Sgt Louis DiGaetano - Pathfinder 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion

franklion
franklion

May 5th, 2018, 12:26 pm #1

My uncle, Sgt. Louis Digaetano, was a Pathfinder with the 326th Airborne Engineer Battalion and was wounded during the Battle of the Bulge on 1/1/1945 and susequently died of his wounds 5 days later. 

My late father, Frank Digaetano, documented his brother's Army career and found and visited the foxhole where he was wounded. I also believe it was he who erected a small statue in tribute to his brother and foxhole companion, Fernando Pena. Pvt. Pena was killed at the same time.  There as a discussion in  Trigger TIme in 2014 between PIerreG and  KlondikeFox about my uncle.

During one visit to the my father recovered two bullets and many small cylinders that  have small holes on one end. Can anyone identify what they are? 

Any more information about my uncle or the Pathfinders would be most welcomed. I also have a picture of my uncle  and his buddies with the plane they flew on and if anyone is interested I will post it so we can identify all of them. 20180505_131650.jpg 20180505_131803.jpg
Frank D

geronimo
geronimo

May 26th, 2018, 4:48 pm #2

Those small cylinders are compressed powder charges for artillery shells. I recovered some in a barn in Normandy. They burn pretty well.