News, New Gadgets, Software, Online Links, Computer Problems

Using Google Chrome

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

July 5th, 2010, 10:54 pm #1

I downloaded Google Chrome last night.

Got tired of how long it was taking IE8 to download websites, crashing, etc.

I have Firefox, but have to admit that I just never was turned on by it. Lately, there have been some issues in the news about Firefox. It seems that as a browser, it too, has started to use a lot of memory and hard drive space.

Some of the problems I was having with IE8 was with pages downloading at an incredibly slow rate. I usually had to exit the page and click on it again to get it to load fast. I have broadband and I was feeling like I was back on dial up.

Another problem was that IE8 wouldn't scroll down the page until everything was completely loaded. Since it was taking so long to download a page this became very frustrating.

Also it was very easy to have too many open tabs on IE8 and it would then freeze. I would have to open Task Manager to end the non responsive programs. Haven't had that problem with Chrome at this point in time.

At the moment, I am really liking GC. It loads the pages soooo much faster. I was thinking that I had a bandwidth and/or old computer problems. All of my complaints seem to have dissolved using this browser. I realize I am still in the "honeymoon" phase of use and my opinion could change, but at the moment this change is making me a lot happier.

Love is all there ever was, ever is and ever will be.

You are loved.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

July 6th, 2010, 1:15 am #2

I think the reason Chrome works so fast its a bare bones browser, without all the add ons and features of the other two. Yes, i have heard of problems with a recent upgraded firefox.

I still haven't tried Chrome yet.
Don't think about all those things you fear. Just be glad to be here.

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

July 6th, 2010, 5:22 am #3

I put in a few plugins. There is a spell checker that checks as the text is being typed. It is really cool.

You are loved.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

July 6th, 2010, 5:28 am #4

Cody wrote:I put in a few plugins. There is a spell checker that checks as the text is being typed. It is really cool.
It has a spell checker! Cool!

How about an ad blocker. Does it have a plug in for it?

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

July 6th, 2010, 9:14 am #5

I didn't see one, could have missed it, but I have to do some research to see if there is one or something compatible

I found the ad block extension. It is blocking the ads on this site but will have to wait until tomorrow to see how good it is.

You are loved.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

July 6th, 2010, 9:28 am #6

Cody wrote:I didn't see one, could have missed it, but I have to do some research to see if there is one or something compatible

I found the ad block extension. It is blocking the ads on this site but will have to wait until tomorrow to see how good it is.
Let me know how you like it.

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

July 7th, 2010, 12:53 am #7

There is Adblock and Adthwart.

At the moment I have both installed. Adblock stopped the ads on this site, but Adthwart stops ads out on the net.

Pretty cool.

You are loved.

Lady Cathryn Collins
Board Deity

July 7th, 2010, 10:37 am #8

Sean_ wrote:I think the reason Chrome works so fast its a bare bones browser, without all the add ons and features of the other two. Yes, i have heard of problems with a recent upgraded firefox.

I still haven't tried Chrome yet.
I haven't gotten the newest upgrade, I didn't want that I didn't want nothing to do with that theme thing for the task bars on the top of my screen. I think that was not a real upgrade more an extra. I think. Back when I did upgrade to the 3.6 I had to have Cam help me get rid of that annoying tad bar feature. The tab thing should ONLY show up if you open a tab. you sure don't need it when you have the one window.

What had you heard about what new upgrade for Firefox?

New Collinsport Isle

"If we do not learn to live together.
We will have to learn to die together.." ~~ JFK Quote.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 18th, 2010, 9:51 am #9

I downloaded Chrome this afternoon and i have been using it all night. I just downloaded Adblock and Adthwart.

So far so good.

To answer your question Earthist it has all the privacy setting that IE and FF has, so you can block third party cookies.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 18th, 2010, 9:57 am #10

It hasn't got a "Home" button?!!!

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

August 18th, 2010, 4:53 pm #11

No it doesn't seem to.

As my son, Techkid said, it is a very 'light' program, doesn't use many computer resources, and that is the reason that he both really likes the program and is annoyed by it. A love hate relationship, to be sure for him at least. Still he uses it a lot on his personal computers.

I like it because all the computer problems I was having went away when I installed Chrome.

IE was crashing constantly, it froze, was slow in loading pages, wouldn't load at all, etc. I checked everything; my bandwidth from my ISP, my bandwidth on the wifi (117-130 MBPS) to registry errors, constantly running anti-spyware and anti-virus scans to no avail. I cleared space and defragged the harddrive, etc., and I still had (or so I thought) computer problems. I was convinced that I needed a new computer.

Chrome made it all go away.

Hubby told me that IE8 really wasn't all that compatible with Windows XP, it was built to work with VISTA and Windows 7 not XP. I suspect this is Microsoft's way of phasing out XP so they don't have to keep doing updates.

The problem, though, I have been told in buying and installing Windows 7 is that my hardware may not be compatible with it, I have a photoprinter that is several years old but works well. I have also been informed that any programs I may have purchased to use on this computer probably won't be compatible with Windows 7 and I will have to purchase them all over again.

So what are you gonna do? For me, for the time being anyway, I am keeping this computer and keeping XP and using Chrome.

So yes, some of the features on Chrome are different. Putting things in bookmarks, well you have to copy the page link you want bookmarked and put in the name of the page you want to bookmark yourself.

There are other differences, but for me, I have nothing but over all praise for the browser.

You are loved.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

August 18th, 2010, 8:17 pm #12

Sean_ wrote:It hasn't got a "Home" button?!!!
I'm still on IE, but am using a very barebones toolbar which I like & does not have a "home" button. Using a desktop icon (Ixquick) for my "launch pad"...or....homepage. Clean & simple is good, works for me.

RIP Zetaboards

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 18th, 2010, 10:00 pm #13

wrote:So yes, some of the features on Chrome are different. Putting things in bookmarks, well you have to copy the page link you want bookmarked and put in the name of the page you want to bookmark yourself.
It has a bookmarks star that works just like it does on FF. Maybe you don't have the bookmarks bar check marked? You just click on that star and then choose the folder you want to save it in.

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

August 18th, 2010, 11:03 pm #14

I'll have to look. I rename a lot of the sites anyway so I recognize them when I see them even though they are organized in folders.

You are loved.

circledancer
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 1:13 am #15

I tried Chrome but just could not get friendly with it.....My firefox is good enough, like a big old overstuffed chair....by no means perfect, but conforms to my needs

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 1:15 am #16

circledancer wrote:I tried Chrome but just could not get friendly with it.....My firefox is good enough, like a big old overstuffed chair....by no means perfect, but conforms to my needs
I'm liking it. I got the two ad blockers installed that Cody suggested.

It runs really fast. I suppose that's because its bare bones and not bogged down with all sorts of features.

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 3:22 am #17

I'm still using it.

I never could get comfortable with Firefox and now it is one of the heavier browsers out there.

I still use IE8 for a few things, but over all I just use Chrome.

Like Sean said, it is really fast.

You are loved.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 3:58 am #18

That's a problem with Firefox. It started as a really good, fast browser but with every upgrade and improvement its gotten heavier and more of a resource hog. I read that some people gave up on it after its latest big upgrade.

Now Chrome has to careful not to fall into the same behavior. Its a bare bones browser and they should keep it that way.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 4:09 am #19

Skookum wrote:
I'm still on IE, but am using a very barebones toolbar which I like & does not have a "home" button. Using a desktop icon (Ixquick) for my "launch pad"...or....homepage. Clean & simple is good, works for me.
Skooks i think you might like to try Chrome. Its a short and fast download and it pretty much sets itself up. It adds your IE bookmarks to itself without having to do anything. I will ask you if you want to make it your default browser but you just have to say no.

I think this is great for some one on dailup. Add those two ad blockers Cody suggested and it will make your browsing even faster.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 7:56 am #20

Sean_ wrote:
Skookum wrote:
Skooks i think you might like to try Chrome. Its a short and fast download and it pretty much sets itself up. It adds your IE bookmarks to itself without having to do anything. I will ask you if you want to make it your default browser but you just have to say no.

I think this is great for some one on dailup. Add those two ad blockers Cody suggested and it will make your browsing even faster.
I did install it tonite. When it started, it immediately opened up at my "homepage"....don't know how except that was my setting on IE, & I did import all that stuff.
One of the first things I did though was to totally screw up my bookmarks :waaaa: . So I've switched back to IE for now 'til I'm more in the right frame of mind to play around with the settings & things.
May be jumping the gun here, but looks like you may not have an option about which toolbar to use. ....... & I've been doing all that babbling on about toolbars.
RIP Zetaboards

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 7:02 pm #21

There is a setting to import things from other browsers on Chrome.

It seems there is only one toolbar on Chrome and when I tried to download the Google toolbar, I got a message saying that unfortunately Google toolbar doesn't work with Chrome. You would think their own toolbar would work with their browser.

I really just wanted the spell checker on the toolbar and Chrome spellchecks automatically as I type.

The most fascinating thing about Chrome is that if you get rid of your homepage and don't have any homepage, thumbprint type pictures of your most used websites come up and if you click on them, it goes to that site.

Mine shows II, C2C, Underground Weather and several more sites that I frequent I think six or eight in all.

I find it beats going to the same homepage over and over and if II was the homepage, it is still just one click away.

You are loved.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 8:37 pm #22

Cody wrote:I really just wanted the spell checker on the toolbar and Chrome spellchecks automatically as I type.
:arg: Hope I'll be able to kill that! I like to goof around wif words too much & hate the constant corrections...I know, you can override each one...but....'add wif to your list?'

If I really want to know how to correctly spell a word, I am totally in love with WordWeb that Earthist shared with us. It stays in the tray at the bottom of the screen, works on or offline, & for a quick spellcheck you just highlight a word, right-click 'copy', bring up WordWeb & your word is there.

THANKS AGAIN EARTHIST!!
RIP Zetaboards

Cody
Board Deity
Cody
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 9:08 pm #23

All it does is underline the word. You have to right click on the word in question to get any corrections.

You are loved.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 9:47 pm #24

Cody wrote:All it does is underline the word. You have to right click on the word in question to get any corrections.
Okay, then....much "friendlier" than some I've used ; the "opt-in" is good. Thanks!
RIP Zetaboards

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 19th, 2010, 10:37 pm #25

Skookum wrote:
Sean_ wrote:
Skookum wrote:

I did install it tonite. When it started, it immediately opened up at my "homepage"....don't know how except that was my setting on IE, & I did import all that stuff.
One of the first things I did though was to totally screw up my bookmarks :waaaa: . So I've switched back to IE for now 'til I'm more in the right frame of mind to play around with the settings & things.
May be jumping the gun here, but looks like you may not have an option about which toolbar to use. ....... & I've been doing all that babbling on about toolbars.
What it did was put them in alphabetical order? That's what it did with my bookmarks.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

August 20th, 2010, 4:02 am #26

Sean wrote:What it did was put them in alphabetical order? That's what it did with my bookmarks.
I'm thinking that fav. bar at the top (where the window markers are in IE) might be a handy thing......but it had all these really obscure ones showing that I hardly ever use. I know you can hide that bar, but I was trying to get something more useful up there....without knowing what I was doing....& ended up ditching a whole list. I may have to read a stinkin' tutorial.
RIP Zetaboards

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 20th, 2010, 4:40 am #27

Skookum wrote:
Sean wrote:What it did was put them in alphabetical order? That's what it did with my bookmarks.
I'm thinking that fav. bar at the top (where the window markers are in IE) might be a handy thing......but it had all these really obscure ones showing that I hardly ever use. I know you can hide that bar, but I was trying to get something more useful up there....without knowing what I was doing....& ended up ditching a whole list. I may have to read a stinkin' tutorial.
You mean on Chrome? You lost your bookmarks? There must be a way to re import them.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

August 20th, 2010, 7:12 am #28

Sean_ wrote:
Skookum wrote:
You mean on Chrome? You lost your bookmarks? There must be a way to re import them.
Yeah, not all, just a block of them; I need to do a little reading & learn more about it. If worse comes to worst I'll just have to uninstall Chrome, re-install & start from scratch; before I do that though, I need to get more familiar with how to organize it.
RIP Zetaboards

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

August 20th, 2010, 7:40 am #29

Skookum wrote:
Sean_ wrote:
Skookum wrote:
Yeah, not all, just a block of them; I need to do a little reading & learn more about it. If worse comes to worst I'll just have to uninstall Chrome, re-install & start from scratch; before I do that though, I need to get more familiar with how to organize it.
You can import your bookmarks to Chrome. I looked at it earlier.

Click on "Tools"', "Bookmark Manager", "Organize", "Import Bookmarks".

Now on my computer its "C", "Documents and Settings". "HP Administrator", "Favorites".

After Documents and Settings where your Favorites are may be different on your computer.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

October 1st, 2010, 10:30 pm #30

Ok i found how to get the "Home" button. "Tools" "Basics" and there a checkmark thingy to "Show Home Button On The Toolbar"

IE is being a pain again today.

By the way there's an IE9 coming out which won't be compatable with XP at all. Only Vista and Windows 7.

XP will become obsolete in the not too distant future.