326th ENGR 101st ABN DIV

jhueby
jhueby

March 11th, 2018, 5:39 pm #11

anim8tr wrote:
jhueby wrote:
anim8tr wrote: jhueby, what was his name? (or private message me if you prefer). I've got a complete list of all soldiers in the 326th on D-Day.

In regard to the FFA (NARA ?), I've also been told that the army records I was looking for were lost in a 1973 fire and are no longer available. BUT, a few researchers have told me that this is a common response and not always accurate. I plan on visiting the one in St. Louis in May to try to see if I can get more info. It took them about 9 months to respond this way to my original inquiry.
FFA: Federal Freedom of Information Act  sorry short hand
Keep trying. I finally received his discharge paper, and service record.  Both are copies with water damage and some charred edges

His name was Harry Naramore
Hmmm, I'm having a tough time locating him in my 326th records. Are you sure he was in the 326th? Do you know what Company?
That's the service record.  I'm Navy so its like a completely different world trying to figure out how the army works

anim8tr
anim8tr

March 11th, 2018, 9:10 pm #12

jhueby wrote: IMG_2303.JPG
Interesting. Possibly he was part of Company "A" or "B". He's not listed in Company "C". He most likely was on a glider or came over on the "Susan B. Anthony" on D-Day. There were many in the 326th that came over on the Susan B. Anthony. I can't locate his enlistment record, but did find him on the "Find A Grave" site at https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/286 ... o=12008210

schaduwfax
schaduwfax

March 12th, 2018, 4:23 am #13

Can you give me your email so I can send it
THX

jhueby
jhueby

March 12th, 2018, 8:37 am #14

anim8tr wrote:
jhueby wrote: IMG_2303.JPG
Interesting. Possibly he was part of Company "A" or "B". He's not listed in Company "C". He most likely was on a glider or came over on the "Susan B. Anthony" on D-Day. There were many in the 326th that came over on the Susan B. Anthony. I can't locate his enlistment record, but did find him on the "Find A Grave" site at https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/286 ... o=12008210
He kept his reserve parachute throughout the war and my sister was baptized in it which leads me to believe he jumped.  There's also a story that was passed down that when he jumped he got stuck in a tree and a local family helped him down.

This is what I have of his shadow box. I'm still waiting for the citations of his awards. The Army is reissuing them (took a lot of paperwork)

IMG_2332.JPG

anim8tr
anim8tr

March 12th, 2018, 10:11 am #15

I'm not much of an expert on medals, BUT a couple of them, (the wings and castle) are the same ones my Uncle had as a 326th AEB paratrooper. I'm sure you know this, but the wings designated a paratrooper, the castle designated an engineer. The silver pin is a 1st Lieutenant, so that's rather interesting and a bit baffling / telling.

The reason I say this is because I have the names of all the "C" company officers on D-Day, but your grandfather isn't listed in any of the info I have. The baffling part is that "C" company was the only parachute company in the 326th.... so I can't explain the parachute portion of your story. I wonder if he was in the 326th "A" or "B" companies during D-Day, but then was later promoted to 1st Lt in "C" company in time for Operation Market Garden in Sept of 1944 (?) I'll keep pondering...
Last edited by anim8tr on March 12th, 2018, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jhueby
jhueby

March 12th, 2018, 10:39 am #16

anim8tr wrote: I'm not much of an expert on medals, BUT a couple of them, (the wings and castle) are the same ones my Uncle had as a 326th AEB paratrooper. I'm sure you know this, but the wings designated a paratrooper, the castle designated an engineer. The silver pin is a 1st Lieutenant, so that's rather interesting and a bit baffling / telling.

The reason I say this is because I have the names of all the "C" company officers on D-Day, but your grandfather isn't listed in any of the info I have. The baffling part is that "C" company was the only parachute company in the 326th.... so I can't explain the parachute portion of your story. I wonder if he was in the 326th "A" or "B" companies during D-Day, but then was promoted to 1st Lt in "C" company before Bastogne (?) I'll keep pondering...
A bit odd

most of the ribbons are theater ribbons
I'm hoping the citations help straighten things out.

Is it possible he was attached to HQ?

anim8tr
anim8tr

March 12th, 2018, 11:10 am #17

jhueby wrote:
anim8tr wrote: I'm not much of an expert on medals, BUT a couple of them, (the wings and castle) are the same ones my Uncle had as a 326th AEB paratrooper. I'm sure you know this, but the wings designated a paratrooper, the castle designated an engineer. The silver pin is a 1st Lieutenant, so that's rather interesting and a bit baffling / telling.

The reason I say this is because I have the names of all the "C" company officers on D-Day, but your grandfather isn't listed in any of the info I have. The baffling part is that "C" company was the only parachute company in the 326th.... so I can't explain the parachute portion of your story. I wonder if he was in the 326th "A" or "B" companies during D-Day, but then was promoted to 1st Lt in "C" company before Bastogne (?) I'll keep pondering...
A bit odd

most of the ribbons are theater ribbons
I'm hoping the citations help straighten things out.

Is it possible he was attached to HQ?
The HQ Company of C/326th during D-Day was headed up by Captain Francis Liberatori and 1st Lt Harold Young. Liberatori was seriously wounded in the first few days of DDay and sent back home. 

I'm really leaning more toward the notion that your grandfather jumped into Holland with "C" Company. Most of the officers from "C" company on D-Day were killed, captured, went missing or seriously wounded (per a letter I have from Harold Young). The 326th needed to replace those roles in time for the Holland invasion, likely your Grandfather was one of those officers (?)

WWIIBuff
WWIIBuff

March 24th, 2018, 5:16 pm #18

The Pulles roster shows him as a member of Company C, and as a 1Lt.  Nothing more is shown.
John Klein

geronimo
geronimo

April 10th, 2018, 4:46 pm #19

Hi, Everyone.

Here's what I've found in my archives.

According to the war diary of the 326th AEB, 2nd Lt Naramore was attached to C Co in may 1944. His name still appear in C Co casuality's list as Slightly Injured in Action in december 1944.

He also shows up in a few C Co morning reports ( 21/07/44, 31/10/44, 30/12/44, 03/01/45, 05/01/45 and 17/03/45 )

anim8tr
anim8tr

April 11th, 2018, 7:42 am #20

geronimo wrote: Hi, Everyone.

Here's what I've found in my archives.

According to the war diary of the 326th AEB, 2nd Lt Naramore was attached to C Co in may 1944. His name still appear in C Co casuality's list as Slightly Injured in Action in december 1944.

He also shows up in a few C Co morning reports ( 21/07/44, 31/10/44, 30/12/44, 03/01/45, 05/01/45 and 17/03/45 )
Interesting, I've got a list of members of C/326th (leading up to D-Day) that I've compiled from various sources and Naramore has never shown up in the lists I've seen. geronimo, I'm wondering if you could describe what a "war diary" record is. Would it be possible to send me a copy of it? Thank you.