D-Day - 441st Troop Carrier Manifests Needed

anim8tr
anim8tr

March 7th, 2018, 6:45 am #1

Where would I go to find out the names of soldiers on each C-47 during D-Day? I know there were lists for a few of the planes that were shot down, but I have yet to see this information for those planes that were not. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Ken Rich
Ken Rich

March 18th, 2018, 10:23 pm #2

anim8tr wrote: Where would I go to find out the names of soldiers on each C-47 during D-Day? I know there were lists for a few of the planes that were shot down, but I have yet to see this information for those planes that were not. Can anyone help? Thanks.
I am interested in finding a list for Mission Boston Serial 19, Airfield Spanhoe, Plane 43-15342 Nose UA tail G chalk 14

WWIIBuff
WWIIBuff

March 24th, 2018, 5:06 pm #3

Unless something has been discovered recently that I am not aware of, the D-Day manifests for the 101st Airborne were not saved.  Occasionally one will turn up because a veteran had saved it, but that is all.
John Klein

anim8tr
anim8tr

April 5th, 2018, 5:44 am #4

WWIIBuff wrote: Unless something has been discovered recently that I am not aware of, the D-Day manifests for the 101st Airborne were not saved.  Occasionally one will turn up because a veteran had saved it, but that is all.
Thanks... Must be true. I recently had a WW2 family historian check into this and they came up empty handed as well. Others have mentioned that if they were available, we would have seen these lists by now.

k1ypp
k1ypp

April 13th, 2018, 10:03 am #5

The manifests that were used are mostly missing. They were hand-written on a carbon-copy pad that had, perhaps, four to six copies. A copy went to the plane's crew, the jump master, to headquarters and so on. I'm convinced that there is a dark, dusty closet somewhere that has a file drawer full of these things and they will, one day, surface. 
I've spent years researching my dad's plane and think I have the list figured out, but it too could have errors. I was fortunate, my dad was on the plane that dumped the 82nd AB crew into the town square of Ste. Mere Eglise. That was featured in the book, and movie, The Longest Day. The author, Cornelius Ryan did extensive research on that incident and spent several days at our home gathering that information. Most of the aircraft manifests are a mystery. You can look at my website and see my list, if you wish: http://wheredaddroppedin.com/

anim8tr
anim8tr

April 13th, 2018, 6:43 pm #6

k1ypp wrote: The manifests that were used are mostly missing. They were hand-written on a carbon-copy pad that had, perhaps, four to six copies. A copy went to the plane's crew, the jump master, to headquarters and so on. I'm convinced that there is a dark, dusty closet somewhere that has a file drawer full of these things and they will, one day, surface. 
I've spent years researching my dad's plane and think I have the list figured out, but it too could have errors. I was fortunate, my dad was on the plane that dumped the 82nd AB crew into the town square of Ste. Mere Eglise. That was featured in the book, and movie, The Longest Day. The author, Cornelius Ryan did extensive research on that incident and spent several days at our home gathering that information. Most of the aircraft manifests are a mystery. You can look at my website and see my list, if you wish: http://wheredaddroppedin.com/
k1ypp, thanks for the insight. Nice website!

Ken Rich
Ken Rich

April 13th, 2018, 6:54 pm #7

k1ypp wrote: The manifests that were used are mostly missing. They were hand-written on a carbon-copy pad that had, perhaps, four to six copies. A copy went to the plane's crew, the jump master, to headquarters and so on. I'm convinced that there is a dark, dusty closet somewhere that has a file drawer full of these things and they will, one day, surface. 
Do you have anything on this plane ?
Sgt. Melvin Joseph Fryer 33001353
Mission Boston Serial 19 Airfield Spanhoe
Plane 43-15342 Nose UA tail G
Time drop 2h03 DZO Near Sainte-Mere Eglise
Unit 1BN / 505th PIR
HQ and HQ CO 505th PIR
307th AEB platoon
Chalk 14