JeanLoup
JeanLoup

August 15th, 2015, 9:23 am #11

A little up to this subject for the 71st anniversary of Operation Dragoon.

Scorpio58
Scorpio58

August 17th, 2015, 1:33 pm #12

I received my copy of this amazing book a couple of months ago. Chocked full of photos and maps and other GOOD STUFF it is some compendium of information. Frankly, I have been quite intimidated with all of the information and but for picking it up ( which is no easy task because of it size and weight! lol)  I have only leafed through a couple of times to view the many fabulous photos etc. etc. I thought I might have gotten some time to read it during this summer but its not looking good for a "summer read" given the close proximity of Sept!  I've been enjoying it so far and look forward to actually start READING it sooner rather than later. Glad I picked it up , both literally and figuratively!!! Johnny F  

JeanLoup
JeanLoup

December 5th, 2017, 2:09 pm #13

I have finaly gotten to making a good English version video about one of the stories detailed in my book, the discovery of a mass grave of German soldiers in the village of Villeneuve-Loubet, with several of the bodies later being identified. I have just put the video online and would be glad to hear any thoughts on it:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yseqYvqIqGY

Jean-Loup

JeanLoup
JeanLoup

January 24th, 2018, 5:03 am #14

I just found this very detailled review of my book online, with many photos of the book included:  http://www.amps-armor.org/SiteReviews/S ... =&p=1&s=-4

The conclusion of the reviewer:

Conclusion
This was a long slog, but worth every step -- I have been personally and professionally rewarded by the journey.
Pros:  The organization of the book is excellent as is the readability.  The writing is excellent, very fluid yet very economical.  The editing is excellent - I found 2 errors, "excepted" instead of "accepted" and "Chapter 3" instead of "Chapter 13", in over 500 pages - I mention these only to show the high quality.  It's a big book and no one appears to have cut any corners in the publication chain which made reading a pleasure not a chore. Quality-wise it is worth every penny.
Cons:  I raise two items more as suggestions, perhaps only for prospective readers, than negatives. As noted in my review, it's an area and action that not many are familiar with, even ignored or minimally addressed by some of the histories.  I certainly am "geographically challenged" about the area other than what I might see on the Tour de France broadcast every year.  The author provides the briefest of introductions to the "big picture" and that somewhat piece-meal.  There are maps in the end-covers and at some chapter/section headings but they are more artistic than useful.   Neither of these are show-stoppers.
Summary
At the end I went back to the Foreword and the Introduction and can only say that the author has done what he set out to do.  I was not at all familiar with this piece of DRAGOON, indeed References 1-3 barely mention it, but now I know much more.  More importantly, page after page, I began appreciating the "memory book" aspect of it.  As I looked at the photo and story selection, at some point the phrase, not the book/movie, "we were soldiers once and young" came to mind and to dominate my thoughts.
Highly Recommended if you have any interest in DRAGOON, airborne operations, a country under occupation, or in historical method and study.

KeynoteFiwi
KeynoteFiwi

February 12th, 2018, 5:44 am #15

JeanLoup, is there anything in the book referring to the 463rd Parachute Field Artillery too ?

JeanLoup
JeanLoup

February 12th, 2018, 11:33 pm #16

The 463rd is mentionned severals times and their casualties are listed, but I dont have any actual interviews with men from the unit. I tried several times to get in touch with men from the unit who could tell me more about the fighting in Cannes and the deaths of Ruell and Hay, without success.
In my experience, the men from the infantry units had much more stories to tell then the men from the artillery, because the artillery were most of the time in position a few kilometers back so were not in direct contact with the front lines.