BASTOGNE BIZORY PHOTO in error ( i think so )

PierreG
PierreG

January 9th, 2010, 12:33 pm #1

Some two or three years ago, Mark and his group spent quite a long time in the bizory area near bastogne

dutch attendees were desperetaly trying to find where a famous bastogne picture showing 101st ab wia's had been taken, and made an all out investigation in
the bizory chapel in the hope to find a connection.

i found an original copy of that picture in my collection and enlarged it to the uttermost... and it revealed some interesting things : just take a look

nothing peculiar up to this point, that's ok

BUT

Take a look at this one :

Here we are undoubtedly looking at a WIA member of the 101st artillery and I would say more : HQ Divarty

He etched either his initials or first name in his liner ; take your glasses : W.I.L. or WIL

This picture was never take in the Bizory chapel but gives good ground for further investigations on who this trooper was and where the pic was taken.

Hope to read you all soon.

Best,

Pierre
Your Signature ...

gjd52
gjd52

January 9th, 2010, 7:12 pm #2

Pierre,

I checked my 321st causality lists for the Bastogne campaign that come close to the letters on the liner, Lyle H. Wood SWA , January 15th 1945.
Another is William B. McEwen LWA on January 8, 1945. So depending on how you read the initials those are the ONLY 321st possibilites but other artillery units
are not in my records.

Drew Cook
Drew Cook

January 9th, 2010, 8:27 pm #3

Wow...you mean...there were 101st Airborne troopers at Bastogne that...had camouflage netting on their helmets?

But...that couldn't possibly be true, because...all
the guys I saw in "Band of Brothers" had baby-butt-smooth bare helmets at Bastogne!

KlondikeFox
KlondikeFox

January 10th, 2010, 4:28 am #4

More logically, the guy would have been from 907th, if the photo was made in the Bizory area.

The 907th was supporting the 501 there and also if there was a tic at 9 0'clock on that helmet,

it is not visible in that picture, due to the chinstrap hiding it.

Pierre-is there some other reason why you have ruled-out the Bizory Chapel as a possibility of

where this group was photographed?

Drew-you are correct about the helmet nets, but in my BoB critique I also mentioned that those small-

mesh nets were correct for the Market Garden period (and later), as over 90% of the guys in the division were

wearing them in Holland. I took a lot of criticism for even bringing that detail-up, because people

thought I was nitpicking about insignificant details.

Sorry, but I think details like that are rather important for getting the period 'look' right and I still

stand behind that assertion. Another example of how their brilliant tech advisors failed to measure-up.

Ed Peters
Ed Peters

January 10th, 2010, 7:11 am #5

I agree about the details Mark. The details are often what make something interesting or unique.And in my own case, searching for information about my father,
the details make all the difference. It took a lot of detail searching for you to figure exactly where he was killed. I met and spoke with Tom Young who was
next to my father when he died and he had no idea where it occurred. Ed

PierreG
PierreG

January 10th, 2010, 9:52 am #6

Might be wrong Mark, but it looks to me that the tick bar is well visible at 12 o'clock ... hence my theory that a WIA member of the Divarty was sure not
treated near the front line itself.... but who knows ?

Thanks for the input.

Just started another thread with a mistery Bastogne photo... have a look !
Your Signature ...

holly
holly

March 10th, 2018, 1:34 pm #7

This photo you are talking about, is there anyway to get a copy to look at?