Does anyone recognize the castle in the background of this photo?

Corregidor
Corregidor

April 17th, 2018, 4:54 pm #1

Where is the castle in the background located?  

CastleSearch.PNG

I think this photo was taken in the Fall of 1944 or early 1945; it is of my wife's Grandfather, Lawrence Flinn, who was a U.S. soldier.  Thinking somewhere in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, Luxembourg, or Germany.  When he was killed in action in Germany on March 18, 1945 at the age of 35 he was a 

Staff Sergeant (serial number 34854733)
HQ Co.
2nd Battalion
101st Infantry Regiment
26th Infantry Division

My wife and I are planning a trip to Northeast France & Southern Germany to retrace the footsteps of both of our Grandfathers.  Although I am only a year older than my wife, my Grandfather was in WWI and hers was in WWII.  My Grandfather survived WWI (wounded and gassed on October 16, 1917 in Verdun at the age of 23 as a member of the 42nd Rainbow Division, 166th Infantry) and we have plenty of information from his diaries and books on the 42nd as to his whereabouts but for her Grandfather, who did not survive WWII, we have precious little information except what we read in the book: The History of the 26th Yankee Division, 1917-1919; 1941-1945  (published by Yankee Division Veterans Association, 2nd Edition, 1955.  260 pages).  My apologies that I am posting something not pertaining to the 101st Airborne but we thought we'd try all avenues and are impressed with the comments and articles posted in the Trigger Time website.   

GoodFood88
GoodFood88

April 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm #2

Corregidor wrote: Where is the castle in the background located?  

CastleSearch.PNG

I think this photo was taken in the Fall of 1944 or early 1945; it is of my wife's Grandfather, Lawrence Flinn, who was a U.S. soldier.  Thinking somewhere in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, Luxembourg, or Germany.  When he was killed in action in Germany on March 18, 1945 at the age of 35 he was a 

HQ Co.
2nd Battalion
101st Infantry Regiment
26th Infantry Division

My wife and I are planning a trip to Northeast France & Southern Germany to retrace the footsteps of both of our Grandfathers.  Although I am only a year older than my wife, my Grandfather was in WWI and hers was in WWII.  My Grandfather survived WWI (wounded and gassed on October 16, 1917 in Verdun at the age of 23 as a member of the 42nd Rainbow Division, 166th Infantry) and we have plenty of information from his diaries and books on the 42nd as to his whereabouts but for her Grandfather, who did not survive WWII, we have precious little information except what we read in the book: The History of the 26th Yankee Division, 1917-1919; 1941-1945  (published by Yankee Division Veterans Association, 2nd Edition, 1955.  260 pages).  My apologies that I am posting something not pertaining to the 101st Airborne but we thought we'd try all avenues and are impressed with the comments and articles posted in the Trigger Time website.   
It looks like on my screen like he is wearing a CIB, can anyone else see that more clearly? 

Corregidor
Corregidor

April 20th, 2018, 10:50 pm #3

GoodFood88 wrote:

CastleSearch.PNG

HQ Co.
2nd Battalion
101st Infantry Regiment
26th Infantry Division

It looks like on my screen like he is wearing a CIB, can anyone else see that more clearly? 
Yes — it is a CIB — I did find the castle, I think — it is Schloss Saarfels in Serrig, Germany. The photo was taken not long before he was KIA, based on his unit’s movements. He was awarded the Bronze Star on December 29, 1944 and again on March 18, 1945 (this time with Oak Leaf Clusters). 2 Purple Hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJSD3187
TJSD3187

April 21st, 2018, 10:01 am #4

Corregidor:
You can learn more about your grandfather's experience at the web page: https://history.army.mil/documents/ETO  This is the web page of the US Army Center for Military History. There you can find the 26th listed. At the end of the listing you will find the locations of Division Command Posts (CP). Unless his regiment was detached and attached to another unit (Detachmets and Attachments are also detailed here) he would be reasonably close to those CP locations.
You will see in the notes that the 26th came directly to Normandy with no stop in the UK. Valognes, their assembly point in Normandy (Manche is one of the Departments of Normandy) is close to Cherbourg so they may have disembarked there. The harbor at Cherbourg was still under repair and I don't believe it was ready to receive a deep draft ship. The ship probably stood offshore either at Cherbourg area or Utah Beach and troops were shuttled to shore by landing craft. After assembly at Valognes the 26th moved across Normandy and northeastern France to join Patton's Third Army in the Metz/Aachen region. This web page, combined with your 26th Association Volume will help you. It appears they were sent into the Battle of the Bulge about Dec 19th.
Since they probably help relieve the 101st at Bastogne you should consider yourself welcome here.
 TJS D Co/3rd Bn/187Reg/101st ABN

TJSD3187
TJSD3187

April 21st, 2018, 10:06 am #5

It is definitely a CIB.
As you may have read in my recent post the castle was definitely not in UK and most likely not in France as the 26th did not stop in UK and they more or less dashed across France to the Metz/Aachen battlefield. All supports your identification as Germany.

TJSD3187
TJSD3187

April 21st, 2018, 10:18 am #6

To all:
I am seeking info on the whereabouts of Lt Col. Nathaniel Hoskot who jumped with the 101st on D-Day 1944 and was captured late in that day. On the 7th he was in a POW convoy that was strafed by Allied planes about midday near Le Mesnil Vigot.
We know where he was up to 10 pm on the 5th (Welford) and we know where he was at midday on the 7th and thereafter. The 40 hour gap is a mystery. He recalled being held for a few hours in a German HQ in a chateau that may have been Etieneville, Bernaville, or Pretot, among others.
Thanks,
TJS

Corregidor
Corregidor

May 8th, 2018, 7:19 pm #7

Corregidor wrote:
GoodFood88 wrote:

CastleSearch.PNG

HQ Co.
2nd Battalion
101st Infantry Regiment
26th Infantry Division

Yes — it is a CIB — I did find the castle, I think — it is Schloss Saarfels in Serrig, Germany. The photo was taken not long before he was KIA, based on his unit’s movements.  He was awarded the Bronze Star on December 29, 1944 and again on March 18, 1945 (this time with Oak Leaf Clusters). 2 Purple Hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can anyone please post what this particular CIB would look like?  I have seen several different types on eBay, etc.   I would like to buy a high quality original.