D.P. Jones G/502

stimey
stimey

May 2nd, 2018, 5:25 am #1

TTF,
I am trying to secure some info on a fellow soldier my uncle SSgt.R.L. Coon served with in G/502. He can not surely recall DP's name,one of the very few, he always just called him DP?  Jones dug my uncle out of his foxhole in Holland after an artillery round hit very close to his hole. The blast nearly buried him and shattered the stock of his M-1.   He thinks his name was Danzley P. Jones. Is there a roster where this name appears? Or can someone point me in the right direction.  Thanks G.

bigkidlawarmy
bigkidlawarmy

May 3rd, 2018, 4:14 am #2

stimey wrote:TTF,
I am trying to secure some info on a fellow soldier my uncle SSgt.R.L. Coon served with in G/502. He can not surely recall DP's name,one of the very few, he always just called him DP?  Jones dug my uncle out of his foxhole in Holland after an artillery round hit very close to his hole. The blast nearly buried him and shattered the stock of his M-1.   He thinks his name was Danzley P. Jones. Is there a roster where this name appears? Or can someone point me in the right direction.  Thanks G.
The is a 502nd web site screamingducks.com. I have found a lot of information from the Dan F Pratt Memorial Museum at Fort Campbell (207) 798-4986. The Lt that was there 2 years ago was very helpful with getting me 506th information. If the 502nd has an association they may have rosters, copies of unit orders and morning reports. The 506th does which was my Dad’s WWII unit.
Good Luck
Linda Weston, Master Sergeant, USA, Retired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimey
stimey

May 3rd, 2018, 7:21 am #3

Thanks for the info.  Found out its Danzley Virgel Jones  ASN 39464786.  My Uncle says he got shit from 1Sgt. Drapeau for his rifles condition when he turned it in for a new one. He talked about  another time in Bastogne where Jones went to fire a rifle grenade but forgot to use a blank... it knocked Jones on his keister but miraculously was not injured  Jones was taken prisoner later on. Jones is interviewed in the book Commando 311/I by Claire Swedberg  Best G