Basildon Park

Jacques Wood1
Jacques Wood1

February 7th, 2012, 4:33 am #1

Hi all,
I am working on a project on the 101st Airborne in England.  Below is a photo of Basildon Park - home of the 81st AAAT and 326th Airborne Engineers during their time in Engand.  It is proving the most challenging of the various camps to find out anything about, well for anyhing 101st anyway!  I have managed to get some information about its other wartime uses - it was used as a POW camp at one point.  I have seen a few photos of a post Normnady memorial service on the lawn infront of the house.  If anyone has any help on the 101st time here, i'd be very interested to hear!

Thanks guys,
Matt 
Last edited by Jacques Wood1 on February 7th, 2012, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwheeler
dwheeler

February 8th, 2012, 4:53 am #2

Not sure if you have tried these people already but you may be best off getting in contact with the National Trust at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ The house was passed over to them in the 70's.

Hope this helps.

D

Jacques Wood1
Jacques Wood1

February 8th, 2012, 5:20 am #3

Thanks dwheeler, I have been in contact with them and they didn't have any other information other than confirming the units that had been there. There is infact a Screaming Eagle patch in the library, they said it could have been given to the house by Col Cox when he returned.

The search continues!

EagleJohnny
EagleJohnny

February 8th, 2012, 8:47 pm #4

Matt,

I can't give you any feedback on this place, but every time I see something about Airborne Engineers - this always comes to mind...I'm almost positive there was a thread about these a year or two ago here on the forum. I don't have a picture of the back, but it's pretty clear they were made in the UK.

Best Wishes,

John Horn

Palmyra, NJ

dwheeler
dwheeler

February 9th, 2012, 2:53 am #5

The only other thing I can suggest at this time is maybe trying to get in contact with a chap called Clive Williams (OBE). He seems to have written a book about the history of Basildon the village and has contributed to a web site (http://www.basildon-berks...ory/local_history.html). There is an e-mail address but not sure if it up to date: clive@clivewilliams.orangehome.co.uk

Hope this helps,

D

BENNING WING
BENNING WING

February 9th, 2012, 4:07 am #6

Jacques Wood1 wrote: Hi all,
I am working on a project on the 101st Airborne in England.  Below is a photo of Basildon Park - home of the 81st AAAT and 326th Airborne Engineers during their time in Engand.  It is proving the most challenging of the various camps to find out anything about, well for anyhing 101st anyway!  I have managed to get some information about its other wartime uses - it was used as a POW camp at one point.  I have seen a few photos of a post Normnady memorial service on the lawn infront of the house.  If anyone has any help on the 101st time here, i'd be very interested to hear!

Thanks guys,
Matt 

Scorpio58
Scorpio58

February 9th, 2012, 5:13 am #7

Good find Matt! Neat photo and the building looks like quite a place.....................good job. JohnnyF

dwheeler
dwheeler

February 9th, 2012, 5:18 am #8

Jacques Wood1
Jacques Wood1

February 9th, 2012, 5:19 am #9

Interesting set of Jump Wings John, very unique to say the least.

Thanks for the Clive Williams e-mail address dwheeler, I'll send him a message.

That is the photo I had seen Lee - not much has changed over the years, I used it for the then and now!

Matt

eysbroek
eysbroek

February 10th, 2012, 10:16 am #10

Thanks for Now picture you posted Matt ! Was waiting for that one

Will post the result soon ! I'm off to Normany sunday night !

Boy