may or may not happen, but this is old news. Nothing has changed there.

Sothh
Forum God
Sothh
Forum God

April 25th, 2011, 1:51 pm #24

Oh, okay.

When you said no released was planed somewhere, I thought you ment you where never going to release it. I understand it may be a few years before its done.

So basicly what your saying is dont wait around for U3D, get out there and play the field, learn a few languages and engines, and when it does finnaly come, IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.

So my previous advice still applies. If you want to use U3D when it does come out, then your going to have to dig deep and learn a "real" programming language.
?You can?t outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.?

Major Korgo Korgar
?Last of The Lancers? - AFC 32
(Andromeda Ascendant Record Database)

DmitriV
Advanced Member
DmitriV
Advanced Member

April 25th, 2011, 2:17 pm #25

Sothh wrote:So my previous advice still applies. If you want to use U3D when it does come out, then your going to have to dig deep and learn a "real" programming language.
Well, I would like to do something with Java or C++ soon...

I've worked a lot with PHP the last time, so I think I will leave that for a moment, because I'm not planning to do something big soon... It shouldn't be that hard to learn Java or C++, is it? I mean, they are both part of the C family, and the syntax isn't that different. Although I 've heard that the memory management has to be done in C++ by yourself, and WTF is that?!
Newbie in U3D...

Dr. Best
Forum God
Dr. Best
Forum God

April 25th, 2011, 2:41 pm #26

Learning C++ can take a lot of time. You get started relatively fast, but there is a lot to learn and you can continue learning new things for years. Java is significantly less complex. For this reason it makes it easier to get started, but harder to get complex projects done in good quality.

Doing memory management in C++ means mostly, that you have to call delete on memory pointers, if you do not need them anymore.

Learning a more serious language than GML is a good idea for sure.

DmitriV
Advanced Member
DmitriV
Advanced Member

April 25th, 2011, 3:43 pm #27

I've heard on the open days of the university (TU Delft) that first year informatica/computer science students will mainly learn Java and some other concepts of object oriented programming, and I'm planning to continue on this university after the middle school... and I've always liked to have a lead on others... :P

All the programming languages I've used so far, I 've learned by tutorials on the web. ;)
Newbie in U3D...

roflcopterz
Elite Member
roflcopterz
Elite Member

October 2nd, 2012, 6:14 pm #28

DmitriV wrote:I've heard on the open days of the university (TU Delft) that first year informatica/computer science students will mainly learn Java and some other concepts of object oriented programming, and I'm planning to continue on this university after the middle school... and I've always liked to have a lead on others... :P

All the programming languages I've used so far, I 've learned by tutorials on the web. ;)
You should take a look at Common Lisp. It teaches a lot of interesting computer science topics, even if it isn’t so much of a production language anymore.

EDIT: Woops, just realised this was a major necro-bump. Sorry =\
The three virtues of a programmer:
- Laziness
- Impatience
- Hubris

luenardi
Forum God
luenardi
Forum God

August 26th, 2018, 7:30 pm #29

Today you can still run gm8.1x and u3d under windows 10,

Performance is much better than i remember.

For your perception no.
But my universe has no such limits.

www.recall.co.nr