eysbroek
eysbroek

May 15th, 2012, 3:51 pm #21

For sure Robin !

Boy

Davisdm2012
Davisdm2012

September 17th, 2016, 10:37 pm #22

Mr. Hoots was a family friend of mine since the late 80's. He passed just a few months ago. His fingers were actually not blown off by a grenade at all. He didn't talk about it very much at all but over the years the story came out. He was a POW. While a prisoner, he was tortured for information about the plans and whereabouts of the Americans.  Part of the torture was the cutting off of his fingers. Hey were cut as far back as the knuckle, then to he next one. He was fed sauerkraut and molded bread. He spoke very rarely of the time he was prisoner. I must say, working with him on his ranch over the years I learned that just because he only had three fingers total left, there was nothing he couldn't do. He will never be forgotten for his dedication and service to his country.

shannonmhoots
shannonmhoots

February 20th, 2018, 3:13 am #23

I want to start off by saying thank you all for remembering my Grandfather Hoots, I was thinking about him today and as i usually do this time of year and i stumbled across this forum, every one who has ever met him would tell you he was an amazing man despite everything that happened to him, from what i can remember from the countless stories growing up both are correct, the fingers on one hand were damaged during by throwing a granade back, and due to the injuries he was captured and while captured they tortured him for intel by cutting off the fingers of his good hand while they allowed maggots to feast on the one healing, depending on who he was telling the story to he would leave out one or the other side for the dramatic flair, he loved telling his war stories even the painful ones he always turned them into something funny to him, he always knew how to turn even the worst moment into something entertaining, i miss him alot, but i will never forget everything he taught me from hauling hay and working the farm to how to handle the world and its flaws, thanks again
Shannon Hoots