Information: Go to the new place.

The Untold Truth Of ALDI

Share recipes, Cooking and Gardening Tips here.

The Untold Truth Of ALDI

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

March 2nd, 2018, 11:04 pm #1

In 2017, Aldi announced they were planning on becoming a major competitor in the US grocery store market, investing a mind-blowing $3.4 billion into current and future American endeavors.

If you don't have an Aldi near you now, one might be popping up soon. So, what can you expect? Here's the fascinating history behind this up-and-coming US chain…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfSFLyJqXfs

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

March 3rd, 2018, 12:51 am #2

ALDI is awesome. It's basically replaced Walmart and the local supermarket for us when it comes to food. Still get meat from a dedicated meat shop but for just about everything else it's ALDI. We got one in 2016.
Put your twinkie in my Nutella, it tastes good. Mallie from Darkness Radio

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

March 3rd, 2018, 12:56 am #3

Interesting, informative & surprising about Aldi-north & Aldi-south in the US & the surprise name of Aldi-south.

We don't have either in this area.
RIP Zetaboards

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

March 3rd, 2018, 2:59 pm #4

Good info. Thanks.
We finally did get Trader Joe's or two in Austin. Neither very convenient for me to use. There is now an ALDI in Hutto. That is about 70 miles from me. My friend in Hutto loves it. Haven't heard of one opening in Austin yet.

Thankfully H.E. B. (H.E. Butts) is still competitive, more and more they are coming out with their own products. They now provide a lot of organics and items without HFCS or other excitotoxin additives. Pricing is competitive with WalMart and warehouse stores, and their Central Market stores are competitive with Whole Foods, with a lot of the Central Market brand foods being carried in the HEB stores.

I am happy with my grocery choices so far, but my Hutto friend has WalMart, HEB and ALDI available to her. She is raving about ALDI, so they must be underpricing the other two. Or maybe it was opening specials?
My choice? All the way down the rabbit hole.

Kamalam
Advanced Member
Kamalam
Advanced Member

March 4th, 2018, 1:03 am #5

I hadn't heard of Aldi before, but I'm seeing some better options come into town. The main grocery store "big box" place might be considered Vons, but Food For Less opened and they are awesome. I didn't think I'd like them (I think they've been here 6 months or so and I never went inside) but the produce is amazingly fresh and everything is so much less expensive than either TJ's or Vons.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

March 4th, 2018, 1:24 am #6

RIP Zetaboards

Kamalam
Advanced Member
Kamalam
Advanced Member

March 5th, 2018, 12:07 am #7

Well, isn't that interesting? I had a feeling that TJ's was more expensive than I thought... when we came out of Food For Less, we carried far more bags for less money than just two bags of food at Trader's. That was a big flag. Plus the produce at TJ's always goes bad within just a few days which again tells me that items are being overpriced.

Now... that said, the customer service at TJ's is outstanding. The cashiers are friendly, fun, and know their store and products well. That's probably why we keep going back. But... I think for basics we will be making a switch.

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

March 5th, 2018, 4:42 am #8

Kamalam wrote:
Well, isn't that interesting? I had a feeling that TJ's was more expensive than I thought... when we came out of Food For Less, we carried far more bags for less money than just two bags of food at Trader's. That was a big flag. Plus the produce at TJ's always goes bad within just a few days which again tells me that items are being overpriced.

Now... that said, the customer service at TJ's is outstanding. The cashiers are friendly, fun, and know their store and products well. That's probably why we keep going back. But... I think for basics we will be making a switch.
I am trying to gear myself up to going to the Farmer's Market. We have several nearby that are open on the weekends. I just need to start going now that I can actually get out a bit more.
The reason I say this is because I have issues with produce going bad very quickly. I swear that a few years ago produce lasted longer. This was validated for me when I read an article explaining why frozen veggies are actually better than the fresh produce you find at most stores. This is because the produce gets shipped and hangs out here and there in various temperature environments enroute. By the time it gets to you, it has lost a lot of its nutritional oomph and is losing it more quickly as time passes. I am thinking that if I go to the Farmer's Market I will get some fresher produce.
Guess I should be happy I am not making the attempt to go to TJs, eh? I never go to Whole Foods anymore. I can't get out of there without dropping a wad, even adhering rigorously to my list. The Food for Less sounds
nice.
I'm thinking that for me the local HEB stores combined with Farmer's Market would be a good option.

Kamalam
Advanced Member
Kamalam
Advanced Member

March 5th, 2018, 6:03 pm #9

Navi, I would love to get more info on whether the produce lasts longer from a Farmer's Market or not. There are several around here but my observation is that things cost more there. Maybe it's just our area though... So far I've been pleased with the FFL produce but I would love to buy real fresh stuff when possible

Oh, and I've heard the same thing about frozen veggies! Shame it's come to that though. I generally don't like reheated veggies from frozen, but I will say that I found a grain/veggie mix with beans that I really loved. It was classified as "high protein" though I'm not sure I'd go that far. I combined that with some ground turkey and it was a super nice quick meal.

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

March 6th, 2018, 2:50 am #10

Kam, I was wondering about the Farmer's Market costing more. I know they give 2 for 1 for people using food stamps, or SNAP as it is called now. I realize I won't know for sure until I screw up the courage to venture out, but I am hoping it is just the designer foods that are most costly. the organic produce will probably cost more for sure. Since we have several markets around us on the weekends I guess I should go to one of the regular ones first. There is another that is really upscale as far as craft cheeses, designer foods, beer, mead, wines, body products, etc. You get the idea. They also have a petting zoo and live music at several open air cafes. Sounds like a wonderful experience, but I imagine it to be a tad on the $$$ side. I'm thinking the other markets will be in the $ to $$ range.

Kamalam
Advanced Member
Kamalam
Advanced Member

March 6th, 2018, 4:58 am #11

Navi wrote:Kam, I was wondering about the Farmer's Market costing more. I know they give 2 for 1 for people using food stamps, or SNAP as it is called now. I realize I won't know for sure until I screw up the courage to venture out, but I am hoping it is just the designer foods that are most costly. the organic produce will probably cost more for sure. Since we have several markets around us on the weekends I guess I should go to one of the regular ones first. There is another that is really upscale as far as craft cheeses, designer foods, beer, mead, wines, body products, etc. You get the idea. They also have a petting zoo and live music at several open air cafes. Sounds like a wonderful experience, but I imagine it to be a tad on the $$$ side. I'm thinking the other markets will be in the $ to $$ range.
Wow, talk about fancy! There's something like that (music, hipster items, craft beers) in downtown SLO on Thursday nights, but we never go. Too many Cal Poly students and pretty much no parking because all the open air parking lots have now become retail stores (they're trying hard to make SLO into a little Santa Barbara which sucks).

But I digress... I'm crossing fingers you find the kind of farmer's market that actually caters to real people on real budgets! At the very least, it gets you out of the house and amongst the living (which is what I tell myself lol).

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

March 6th, 2018, 6:28 am #12

Kamalam wrote:But I digress... I'm crossing fingers you find the kind of farmer's market that actually caters to real people on real budgets! At the very least, it gets you out of the house and amongst the living (which is what I tell myself lol).
Oh Kam, those upscale farmer's markets do cater to real people with real budgets. I just don't have that income level.
Yes! That is the attitude I will adopt, it will get me out of the house and among the living! Yes!

And I hope they have bathrooms that are easy to find in convenient locations. lol

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

March 17th, 2018, 5:56 pm #13

This Is Why Aldi’s Groceries Are So Cheap

Aldi avoids brand names:
At most supermarkets, you'll find tons of big-brand items, but at Aldi, a whopping 90 percent of the products are private label. By avoiding brand names, Aldi can skip going through another company and offer you cheaper prices.

They have a small selection, which means smaller stores:
Did you know that Aldi only offers a selection of 900 core products? Since they don’t have national brands, they have less to warehouse and display in the store. This means having smaller stores compared to most other grocery retailers, and in return, smaller rent prices!

They take less time restocking shelves:
Aldi's design was specifically made for minimal stocking and upkeep. Other stores may have beautiful displays, but employees have to constantly restock them. At Aldi, , making it much easier for employees to restock.

They use boxes, milk racks and pre-packaged produce:
Boxes aren’t the only way Aldi saves time (and money). Products such as milk and even produce help reduce the upkeep at an Aldi store. Milk already comes in racks, and produce is pre-packaged and ready for checkout.

They use energy-efficient lighting:
Aldi announced its initiative to save money by remodeling some of the stores. A modern design (and even using open ceilings) will bring natural lighting into the store, making it environmentally friendly, too. They’ll even use recycled materials, energy-saving refrigeration and LED lighting.

They have fewer workers:
Aldi will often schedule only two or three staff at a time. That's nothing compared to the number of employees you'll see at other markets. With the way Aldi is designed, not as many workers are needed to stock the shelves or keep things in order. This also allows the store to pay those few employees a decent paycheck.

Aldi customers bring their own bags:
Aldi doesn’t bother buying as many plastic bags as other stores, thanks to their bag policy. If you end up using an Aldi plastic bag, you’ll have to pay for it. This is to encourage customers to bring their own bags—keeping the store a green environment and putting money back into customer pockets.

They don’t have TV ads:
Have you ever seen a Walmart or Target ad on TV? Yes. Aldi? Not ever, actually. That’s because Aldi saves the money to do what they do best—bring you cheap prices.

They have a smart shopping-cart rental system:
No need to have someone working the shopping carts all the time with a system like Aldi’s! In order to use a cart, you must put a coin in the cart to unlock it. This gives people an incentive to return the cart and get their money back. Didn't know about that? Well, here they are next time.

They're about consumers, not profits:
Unlike most supermarkets, Aldi doesn’t charge suppliers for shelf space and keeps their terms simple. , Aldi claims it wants “to suck the profitability out of the [supermarket] industry in favour of the consumer.” Every decision the company makes always has the customer in mind, and it pays off.

LINK
RIP Zetaboards