Pro Wrestling.

Sports you do, Sports you enjoy watching, Sports News

Moderator: Americanronin

Pro Wrestling.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 3rd, 2014, 6:13 am #1

I figured this is the place for it. And just like the header said, anything you want to talk about as far as pro wrasslin goes!

I'll start with some thoughts on tonight's TNA Impact Wrestling.

Kurt Freakin Angle vs Bobby The It Factor Rhoode.

I think this is the best ongoing feud in wrestling today. Despite all his personal demons with drinking as of late and his age Angle still really is what they call him , a cyborg. And Rhoode might be the best heel in the business. Both guys bring a lot of intensity and make it seem honestly personal. Tonight they set up a steel cage match for Genisis in two weeks((free pfv on tv can't beat that with a stick)). If Angle loses he leaves TNA AND can never accept being inducted in the TNA hall of fame...

Considering Kurt has said in interviews he wants to retire in 2015 I see him losing this and coming back to the WWE for one last run before he does, he also listed several current WWE guys he'd like to face before he retires. With Hogan and Eric Bishoff, and now Jeff Hardy and AJ Styles leaving the company it also seems like TNA is unloading a lot of older guys with big contracts to put more money toward their younger and TNA original talent coming in as well, Kurt might be the next on the chopping block for that reason as well considering behind possibly Sting he's probably the highest paid remaining guy on the roster.

On the other end of the spectrum....

Since the Aces and Eights where forced to disband(( a good thing it got voted worst gimmick of 13 and I agree, it went on way too long and was booked horribly)) Bully Ray, at one point possibly in the top 3 heels in the business has turned into a watered down poor man's emo Twilight vampire hoodie wearing version of the Undertaker.

Bully did the street wise and real world tough guy well, he does the dark and broody evil guy horribly.

Tonight he kicked Joseph Parks in the balls for an auto dq and doused him with lighter fluid, threatening to light him on fire . Ken Anderson tried to make the save only to get doused and threatened with a Bic Lighter as well to hold him at bay. It was all a tease to the old ECW days, and I'm not saying I want or someone should get set on fire but this was just done poorly even for a tease. It's a Bic, blow it out and kick his ass guys...

Gail Kim issued her first open challenge of 14 and Madison Rayne answered and pinned her for the second week in a row, getting a title shot probably at Genisis as well. It was a pretty good match but a booking boo-boo! The open challenge is supposedly to any woman wrestler not currently on contract with TNA, Madison is and has been...

Austin Aries lost to Chris Sabin for the X division belt after winning it from him last week. Sabin played up the terrible boyfriend heel by threatening to leave Velvet Sky if he left without the belt. He also used her as a distraction to get the heel win. It's shaping up to be a good feud but honestly I consider Aries to be the real best in the world , sorry Punk. He should be in the World Heavy Weight championship picture not the X Division.

Angle tagged with Gunner vs Rhoode and Storm in a Beer Money reunion at least for the night and it was a short honestly brutally bad match meant to set up the starting feud between Storm and Gunner , recently tag partners as Sinner and Saint than anything.

They focused quite a bit on their younger talent, debuting Samuel Shaw He squashed Duey Barns, the modern day Barry Horiwitz with a nasty choke hold finisher. He has a very Dexter like or American Psycho gimmick, wearing a shirt and gloves almost identical to Dexter's and has a stalker thing going on with Christi Hemmi .

The other new guy, EC3 or Ethan Carter the Third is another WWE Nxt release by the name of Derrick Bateman . His current gimmick is the spoiled entitled nephew of company owner Dixie Carter.

Tonight he called out Jeff Hardy who left TNA last week, only to get tricked into accepting a match with Sting at Genisis.

Both of these new guys have a good look and are supposedly able to go in the ring. Time will tell but they need to get out of the squash matches ASAP and show it . And honestly five years ago a program or feud with Sting could make a young guy but Sting is so limited in the ring these days he wrestles under a shirt and the Stinger Splash has turned into the Stinger Lean Too....I don't even want to see the long anticipated Sting vs Taker at a Mania anymore.

The show ended with the new Heavy Weight Champion Magnus being crowned in the ring with Dixie, EC3 and Rock Star Spud in the ring. Gunner interrupted and teased a cash in of his title shot but got beaten down by the heels. And then AJ Styles showed up, and eventually challenged Magnus to a champion vs champion match next week.

Magnus defied Dixie, making him seem more like a tweener than true heel , and the show went off with the two facing off with their individual belts held high.

Down side to this, due to the nature of TNA taping shows in the Impact Zone weeks in advance and the internet, we already know they didn't resign AJ and he's leaving for ROH and Japan after next week. He has sworn this is not an angle or work and for now at least he is done with TNA but no bridges where burnt, he might return some time down the road.

All I can say is this is a horrible decession on the part of TNA. AJ has been there for seven or eight of their 11years as a company, and I'd compare him to Sting in WCW or HBK or Taker in the 80s as the face of the company. Couple it with the rumors that the Bad Influence tag team of Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian are taking indy bookings and it's dark times for TNA. These two are one of the best tag teams around today, among the best individual peformers, entertaining and a major loss as well.

On the other hand, AJ could be the biggest and best thing to happen to ROH in a long time.

I will say this for Magnus, as the first British heavy weight champion of a major American Wrestling company in 108 years, he's the hottest thing TNA has going for them right now. Only with the company for five years it showed a lot of confidence in him to put the strap on him this early . He has the look and in ring ability, still needs some work on the stick and I think he works better as a face or tweener than full blown heel because of that .

Gunner is another young TNA home grown talent also in the title picture, but he still needs MAJOR work on his mic skills and to me is only average in the ring as of now but he's improving as he goes.

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

January 3rd, 2014, 7:41 pm #2

Thanks for the thread and post AR!

I've been a pro-rasslin' fan for the better part of the last half century, following the AWA (American Wrestling Association) in the '60s and '70s, and continuing with the WWF and NWA/WCW in the '80s and '90s.

While I still keep up with current goings on, my major interest is in the old-school days... and in that regard the upcoming Monday Night RAW will be a special treat. Can you say, "WOO!!!" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzZ5xzVWS0

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 3rd, 2014, 11:26 pm #3

The Whether Man wrote:Thanks for the thread and post AR!

I've been a pro-rasslin' fan for the better part of the last half century, following the AWA (American Wrestling Association) in the '60s and '70s, and continuing with the WWF and NWA/WCW in the '80s and '90s.

While I still keep up with current goings on, my major interest is in the old-school days... and in that regard the upcoming Monday Night RAW will be a special treat. Can you say, "WOO!!!" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzZ5xzVWS0
I got the 12 disk Raw Anniversary set for Christmas, it's pretty sweet to watch the old stuff, especially with Macho Man and the Legion of Doom.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 4th, 2014, 4:11 am #4

WWE Friday Smackdown
The show kicks off with a Raw Recap of Daniel Bryan joining the Wyatt Family. Cole and JBL on commentary, Cole announces tag title math between they Wyatts and Codey Rhodes and Gold Dust.
1-The Shield come to the ring throug the crowd and deny any chinks in thier armor or weak links among them before the Usos come out. Dean Ambrose goes to join the commentary while Reigns and Rollins face them in a tag match.The good news is, these four always put on a 4-5 star match.The bad news is, these four ALWAYS ARE putting on a 4-5 star match, every week, almost every show.It eventually ends with the Usos on the verge of victory when Dean gets involved and the DQ win for the USos instead. A three on two beat down comences until Super Punk comes down all alone and clears the ring for the save as the Shield retreats through the crowd.
2-Apparently all night we are going to hear WWE Superstar's New Years resolutions. Prime Time Players are up first , it's about what you expect to hear,
"this is my/our year do so much yadda yadda yadda"
That's the last one I'll bother to repeat unless someone does something diffrent or special.
Out comes Vicki Gurrero.Man this woman and Chavo Gurrero have ridden Eddie Gurrero's name and legacy for all it's worth forever now...
She announces the six man tag for later tonight, Shield vs Usos and Punk. Nobody saw that coming .....
3-Up next is Fandango with Summer Ray vs R Truth with Xavier Woods . Woods goes to commentary.
The match is the decent , especially Truth who is at least knocking on 40's door if not inside it , but honestly this is one guy's gimmick that as run it's course and the other's has never really taken off. Xavier calls out the Funkadacytles to dance on the stage while he dances on the announce table with JBL's cowboy hat on. It works as a distraction and helps Truth pick up a quick win.
4-We get a backstage interview from Renee Young with Curtis Axel. More on this in My Thoughts.
5-The Rhodes Brothers vs Eric Harper and Luk Rowan of the Wyatt Family for the WWE Tag Titles
The Wyatts start the match with an empty rocking chair at ring side, Bray Wyatt and Daniel Bryant/Wyatt nowhere to be seen. Cole informs us that DB's fiancee Bri Bella has been in contact with him and knows he is ok but that's all. It's a good match mostly due to hard work by Codey and Gold Dust. After the Wyatts work Codey over a good bit, Dust gets a blind tag for a roll up win, pretty good match, lackluster ending.
6-We get a recap of Tribute to the Troops, then a teaser for a recap of Bryan and the Wyatts from Raw, before a teaser for the return of Batista on the 20th....

7-We get a diva match with Nikki Bella vs Askana. Askana beat her on Raw, possibly building her up for a run at AJ Lee's Diva Championship? Short match and Nikki gets the win anyway, nothing special.
8 Big E Langston vs Curtis Axel((non Intercontential Championship title match)
It's a short but decent match, even if Big E had at least 80 % of the offense. He gets the win with the Big Ending. Not the most impressive showing for either guy but they get tv time so I guess it's good for them.
9-We get a recap of Brock Lesnar's return and destruction of Mark Henry on Raw, followed up by a promo for Monday's Old School Raw by Heyman.
After that is another Bad News Barret segment .....
10-And now for the Main Event, six man tag match. Shield vs Punk and Usos.
Another great match. I can't emphasis enough the in ring chemistry the Usos and Reigns and Rollins have with each other . Punk and Ambrose are both great in thier own but better suited to longer one on one matches. Usos and Punk get the win again when the Shield get in each other's way building the tension and possible split up.
The show ends with a Bray Wyatt promo bragging about getting Daniel Bryant to join him,(( See My Thoughts on both Daniel and the Wyatts ))

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 4th, 2014, 4:12 am #5

My Thoughts
1-Dean Ambrose is golden on commentary, his mic skills are years beyond his in ring experience, hell they're years beyond the mic skills of some guys that have been on tv two to three years longer than him. He talks about defending his US title at house shows on six continents and more countries than he can count, but unfortuantly it's never on tv or even a pfv. I think the last time was in October vs Big E Langston?
1A-Punk is getting as bad as Cena with these Super Hero like antics, saving the day against over whelming odds ...

3-Xavier Woods might be a solid middle card contender but I can't see him ever getting past that , his finisher The Honor Roll is a rolling splash of sorts, nothing super special n after listening to him try and build his feud with Brodus Clay tonight on commentary he's nothing super special on the mic either, at least not yet..
3A-Fandango was red hot after defeated Jericho at Mania last year but he's done nothing but tread water since. What little of Summer Rey I've seen in ring action , she's got potential but still needs a lot of work. Not sure I've ever heard her work the mic for herself except for one short spot on Nxt and she needs work there too.

5- First off, this is classic VInce Mcman mood swing . For ten years he didn't care at all about tag wrestling , now it's almost as important as the World Title, and everybody and his brother is in a team. Ryback and Axel are perfect examples, so are Rey Mysterio and Big Show and R Truth and Xavier Woods. I think they should spread this time out with the IC and especially US title divisons, and spotlight some more of these guys as singles stars. Sure, some of the greatest stars started out as tag guys but enough is enough.

5A-Dust looks better now than ten years ago , he deserves the Come Back of the Year award he got . Codey comes in off a hot tag at one point and shows he can be a top single's highflyer in the future. If rumors are true and we see them in a brother vs brother feud and match at Mania with Dusty Rhodes thier father as special ref it would be epic .
5B-On the other hand, Eric Rowan and Luke Carper do nothing for me as a tag team or singles wrestlers so far, all they have is size and the Hills Have Eyes Mutant look going. I predict they'll be off tv and possibly out of the company by Summer Slam, possibly taking Bray with them as well, this gimmick would have been great in the Attitude Era but the PG era just hamstrings it .
5C-Putting DB with the Wyatts is a terrible move in my humble opinion, the kid is as over with the crowds as anyone on the current roster, and the pops he was getting where near or on par with Rock or Stone Cold in thier prime...It's just an example of Vince and HHH's ego, they've both spoken on how the like the bigger super heavy weight guys over the smaller more talented guys like DB or CM Punk, look over ability, and this current angle is just a way to get DB futher from the World Title picture now that Broc Lesnar and Batista are back for Mania season.
6A- Tribute to the Troops is one thing the WWE should be really proud of. They also offer free tickets to service members here in the states for live house shows, maybe even Raw and Smackdown I think. Cudos also to the WWE for all the charity work they do with Make a Wish and the Susan B Cancer Foundation. I may not be the president of the John Cena fan club by any means but he's to be commended for his part in these things.
7- Man the diva divsion has fallen on hard times. It's pretty much one great in ring talent and mediocre to below average mic worker in Natalia Niehart,and one decent ring talent and great mic/character worker in AJ Lee.
The rest, not to sound sexist are subpar ring talent and mediocre at best on the mic, the Bellas especially are over rated and in my opinion only where they are for who they're involved with in real life.(( John Cena and Daniel Bryant)
Askana has the exotic foriegner thing going for her, but she's still reall rough in the ring even with recent improvement . Layla is out sick or hurt right now, and being British and three times the talent both in ring and on the mic woud be the better choice for the Euro-Diva be it face or heel in my opinion. I know her mother died young of breast cancer and I hope it isn't genetic and the cause of her absence now, get better soon Layla!
Summer Rey and a couple of the girls in Nxt are supposedly going to save women's wrestling when they get called up. Whenever that is, I'll believe it when I see it personally considering that Eve Mari , the Funkadacytles and Jojo where all Nxt diva products. If we want women's wrestling , TNA's Knockout Division trumps anything the WWE has to offer by miles.
I sometimes wonder again at the risk of sounding sexist if women's wrestling hasn't outlived itself . I was at a live event a couple years ago the diva match didn't last five minutes, and seriously probably close to half the crowd hit the restroom or concession stand during it. The kids would be just as happy I think if they went back to using valets to have a female presance in wrestling, they don't seem to care about women wrestlers with actual in ring talent, and the older generation seems to really not care one way or the other , I'm not sure the over all female wrestling fan base is that strong anymore?

8A- Big E is another example of Vince and HHH's love of the super heavyweights(( Like Shemus with HHH being a real life gym buddy of John Cena can't hurt either)).
In his case it might be deserved, he has a lot of explosive power and energy for a power house type, while his mic skills are mediocre right now they're improving as he hangs around. Will he ever be a technical wizard or put on the Match of the Year any time soon? I seriously doubt it but I can see him in World Title Matches within the year.
8B-On the other side of the ring is Curtis Axel, son of Curt Henning. While he isn't the most charismatic guy on the roster and honestly terrible on the mic he is one of the best technical and catch as catch can guys in the locker room, just like his father and grand father. Unfortuantly, even with Paul Heyman to do his talking for him he couldn't get over as a heel IC champ and for now he is stuck in lower mid card ville with Ryback in a tag team. Unless he can shave and get a good run going as a baby face he'll stay there unless they let him go like they did Ted Diabiase Jr. and Ricky Steamboat Jr.
9A- I don't mind Broc returing and working a part time schedlule, same with Batista but the World Title Picture should be for full time guys, put guys like this in mid card or secondary main event story lines.They're taking up time on the weekly shows and the pay for views that they apear on that the WWE should be starting to use to build thier current and younger mid card guys up in my opinion.
9B-It doesn't matter the subject or topic of one of these Bad News Barret segments (( it's New Year Resolutions )) this gimmick is horrible. Wade Barrett could be a great talent for WWE, he has the size and look for either a face or heel, a good back groud in bare knuckle fighting while in England before he came to America and wrestling, he's probably one of if not the most under appriciated and used in ring talents they have, able to give a good 10+ minute match with almost anyone, and above average on the mic compared to most of the current and up and coming talent. ......And because of some negative comments against Cena over a year ago he's being punished.
10- A three way match between split members of the Shield for Ambrose's US belt would steal the show in my opinion.
Of the three I think Rollins is the most in ring talented and under appriciated. His main event match with Cena last week on Smackdown was pay for view quality. His slightly child like high pitched voice hurts him on the mic, but his actual speaking skills are only slightly less than Ambrose's
Ambrose is by far the best on the mic and a close second in the ring behind Rollins, but for some reason especialy since he got the US belt he spends more time talking than in the ring wrestling, even though matches like the one with Punk a couple weeks ago showed how good he really is .
Reigns to be honest to me is the most over rated, he has the usual limited move set most big guys do, although he has more speed and agility than most to make it look better but so far he's really shown a Spear and Superman Punch mixed with a few basic clothes lines , punches and kicks. Fortuantly for him he has the total package of the monster face look with the Somoan build, long hair and dark tan, and he brings intensity on the mic and between the ropes, I agree with the scuttlebutt that he'll be the fastest rising star out of the bunch, ((and being The Rock's Cousin don't hurt ))!

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 5th, 2014, 2:33 am #6

Oh and Weatherman, whenever you read this if you like the old AWA and WCW stuff you'd probably like ROH wrestling!

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 7th, 2014, 4:37 am #7

WWE "Old School" RAW

1-It kicks off with Ric Flair doing his classic act in the ring. Randy Orton comes down and asks the authority to revese thier decession and not give Cena the rematch at the Rumble. He claims he beat Cena and there for is the man, this of course doesn't set well with Ric Flair . Orton claims Flair always had someone watching his back, while he doesn't . He threatens what might happen if Ric doesn't get out of his ring, Ric doesn't back down an inch of course.It gets heated, and down comes Cena to the rescue.Cena wants to fight but Orton backs down.
2-We get a video recap o Daniel Bryan becoming Daniel Wyatt
3-The first match is a six man tag team between the Usos and Rey Mysterio Jr vs Daniel Wyatt, Eric Harper and Luke Rowan. DB is wearing a gray shirtless shirt trouser /work ovehalls thing and Rey tries to talk him out of what he's doing but it doesn't work.
4- We're gonna get a rematch of Damien Sandow vs Kahli with a special refferee since the one last week blew Kahli's foot being on the rope. We can vote on the APP for Sgt Slauhter, Bob Baklaund or Arn Anderson. Kane confronts Brad Maddox about his comments on him not doing his job last week.

5- Big E is on the way to the ring, on the way he passes Nikola Volkov , Ted Dibiase Sr and IRS there for the Old School doing thier classic gimmicks.
It's BIG E vs Curtis Angel with Ryback on commentary.Ryback attempts to distract Big E but it doesn't work, E gets the win with the Big Ending.Seems like the match was meant more to bild het between Ryback and Big E than anything to do with poor Curtis.
6-Piper's Pit with the Shield. This was mic gold with Piper , Ambrose and Rollins. Piper pushed the buttons on the Shield about cracks forming, asking if Reigns beats Punk is he better than the other two, and are they holding him back. Just when it looks like Piper is gonna get hurt , Punk and the New Age Outlaws((Road Dogg and Bad Ass Billy Gunn)) make the save.
7-A video flash back of Brock Lesnar taking out Mark Henry,Brock is here tonight too.
8- But first we get Sin Cara vs Alberto Del Rio again, I guess they remembered the feud started when Sin Cara beat him twice a month ago? Or not, considering Del Rio wins quick and goes on to cut a Rumble promo. Not sure, maybe Sin Cara will be the one to eliminate him? Or maybe since he bashed Batista it's leading up to something between the two, can't see it through...
When we come back we get a Wyatt Family promo, next week Daniel and Bray himself will be tag team partners.
9-Up next is Real Americans vs The Rhodes Brothers , non title . Great , fairly long match and the Rhodes get another win. On one hand it makes the champs look strong for a change, on the other it continues to burry The Real Americans ...
10- A segment with DDP and Booker T backstage doing DDP Yoga, Ron Simmons says it all with "DAMN"
11-The Great Kahli vs Sandow with Sgt Slaughter as the special ref. I hoped Arn Anderson would win myself but everybody knows these app polls are rigged. Kahli has his old manager Rahj Sighn with him, he looks like a creepy hobbitt...this week Ambrose's foot is on the ropes instead of Kahli's and Ref Slaughter misses it just like the regular ref last week. When Sandow complains he ends up in the Cobra Clutch and Sarge dances in the ring with Kahli.
12- Out comes Brock Lesnar with Paul Heyman. After a long promo by Paul , Mark Henry comes out again, and Brock breaks his arm this time with the Chiemara Lock. When Brock goes to leave Big Show comes out, eventually Show tosses Brock out of the ring.
13-Diva tag match, Bella Twins vs Alicia Fox and Askana. Alicia and Askana get the win in a horrible match.
14-Tool Cool and Rikishi vs 3MB. This was the Old School match for the night, and honestly not a bad tag match. Brian Christopher looks so much like his dad now it's scary, Rikishi wrestled fully clothed, no wrestling gear .Rikishi got the pin on Gindar Mahal by setting on him when he attempted a roll up.
15- The Legends have a roll call on the stage , including the God Father at the last minute, and Bad News Barret cuts a promo.
16- Mean Gene comes out and cuts a pretty funny promo about his old 1 900 wrestling news hotline before he announces the New Age Outlaws. They do thier old school DX bit, complete with ASS and SUCK IT in a PG show , color me shocked. then they bring Punk out for the main event.
Main Event-Punk vs Roman Reigns.
It was a solid match, Reigns still needs work in single's competition though. The Outlaws and Shield mixed it up on the outside and Reigns got the win in the ring. After the match was the highlight of the night, when Jake the Snake Roberts came out and did the snake kiss and let the boa crawl on Ambrose!!

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 10th, 2014, 5:07 am #8

Impact Wrestling tonight ....

1-Dixi Carter calls out AJ Styles to sign a contract for the title vs title match. She announces the contract is for one night, one match and that the match is no Dq. She goes on to wish all kinds of bad things on AJ.

AJ comes back with what will happen if he wins .AJ claims he is ok with the No DQ cause he has friends in the back watching his back. Dixi goes on a rant about how she gave him everything he has for 11 years and , bashes his wife and kids, claims she owns the locker room and noone will help him. She will break AJ tonight, he claims she won't and goes on his own rant about what wrestling and respect for the belt is all about. Magnus' music hits and he comes out as well.
Magnus tells Dixi to leave the ring , it'd all between him and AJ, and that AJ has called him a paper champion for the last time, AJ's time is up. Magnus says AJ ran away and wants back in because he isn't getting any attention since he left TNA, and that while AJ had a good run all good things come to an end because he will end AJ's run tonight, because Magnus is the one real man and champ.
Magnus leaves the ring and AJ talks about how he didn't take shortcuts, but spent 11 years of blood sweat and tears and no matter what happens he'll leave with pride dignity and respect, then what wll Dixi do? He suggests Mangus take his lips off Dixi's ass and ask her. We go to the first commercial break.

1- It went just a tad long for a two hour show, but it might have been the best promo anyone involved has ever cut . AJ is notorius for being terrible on the mic, and he really made this match seen important to him. Dixi is slowly getting better as a heel owner on the mic and Magnus is improving by leaps and bounds as well.

2- We see a promo for the next live free ppv Genisis next week, something will change TNA forever it claims.

3-Back stage Dixi and Knockout champion Gail Kim and her sidekick Lady Tappa discuss something.

Eric YOung and Joheph Parks come out for thier match with Bro-Men while Dixi discusses a plan with Bro-Man themselves, then Zimma Ion announces them for the tag match.

In the middle of the match we see Gail Kim and Taipa beating ODB down so Eric Young runs out of the match to help her, his wrestling "wife" .

The Bro Men, Man, whatever beat up poor Joseph Parks in the ring for a bit before they get the pin. Afer the match they take apart a section of guardrail and hit a sort of Doomsday Device on(( I think they call it the BroDown or Bro Beatdown or something like that)) Parks on the rail in the ring.

Meanwhile yet again back stage Samoa Joe confronts Dixi and claims to be one of the guys who has AJ's back. Dixi threatens to break Joe, putting him in a match with EC3 ....

2- They tried to do way too much in one segment here, three back stage segments during the course of a single match? I get they're building up the heels vs the faces for later tonight but space it out a bit for the love of everything shiney and sparkly! Might as well not even had the match at all if the camera was going to be backstage half of it or better in my opinion.

3- When we come back from the break we see the medical staff taking Parks away, while Eric Young carries an "unconsious " ODB out to take her to the hospital away, meeting Sting in the door as he enteres.

3- Can't help but laugh and be impressed by Eric Young at the same time here, carrying a woman litterally a foot taller and probably close to fifty lbs heavier than him out the door in his arms .

4- James Storm calls out Gunner to discuss the recent trouble between them. Storm talks about his tag team history,Gunner tells him to keep it he has the title shot briefcase, Storm challanges Gunner to one more match for the case, (( I think it'll be some kind of no DQ/street fight or something since Storm made a big deal of both of them liking fights and not liking refs getting in the way, it isn't announced officially yet but probably at the free ppfv next week ...

5- As we go to break we see EC3(( Eric Carter the 3rd)) beating Samoa Joe down in the back. When we come back EC3 and Joe have beaten each other down to the ring area and the match starts . The match is decent while it lasts, until Joe sets EC3 up for the muscle buster in the corner, only to be distracted by Rock Star Spud on the outside . Joe gives chase and EC3 hits him from behind on the ring , when the match gets thrown out as a no contest Ec3 and Spud attack Joe's knee with a pipe wrench.

5- A bright red, hillariously obviously rubber pipe wrench. Worse than the Aces and Eights rubber ball pen hammer when they used it . Nothing metal and painted is that glossy red!

More seriously, it was a good match to begin with an I suspect a rematch some time soon, at the Genisis free live ppfv next week or soon after .

6- Kurt Angle cuts a promo on his steel cage open challange match tonight and his steel cage match with Bobby Rhoode at Genisis next week, with his career on the line then. Calls it the biggest match of his life and claims no matter who he faces in the cage tonight he will be seeing Rhoode .

6- Kurt still has it, in a minute promo he was more intense than other guys in five to ten. He's staring to look like he's back in better shape again too. Makes me think even more he's getting ready for a retirment run in WWE soon.

7- Back from the break we see AJ in the back thinking about the big match. Sting finds Storm and Gunner laid out in the back with whiskey bottles shattered over thier heads. Sting confronts Dixi and she puts him in a match tonight as well...

7-How long is it until we have Sting hanging out in the rafters again? He's way to old to be playing the hero/calvary/savior of the company face at this point in his career.

8- We cut to break as the steel cage lowers and Angle waits to see who opens his open challange. When we come back Bobby Rhoode is out it looks like to answer the challange a week early but he cuts a promo instead, teasing the crowd and Kurt about getting in the cage with Kurt tonight. He announces both of Bad Influence (( Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian))as Kurt's opponents tonight in his place.

It's a good solid match making everyone involved look good. Spot of the week goes to Angle suplexing Kaz off the cage just above the top rope over his back onto Christopher Daniels behind them in the ring. Angle gets the Angle slam on Kazz for the win to defeat them both without having to escape the cage.

8- Like I said before, Kurt still has it unlike a lot of the guys who get the "you still got it " chants. And even though they lost Bad Influence still got enough offense and spots in to look good, why they're not the tag champs instead of Bro Men,Man whatever is beyond me. Could be a "that a boy" to the Bro Men for sticking with TNA through thick thin and horrible gimmicks or maybe they just work for peanuts?

9- After the match before break, we see Dixi in her office screaming at someone to leave the cage down, and when Bobby Rhoode comes in she makes a cage match with him vs Sting for tonight. We go to Kurt taking picture with fans when Al Snow comes in to tell him there's been an emergency and he has to get to the airport. Al has Kurt's bags packed and in the car, Kurt hops in still in his wrestling gear and Al speeds him away from the arena..

10- More of the ongoing "getting rid of AJ's backup" but I gotta admit the mental picture of Kurt rushing through an airport in his ring gear all sweaty and with his gold medals around his neck or on a plane like that is HILLARIOUS.

11- We go to the Sting vs Rhoode inpromptu cage match. If the match was ten minutes at the very most, Rhoode carried 7 total of it on offense and rest holds while Sting corpsed, only to make the classic comeback, he hits a couple of the really horrible splases in the corners before going for the Scorpion Deathlock. Before Rhoode taps out EC3 and Rock Star Spud come to ring side, and while EC3 distracts Sting and the ref on one side by climbing the cage, Spud tosses an expandable wand or baton or whatever it is supposed to be, looks like a laser pointer in an office room presantation to me, and Rhoode clobbers Sting while the ref deals with EC3. Rhoode leaves out the door for the win.

11- What I said above, Rhoode did his best but at this point Sting really, really needs to retire or assume some sort of permanent non in ring role. Rumor has it his contract is up in a few month and he will retire .

12- We get an "Earlier today "segment with Ken Anderson apparently looking for Bully Ray at a funeral home....and then a recap of the comedy act from last week when Bully threatened to burn him and Parks. Bully really is setting on the back pew , doing nothing at the funeral home. He holds Anderson back with the threat of a lighter and fluid again and cuts another Taker wanna be emo promo It all leads up to him saying that while Genisis means the begining it will be the end for Anderson! Bully tells Ken to look in the coffin where he finds what I guess is supposed to be baby clothes of Ken's young daughters? When Ken turns around BULLY BOOGEY MAN IS POOFED!

12- I can't express how bad this entire angle has been since Ken took down Bully and Aces and Eights. Both guys are good on the mic and thier match next week will be good I expect,(( I THINK it's best of 3 falls)) but this is just so lame not even they can make it work....Anderson looked like he was dying trying not to burst in laughter and who can blame him? Not me, all this was missing was Scooby Doo and the Gang...

13- Sting confronts Dixi again and she threatens his contract coming up, I guess the rumors are true? Taz and Mike Tenay build up the main event while a video package of what led up to it plays.
14- The Main Event!!

Let me try real hard to get all this straight...

First as soon as the match starts Magnus takes a breather when he supposedly tweaks his knee, and Rock Star Spud and EC3 hit the ring to attack AJ. AJ holds his own until Sting runs down to make the save.

No sooner than he clears the two of them, Bro Man, Men, whatever and Zimma Ion hit the ring and start working AJ over, then Sting makes another save.

Next it's Bad Influence to help Magnus work AJ over hard , at this point it's eight on two and the ref Earl Hebner refuses to count Mangus pinning AJ. He leaves the ring and Dixie brings his son Brian Ebner down, while Super Sting and AJ fight the world.

But that still isn't enough as Sting manages to get everyone out of the ring and AJ gets his Calf Killer submission on Mangus. When Brian Ebner goes to count Bad Influene hit him and toss him out of the ring while the heels work over Sting and AJ, but they manage to turn it around one more time.

AJ hits the Styles Clash on Magnus with no ref to count, Earl tries to return to the match but Bad Influence pull him out before he can count 3, and dixie brings down yet a third ref.

AJ climbs to the top to hit something but Bobby Rhoode comes down and pushes him off then hits a couple moves and his finisher to serve him up for Magnus who hits ihs own finisher and the ref counts three, Magnus wins and AJ is gone....

14-I'm conflicted, as stupid as that main event was AJ made it look absolutely great, if he had to go then that was one hell of a final curtian call taking on eight guys before he got taken down. Of cours we already knew that in Sting vs the world Sting would win.

On the other hand you made every heel on the roster look terrible including your world champ when they needed eight guys and three refs to get past AJ and a fifty five year old Sting without his ball bat....

One thing I did notice, litterally the only two guys who have been recently active on the shows and didn't pick a side or play a part in the main event where Aries and Sabin. I wonder if next week or the next we'll get an in story explanation for one or both?

My closing thoughts that the Genesis ppv next week is the begining of a new year, and with so many story lines wrapping up we should get some new ones.

I expect the Gunner/Storm feud to be one that lasts for a couple more months at least. I think it would be best for Storm to win Gunner's briefcase to face Magnus right now, as Storm is due a real title run and Gunner isn't quite ready yet.

Rumors continue to fly for the last month since his leaving was announced that TNA and AJ are still in talks and he could return at some point, and speaking of rumors, where there's smoke there's fire. A few things to think about...

Rumors of TNA going out of buisness and or being up for sell for around a year now. Yeah I know, the rumors have come up before but they seem more persistent this time.

Jeff Jarrett has left TNA in the last month and rumored to have some kind of annoucement some time soon, also rumored that country music super star Tobey Keith and former WWE announcer Good OLE JR might be involved, as JR also had a dinner meeting with Keith.

AJ's leaving and supposedly going back to ROH , and the indy circuit, just before the Jarrett/Keith/Ross wrestling project rumors all started.

I think something is up, perhaps either Keith buying TNA with Jarret and or Ross, or with Jarrest and or Ross on board in creative /booking and or announcing some how. I could also see it being the buying of ROH and making it the new #2 in TNA's place, or the three just starting fresh with a new company and possibly brining AJ in as thier champ.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 11th, 2014, 3:19 am #9

Smack Down tonight.
1- The Usos vs Luke Harper and Eric Rowan of the Wyatt Family. Good match that goes to a double count out. The Usos barely escape a beat down outside the ring to get jumped on the ramp by Bray Wyatt and Daniel Bryatt.

1- The Usos are one of the best tag teams in wrestling now, or in the past five years at least, maybe longer. They can have a 3 star good match to a five star match with almost anyone and they carried this one.

Other end of the spectrum in my opinion , you find Harper and Rowan, the most generic mediocre "big men" tag team I may have ever seen. I still say these two will be off the main roster and quite possibly out of the company totally by Summerslam at the latest.

2-Randy Orton complains about being in a match to Vicki Gurrero , promises to give the Authority a good talking to come Monday.

3- We get a replay of the fight between BIg Show and Brock on Raw, before Miz TV with Big Show to ask why. Show claims he has never liked Brock and challanges him to a fight . Out come Paul Heyman. Heyman teases the fight, but it'll at the Rumble.

3- Anyone remember how slow and boring the first feud and matches between these two where? One good moment when Brock slammed Show off the top rope and the ring imploded around them. How is it gonna be any better or top that ten years later? The only reason I've heard is to make Brock look like a legit contender for the title, which he already does just fine, and if they wanted to have him in a match at the Rumble one with Mark Henry, Big E or even Ryback would have done the same thing and been something new ....

4-Ryback, Curtis Axel and the Real Americans vs Rey Mysterio , Sin Cara, and Los Matodres in eight man tag . To be fair the match was fast paced and exciting but...

4- I remember a time when Ryback would have beaten three out of four of the other team on his own in a squash handicap match. Or Caesaro would have beaten anyone but Rey in under five minutes.WWE is getting carried away with tag matches, the tag divsion is great but now every show has some kind of six or eight man tag just to see how any mid carders they can get in the ring at one time, these throw away mathces do nothing for anyone in them.

5- Randy Orton vs Big E Langston. Great match, Orton played the cold caculating and cowardly heel against Big E's unstopable power house face to perfection and Big E really turned it up for a match with the champ. Back and forth, Orton got the win with a thumb to the eye and RKO.

5- Despite really bad ring music and attire Big E is getting over despite it all, and enjoying a decent push for now as the IC champ. I hope they keep it up and have him defend the belt against good competition , instead of taking the strap off him and turning him heel when he gets too over like DB. He might be the best or second best young big man in the buisness right now, between him and Magnus over in TNA.
6- Fandango is out with Summer Rey to face Xavier Woods with R Truth and the Funcadactyles. Truth goes to commentary. It's a fast match, and Xavier gets a surprise reversal on a roll up for the win, Summer gets in his face , the Dactyles take her down, Fandango jumps Xavier after the bell, Truth makes the save.
6- This feud has potential between Woods who apparently they're really big on right now, and Fandangoo the guy they used to be really big on who's still a good in ring talent. I didn't understand half of what R Truth said on commentary but it was ammusing between him , Cole and JBL. Expect a tag between these two and Fandangoo and Brotus Clay some time soon, Monday probably or at the Rumble maybe.
7-The Usos cut a promo about thier match with Bray Wyatt and Daniel Bryant on Monday. I can't be sure which of them was doing the majority of the talking but he was pretty intense, a good talker .
8- The Shield is out next to set up the Main Event, Reigns is on the mic first talking about Monday night.He claims to be the new best in the world after beating Punk. Ambrose has a melt down about having Jake put the snake on him Monday and Rollins bashes the New Age Outlaws. The Outlaws come out and Punk is last.
Punk starts things out with Ambrose, then Rollins . The faces, mostly Punk dominate early up to the break, back from the break the heels take over, back and forth before Reigns spears Road Dogg for the win. Decent match for what it was.

8-The Outlaws come out an blow the roof off the place, but they cut to commerical before they can do thier classic bit. Stupid , stupid , stupid....if you're gonna have legends on the show at least use them to full effect and let them do thier thing. Although I have to admit it's getting a little old seeing the old timers and part timers take up main event spots on shows and ppfvs instead of building up the current full time roster like the WWE needs to. As much as I love the Outlaws both where really limited in the ring at thier age now.

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

January 11th, 2014, 9:37 pm #10

30 Years Ago Today - Monday Night RAW is Born

1993 - The premiere edition of WWF Monday Night RAW came live from the Manhattan Center in New York City, New York. Vince McMahon, Randy Savage and Don Imus radio sidekick Rob Bartlett were on commentary, with Sean Mooney reporting from outside on West 34th Street. Segments throughout the show featured Bobby Heenan, who had been replaced with Bartlett, trying to get in the building. Heenan posed as Bartlett's aunt, and as his uncle, both times being busted by Mooney. Heenan was finally let in at the end of the show.

Results from the show:
- Yokozuna pinned Koko B. Ware with the Banzai Drop.
- The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott Steiner) defeated The Executioners, when Rick got the pin after their double-team top-rope bulldog.
- Vince McMahon interviewed Razor Ramon about his upcoming WWF Title match with Bret Hart at the Royal Rumble.
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels pinned Max Moon after a back suplex to retain the title. During the match, Rob Bartlett and Vince McMahon did a skit where Bartlett played Mike Tyson calling in from prison watching the show. A funny moment was when Bartlett, as Tyson, said that Don King was trying to get his sentence reduced from six years to 72 months.
- The Undertaker pinned Damien Demento with the Tombstone piledriver.
- The show ended with a rundown of next week's card, and Vince McMahon interviewing Doink the Clown, who was warned by Crush not to make the children in the crowd cry. Doink shot Crush with a watergun, and was chased around the ring by Crush to close the show.

Prior to Raw going on the air, Bob Backlund defeated Damien Damento while Cheetah (Ted Pety, who was working under a mask as the Cheetah Kid on the independents) defeated Johnny Rotten (Mike Durham). Cheetah and Rotten would begin teaming as The Public Enemy in ECW before the end of the year.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/82766/ ... n.html?p=1

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 12th, 2014, 4:16 am #11

The Whether Man wrote:30 Years Ago Today - Monday Night RAW is Born

1993 - The premiere edition of WWF Monday Night RAW came live from the Manhattan Center in New York City, New York. Vince McMahon, Randy Savage and Don Imus radio sidekick Rob Bartlett were on commentary, with Sean Mooney reporting from outside on West 34th Street. Segments throughout the show featured Bobby Heenan, who had been replaced with Bartlett, trying to get in the building. Heenan posed as Bartlett's aunt, and as his uncle, both times being busted by Mooney. Heenan was finally let in at the end of the show.

Results from the show:
- Yokozuna pinned Koko B. Ware with the Banzai Drop.
- The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott Steiner) defeated The Executioners, when Rick got the pin after their double-team top-rope bulldog.
- Vince McMahon interviewed Razor Ramon about his upcoming WWF Title match with Bret Hart at the Royal Rumble.
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels pinned Max Moon after a back suplex to retain the title. During the match, Rob Bartlett and Vince McMahon did a skit where Bartlett played Mike Tyson calling in from prison watching the show. A funny moment was when Bartlett, as Tyson, said that Don King was trying to get his sentence reduced from six years to 72 months.
- The Undertaker pinned Damien Demento with the Tombstone piledriver.
- The show ended with a rundown of next week's card, and Vince McMahon interviewing Doink the Clown, who was warned by Crush not to make the children in the crowd cry. Doink shot Crush with a watergun, and was chased around the ring by Crush to close the show.

Prior to Raw going on the air, Bob Backlund defeated Damien Damento while Cheetah (Ted Pety, who was working under a mask as the Cheetah Kid on the independents) defeated Johnny Rotten (Mike Durham). Cheetah and Rotten would begin teaming as The Public Enemy in ECW before the end of the year.

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/82766/ ... n.html?p=1
Cool post, Weather Man!

I recently got the 12 disk Best of Raw dvd collection for Christmas, it's a lot of fun to watch the old stuff but sad when you think about how many of these guys who ain't with us anymore ....

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 12th, 2014, 4:16 am #12

Since polls and lists are so popular ....
Talents TNA or the new wrestling company of Jarrett's should try to sign!
1- Dolph Ziggler The WWE has really dropped the ball with this guy, he might be just a tad on the small side height wise but other than that he has the look and perfect attitude and ring style to be the All American Hero of a company with his show off gimmick. He reminds me of RVD in his Mr. Monday Night or Whole Fucin Show days. Actually, I always thought Van Dam was a tad over rated even in his prime, so I guess that makes Ziggler as good as RVD and all his fans THOUGHT he was . Amazing in ring talent, and possibly the best move seller in the business .
2-Edwards and or Davey Richards
Recently blown off by HHH as being too small? Either one by himself would be a great foundation guy to build on, or together they make a great tag team. And, being ROH guys it isn't like they're used to making insane amounts of money so they might be there for the getting individually or combined fairly cheap.
3- Chris Hero- Released from Nxt this guy was supposedly better than anyone in the Shield and now he's out there.
4- CM PUNK. With rumors of him not being happy with how he's used and his WWE contract ending soon, this would be a HUGE steal for TNA or another company.
5-AJ Styles, supposedly he left the door open at TNA , if they don't get him back he has a huge fan following and support that would help a new company. Not as young as he used to be but still considered widely as one of if not the best current generation wrestlers and among the best of all time.
6- Wade Barrett - From being the leader of both Nexus, the New Nexus, the Core to feuding with both Cena and Orton for the WWE and WHC belts to now a comedy act going nowhere with them. This guy should have been a top heel by now and the highest he's ever climbed is the IC belt . He's shown he can have great matches with almost anyone of any size or style and he's way above average on the mic, even in this current horrible Bad News Barrett act they have him in .

7- Casesaro- Swagger's partner in the WWE right now, but he was Chris Hero's in RHO, called Kings of Wrestling I believe . He was great as a single US champ in WWE recently, he could be the top heel in any company .6- Drew Mcyntyre . I don't know how long he has left on a WWE contract but TNA let him slip through their fingers a few years ago when he was on the rocks with Vince and company, he could have been a huge grab for them and still could be for them or another company if the chance comes up again.

8- Kevin Steen from ROH, he doesn't have the classic look you want in a wrestler, but he's one of the best heels around , and if I was gonna have any kind of hard core division or matches at all, behind Foley this is the guy I would build it around.
9- Bobby Rhoode of TNA , possibly the best heel in the business today ,if a new company forms he should be high on their radar . From the current feud I think he's getting the official Kurt Angle seal of Approval before he leaves TNA and that says a lot .
10- Drew Mcyntre- A young guy with a lot of potential, especially in the ring, he'd need a manager to do his talking. The WWE seems to be still punishing him for the domestic violence incident with his at the time girl friend Tyran Terell years ago. Compared to some of the stuff other guys have gotten on thier record he isn't all that bad, if I recall she blacked his eye anyway....
This list could be a lot longer, if I was running the new company I'd be after 3/4 of the ROH , and Nxt rosters honestly. And I'm sure there's other great guys I don't even know about in places and companies like CZW and AAA . Anybody got any other suggestions?

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 12th, 2014, 4:47 am #13

Two late breaking rumors tonight.

The first being another rumor that May Young has passed. She's been in poor health for some time and it was falsely reported she had passed earlier in the week when she was taken off life support at her home where she's under professional care . Now it's coming up again. Best wishes for May and her family and friends.
Either way it turns out, the woman led an amazing life and career .

On a less serious but interesting note, WWE mid card super star Ryback had a tweet that said "Just released thank you" but then deleted it .

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 13th, 2014, 6:08 am #14

ROH tonight.

Gotta admitt, first time in a good while I've gotten to watch so I'm a little out of the loop myself as far as current feuds and storylines go in ROH. let's see what they got for us these days!

We start off with a video recap of the ending of the main event at the last ppfv . Heel champion Adam Cole retained in a three way match with faces Jay Briscoe and Mike Elgan, with help from a returning Matt Hardy. After the match, Chris Hero returned . At the begining of the night's show we get a mention of AJ Styles returning in 3 weeks.

1-The first match is the first round of the Top Prospect tournament between Ray Rowes and Kongo.
The Top Prospect Tournament every year in ROH takes eight indy wrestlers and gives them a chance to win a ROH contract if I recall correctly.
Ray Rowes, a generic big man with a very Wyattish look , big beard plus shaved head and tattoos . Kongo is a fatter, much whiter version of Umanga or Kamala the Butcher. It was a short match especially by ROH standards, no real stand out spots and neither guy showed me much. Rowes won when he rolled off from under Kongo when he went for a second rope splash in the corner, then hit his own finisher a full nelson slam down onto a rising knee to the back of the head, fairly creative finisher. After the match Mike Elgan came to the ring and hit a Elgan Bomb on the 350 lber , his finisher is a dead lift into an over the shoulder flap jack like side walk slam.
1- I like Elgan beacause of the many impressive feats of strength and smash mouth power house style he wrestlers, but to be honest and objective he's nothing super special outside the strength game. Mediocre in look and mic skills, he needs a little something extra.

2- Elgan cuts a promo talking about it not being over between him and Adam Cole when Chris Hero comes out. He warns Elgan that after they team together against Cole and Hardy in Pittsburg it's every man for himself, then Kevin Steen comes out. He points out that he never got his rematch when he lost the title . They set up the main event for tonight , Steen vs Hero.
2- In my opinion, ROH is taking some steps in the wrong direction and this was a perfect example, a promo that went on way to long especially with one slightly above average mic worker(( Steen)) and two below average to bad mic workers . ROH should stick to focusing on the in ring talent more than story lines or gimmicks in my opinion.

3-Next match, another Top Prospect match between The Benchmark Bill Dailey who has a rich cocky heel gimmick , he withdraws from the tournament . This sets up the new match between the members of the indy tag team Alabama Atittude Mike Posey and Corey HollIS . It looks like Posey is playing the heel by challanging his partner for this match after Dailey withdrew , while Hollis seems to be playing the naive babyface. Hollis wins after kicking out a top rope leg drop by Posey then hitting him with a spinning back elbow.
Both guys where decent but again, nothing outstanding. It was longer than the first match and they sold the "tag partners on the verge of splitting up" story well.

4- We get another video recap of C&C Wrestling Factory losing thier title shot against Red Dragon and deciding to split up. In a twist they actually decided to split the team up and went thier seperate ways on good terms instead of the usual tag team split up by turning on one another .

5-Jay Lethal vs Caprice Coleman, Lethal is something of a tweener these days, while for now Caprce is still a full blown face as a single's wrestler . Coleman really showed he has it to make it in the single's path. Among the moves he hit was a triple roll through Northern Lights Suplex, a tope rope split leg drop, and a modified Book End . Lethal won with the Lethal Injection , an off the ropes spring board stone cold stunner like manuver. He congradulated Coleman then accepted Tampka's challange as the champion asked him to face him again for the telivision belt because it was in a match with Lethal when Tampka got a injury that put him out a year.

Jay Lethal is one of the most under appriciated wrestlers around in my opinion, his size hurts him but he's as good as anyone in the ring and on the mic. His homage to Randy Savage gimmick in TNA was the only comedy gimmick I've ever appriciated and enjoyed really in recent memory.
6- A promo by the Brisco Brothers for Jay's upcoming rematch with Mike Taven , personally I think the Brisco's might be the most over rated wrestlers I've ever seen. They shine in brawls and hardcore and gimmck mathes but are mediocre in regular matches due to in my opininmediocre ability. As far as mic kl they're foul mouthed toothless redneck Stone Cold wanna e rp offs, without any of the charisma Austin brought to the gimmick. It makes me want to kick a baby duckling everytime someone compares them to the Legion of Doom/Road Warriors just because they use the Doomsday Device as a tag team finisher.

7-The Main Event.
Kevin Steen vs Chris Hero. The crowd started the "This is Awesome " chant as soon as both men where in the ring. It started out a slow technical catch as catch can with Hero getting the clear advantage while Steen subtley played a border line heel role by constantly using the ropes to break holds . It picks up with more fast paced and hard hitting moves, Steen getting the advantage and then back and forth. Alternating "Let's go Hero" and "Let's go Steen " chants fom the crowd throughout .
Steen hits his version of the F-5 and Swanton Bomb for 2 counts, Hero counters for a 2 count with Golden Elbow and Savat Kick combo, but BJ Whitmere ,Steen hits the Sleeper Power Bomb for the win. Whitmere and Jaccobs attack Hero after the match while someone(( they shouted a name but I couldn't catch it jumped Steen with some kind of rope or chain from the crowd and choked him out as the show ended.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 16th, 2014, 9:39 pm #15

RIP MAY YOUNG.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 17th, 2014, 4:09 am #16

TNA- Part 1((part two is next week))
The show starts out with a classy nod to the life and times of Mae Young.

It goes downhill quick with a heel filled ring with Dixie and Magnus recaping and patting themseleves on the back for what they did to AJ last week, then bringing all the heels down to join in. Magnus givves one of the belts to Dixie . She calls out her nephew EC3 and as he comes to the ring Sting's music hits and he comes out in the crowd with a bat....comericial break time

Sting claims what is in the ring is not the future and Dixie has no honor, he claims what they did last week was over the line. He runs down Magnus as a paper champion and sell out.

Finally the face locker room empties out to help Sting and we get a brawl.Sting takes the bat to EC3's mid section in the ring while everyone else mills about around the ring. (( We still haven't started the first match of the night just for the record, at the half an hour point in a two hour show)) back to the second commericial break already....

Back from the break and the faces have taken over the ring with the heels on the outside, Rock Star Spud brings out a ref and makes it a twelve man((person considering you got two women out there)) official tag match. Everyone continues to brawl, eventuallthe get it down to in ring action.
Just for the record the teams are Eric Young , Joe Park ,Gunner and Storm, Samoa Joe and ODB vs
Bad Influence, the Bromen, Zimma Ion, and Lady Tiepa.
After some half decent action including the women wrestling with the men , Joe Parks sees blood and does the Abyss gimmick taking out everyone including his team, Samoa Joe gets the choke submission on Daniels for the win.
Back stage Angelina Love is talkig to Austin Aries, he leaves just as Chris Sabin sees them and Sabin calls Angelina Love out to the ring to talk about it in front of the world, we go back to commercial...
Back from the break and Kurt Angle is in the back bellowing for Dixie and AL Snow who faked a family emergency on him last week.
Back in the ring Sabin is brow beating Angilina Love when Aries comes out . Back and forth we go until eventually the match next week is for the X Division title with Velvet Sky at ring side in a cage to see if Sabin can win without her . She tells Sabin if he doesn't win she might have to find a new man and leaves him with Aries in the ring.

Back stage again with Angle looking for Dixie and back to commercial....
Back from the commercial and we see Sam Shaw go psycho on a random guy in the back .He beat him with his own shoe and stopped to smell the shoe in the middle of the beat down, he come across more as the goofy kind of crazy than the scary kind to me here .
We FINALLY get a match on the card, Bully Ray vs Anderson in a no DQ. Pretty good hardcore type match, bumps include a Mic Check on the guard rail and two tables, both men teased setting the other on fire before Bully won with low blow and the jumping pile driver for the pin, not even the table actually got set on fire ....
Kurt Angle finds and beats up Al Snow in the back.off to commercial we go....

Back from the break and Kurt is in the ring bellowing about how Dixie went too far last week, holding the ring hostage. Dixie heads out. Dixie claims she is looking tfor Kurt and his family because he isn't smart enough to do it himself . Kurt decides to support Sting tonight , Dixie moves Kurt's match back to next week and threatens his job if he gets involved in the main event . Kurt claims he will do what's right even if he gets fired, Dixie calls Kurt unstable and calls for security to remove him from the building, while Kurt is dealing with them Rhoode jumps him from behind ,and then hits the Rhoode Bomb before two fat guys in suits take Kurt away...
Back from break and Gail Kim and Lady Tiapa jump Madison Rayne back stage during an interview before the Knockout title match
Back from commercial and Dixie gives Earl Hebner head ref the night off from the main event, telling him to find out the same way everyone else will who takes his place...

Knock OUt Title match-Madison Rayne vs Gail Kim with Lady Taipa
Decent match, Gail has stolen Bret Hart's old gimmick of the figure four on the ring post, bad ending as Madison wins with a generic roll up. Some people who watched claimed she hit the back of Gail's head on her knee leading into the roll up, I didn't see it but it raises the question of is it a new finisher for Madison or was it a botched move? Either way, new Knockout Champion Madison Rayne!
Back from break and Dixie is talking about a try out match to the American Wolves Eddie Edward and Davey Richards. They tell her they already signed a contract earlier this morning with someone, and hand her an envelope, it's a mystery new investor in TNA !

Main Event Sting vs EC3 . Rock Star Spud is the special ref. We get the first decent chant of the night " Your a douche bag" not sure that's for EC3 or Rockstar but then it changes to "You can't wrestle" still not sure who they're talking to....
Rock Star Spud of course heavily favors EC3and holds Sting back repeatedly, distracting him until EC3 can turn it around. They go through that routine a couple times, Sting whips EC3 on the outside and ignores Rockstar, back inside EC3 gets the jump off another distraction by Spud but Sting won't stay on the defensive. Sting gets the Scorpion Deathlock on and Spud jumps on his bak to get him off but Sting swings Spud around and hits EC3 with Spud, then a Scorpion Death Drop but Spud goes into antics, a super slow count with Sting's own hand, before Magnus comes down and yanks Spud out of the ring, he reveals a ref shirt under his jacket, and fast counts when EC3 rolls Sting up from behind while he's distracted.
Sting claims he'll do anything to fight Magnus after the match and we go to break....
Back from break and after the usual back and forth on the mic we get Sting vs Magnus in a Title vs Sting's contract match next week.

Pros- Bringing in the American Wolves, the hard core no DQ match between Bully and Anderson, I don't think anyone really expected either to get set on fire or put through a burning table . And the mystery investor story started. Could it be the biggest work in a long time in wrestling and Jarrett ? Is it Toby Keith or both? Someone else ?

Cons- Way too many talking segments and backstage crap on a free , live , "ppv" show even if it is in two parts. And the entire Dixie thing is a pretty clear rip off of the Authority and Unified champ story over in the WWE .

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 18th, 2014, 3:09 am #17

Smackdown tonight-

It starts off with Mizz joining JBL and Cole on commentary, while Codey Rhodes and Golddust face the New Age Outlaws in the opening bout. It starts out a good match, back and forth with some close calls . Vicki Gurrero distracts everyone from on the stage talking about the Rumble and it being everyone vs everyone including brother vs brother and Billy Gunn gets the win with a roll up and holding the tights.

Renee Young interviews CM Punk in the back, he plans to call out the Shield tonight and Paul Heyman enters the arena before we go to the break.
Paul cuts a lengthy promo to hype the upcoming Lesnar vs Bigshow at the Rumble...he claims Show is too afraid of Lesnar to try and put his hands on him, out Show comes. Heyman hightails it and Show cuts his half the promo.He mentions the old days when he was a Heyman guy and says he'll knock Lesnar out at the Rumble .
In the new strange project WWE is trying where divas announce matches we see Eve Maria announce Del Rio vs Mysterio up after the break.
Good long match between Del Rio and Rey with the all too common roll up weak ending for Rey to win it , Del Rio jumps Rey from behind after the bell and puts the arm breaker on . Rey really plays up the injury, or maybe it's real. With Rey you never know.

Up next is Naomi of the Funkadactles vs Tamina Snuka . Emma from Nxt is in the crowd just like on Raw. Decent match, AJ and Cameron get involved outside before Naomi gets the win with a split leg moonsault off the top rope for the pin.Tamina does a really good power house heel diva, something they haven't had since Karma left . On the other hand Naomi is the botch queen and she's gonna hurt herself or someone else in the ring if she doesn't get trained better or go back to dancing .
We get a video/still shot look at the career of May Young, it sounds like Stephanie McMan doing the voice over with a sad song in the back ground, the saddest part was when she talked about wanting to be around the WWE for her 100th birthday. An eight decade carrerr , wow .
The Wyatts are up next, the Daniel Bryant chants are deafening after they showed a recap of him turning on and manhandling Bray in the steel cage on Raw Monday night. Bray sprouts gibberish , DB a guyot even on the show gets the biggest pop of the night.
Renee Young is backstage with Punk again, this time he calls out the New Age Outlaws along with the Shield.
The Bellas do one of the new introductions for Big E vs Fandangoo.

Fandango gets the early advantage but can't keep it on Big E and his power game. Both guys are pretty good in the ring, not sure why they're not doing more with Fandango but Big E is on the fast track . Already the IC champ and I expect him to be in the main event picture within a year.
Renee Young is back stage with the Shield asking about how they'll work together in the Rumble .It breaks down fast between Ambrose and Rollins till Reigns puts his foot down.
Askana announces the Usos vs the Real Americans
The Usos are selling thier wounds from the cage match Monday with taped ribs and shoulders . It's a decent match but nowhere near as good as these two teams are capable of, unfortuantly the focus was more on comedy with Zeb Colter in his neck brace and wheelchair than the actual mach.

"Main event" I put the " around it because it isn't an actual match. Punk comes out and does a border line shoot on the Authority , HHH and Stephanie McMan, out comes the SHield and Outlaws to surround him in the ring. Coperate Kane comes out to stop them,claiming the Authority doesn't want things this way , accuses Punk of his anger being misplaced and being parinoid . His new top priority is to make sure Punk is treated well and with respect . He gives Punk his word and leaves the ring . Punk says Kane's word used to mean something but now it means nothing from a seven foot tall suck up sell out. Kane sics the dogs on him but it's just a distraction for Kane to choke slam him .

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

January 18th, 2014, 11:32 pm #18

WWE Hall Of Famer Celebrating A Milestone Birthday

"Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase turns 60 today. From his WWE.com bio:

Every time his diabolical laugh echoed over arena loudspeakers, children across the country clutched their allowances a little tighter. That’s because, for the dastardly “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase, everybody had a price.

With his nose higher in the air than his private 747, DiBiase began every match barking orders at his manservant, Virgil, before displaying a truly priceless technical arsenal and disposing of his opponents handily with his nearly inescapable sleeper hold, The Million Dollar Dream. As a tip for their services, DiBiase would then stuff $100 bills into their unconscious mouths.

It’s no surprise that the Million Dollar Man had several brushes with WWE gold, the most respected of which is his showing in the WrestleMania VI WWE Championship Tournament. En route to the finals, which would decide the new owner of the vacant WWE Championship, DiBiase defeated Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Don Muraco before ultimately losing to Randy Savage. A tag team rematch featuring the Mega Powers (Savage and Hulk Hogan) vs. The Mega Bucks (DiBiase and Andre The Giant) headlined the inaugural SummerSlam in 1988.

The Million Dollar Man wasn’t all talk, either. Using his nearly limitless fortune, DiBiase purchased everything, from the #30 spot in the 1989 Royal Rumble, to Superstar contracts, to the WWE Championship itself after buying off Andre the Giant. Ultimately, DiBiase created his own title – the solid gold, diamond-laced Million Dollar Championship – which was never officially recognized by WWE brass.

DiBiase’s greatest investment, perhaps, was The Undertaker. As part of The Million Dollar Man’s 1990 Survivor Series squad, the Deadman debuted as the ominous fourth man, funded by the wealthy team captain. Since then, Taker’s value has appreciated exponentially, and DiBiase can legitimately claim to have discovered the most legendary WWE Superstar of all time.

As a three-time WWE Tag Team Champion with partner Irwin R. Schyster in Money Inc., and the head of the star-studded Million Dollar Corporation in the mid-90s, DiBiase’s active career wound down with a brief run in WCW before he was inducted into the 2010 class of the WWE Hall of Fame.
VIDEOS

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

WIKIPEDIA ENTRY

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

January 20th, 2014, 4:59 am #19

Today in 'Rasslin' History: Ric Flair Wins The Royal Rumble, WWF Title

January 19, 1992: The Royal Rumble elimination match, the fifth of its kind and the main event of that year's eponymous PPV was and is still unique in that the WWF Championship was on the line, making 30 men potential champions.

Ultimately emerging from the No. 3 spot and after nearly an hour in the ring, the winningest World Champion of them all, "Nature Boy" RIC FLAIR (AKA 'The Dirtiest Player In The Game'), eliminated Sid Justice (with some timely & helpful intervention from Hulk Hogan, who was not pleased over being eliminated by Sid) to take the undisputed WWF Heavyweight Title for the first time in what many fans to this day consider the greatest Royal Rumble performance ever.

VIDEO: Ric Flair's Awesome Post-Match Victory Promo

In other matches on the card, held at Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, NY:

The New Foundation ('The Rocket' Owen Hart & Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart) defeated The Orient Express (Tanaka & Kato) with Mr. Fuji when Owen pinned Tanaka after a Rocket Launcher.

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper defeated The Mountie (with Jimmy Hart) by TKO with a sleeper hold to become WWF Intercontinental Champion.

The Beverly Brothers (Blake & Beau) with 'The Genius' Lanny Poffo defeated The Bushwhackers (Luke & Butch) with Jameson when Blake pinned Butch after a double axehandle from Beau.

The Natural Disasters (Typhoon & Earthquake) with Jimmy Hart def. World Tag Team Champions The Legion of Doom (Animal & Hawk) by count-out with LOD retaining the title.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 21st, 2014, 5:06 am #20

WWE Raw tonight
It SHOULD be a good show, with the return of Batista, the ending of last week with DB and the ending of Smackdown with Punk and Kane to build on, and the fact it's the last Raw before the Rumble.

The opening is HHH and Steph, they talk about the Rumble and when it seems like they're gonna bring out Batista , Orton its the ring. Steph bawls him out ,threatens to fire Orton if he can't play by thier rules. Orton blows a gasket . HHH puts him in a rematch with Kofi Kingston tonight and demands he make things right with John Cena as well tonight, all on his own.
Out comes Dave Bautista, and the crowd goes insane. Dave gets right in Orton's face telling he came back to win the Rumble, win the WWE heavyweight championship and headline Mania this year. He leaves a very unhappy Orton alone in the ring...

It's announced that the presho match for the Rumble will be the Rhodes vs the New Age Outlaws for the tag championship, and the first match of the night is the Rhodes and Big E vs the Shield. Suprisngly Rollins got the pin on Big E , I figured it would be Ambrose to set up a unification of the US and IC belts that rumors have hapening soon.
Good match as usual, tonight's highlight was seeing Big E and Roman Reigns work together, almost like a premonition of the future of the WWE right there.

Up next, DB interview where he talks about his time with the Wyatts, all two weeks of it ...what are the chances they jump him during the the interview? He takes a shot at HHH and Vince when the crowd goes nuts for him , "
Some people say I shouldn't be the face of this company"
Then goes back to cutting a good promo on Bryatt, and announces thier one on one match at the Rumble. Wyatt interupts and cuts another bizzaro promo. The way it looks right now, DB is not gonna be in the actual Rumble, which is a shame if so.

The 2nd match is Fandangoo with Summer Rey vs Xavier Woods with R Truth on commentary. It's a super fast match with Fandangoo getting pretty much all the offense and the win with his top rope leg drop. Emma is in the crowd again dancing .
I wonder if this means they're already giving up on Woods by having him job to a guy who usually jobs to others, or are they building up a Woods vs Truth split and feud already?
We go back stage to Kane and Brad Maddox talking about Batista's return when Steph comes in and bawls Kane out for choke slamming Punk . She tells Kane he can't touch the superstars now that he's part of the Authority and to appologize to Punk.

Kane heads to the ring and calls Punk down. Kane appologizes the first time, half hearted and Punk makes him repeat it before Punk tells Kane he's sorry too and unloads on him forcing him from the ring. Kane is ready to fight but Brad Maddox stops him and makes Punk face either Road Dogg or Billy Gunn , they do rock paper sciccors and Gunn wins. Roaddog is on commentary. Punk gets the win, taking on Billy in the ring and Dogg outside it. Kane comes out to announce Punk will be the 1st man in the Rumble .
We see Paul Heyman and Brock Lesnar entering the arena on the camera watching for Cena's return, somehow Lawler actually mistakes Lesnar for Cena before he sees Paul. How?
We get the May Young tribute again. Really sad song but really nice touch for May. RIP you great lady.

Rey Mysterio vs Alberto Del Rio for the third time in a week. It's the rubber match but Del Rio really does a number on Rey for a good long while, I keep expecting Batista to come down and crush them both...Del Rio gets the win with the arm breaker but Batista is out to crush him with a spine buster and Batista Bomb .

Big Show is out next, he mockes Paul Heyman and it's the funniest best thing SHow has done on the mic in a long time, he calls out Brock but it's Heyman who hits the stage. Paul uses facial expressions to play up being too mad before he gives Brock the nod and his music hits. Brock teases getting in the ring but waves Show off a the last second, and heads backstage again. Show calls him out a second time and Brock returns ...he gets in the ring with Show only to get thrown around and eventually out of it . He grabs a chair and wrecks the annouce table, but when he tries to get in the ring again Show stands on the chair and blocks it . Show looks way too strong headed to the Rumble, Lesnar will probably put him out with an injury at the Rl Sunday to make him look more unstopable.

Up next is the Diva match, we see earlier that AJ was having a party to celebrate her being the longest running Diva champ, when Bad News Barrett explains noone came to the party because no one likes her. He leaves and when some other announcer questions AJ she flips out screaming and misses the announcer hitting Tamina with the cake . It's a tag match, the two of them vs the Funkadactyles. Naomi gets a surprise roll up on AJ for the pin and AJ melts down in the ring again. During the segment and match Tamina showed signs of getting tired of putting up with AJ and her crazy.
A MLK tribute. Nice touch.

The Usos vs the Wyatts. I hope they don't run this paring into the ground like they have the Usos and the Shield, fifty non title matches and two title matches only for the Usos to get nothing out of the feud ...
As usual it was a good match, mostly due to the Uso's carrying it . Luke Harper is a decent big man, but mediocre at best . Eric Harper is horrible in my opinion. Bray Wyatt takes a shot at the crowd, who have been dead all night other than for DB. He goes on to blabber about what he's gonna do to DB at the Rumble, of course DB comes out to jump him and causes a distraction allowing the Usos to get a rollup win.

Up next, the main event Orton vs Kingston, and we're still on Cena watch at the arena entrance . Orton plays it up being distacted about Cena arriving the entire match. Cena shows up at the arena entrance with about 4 minutes to go.....on foot? Runs all the way to the ring in his ring gear and new tee shirt......jumps Orton , beats on him alll the way up the arena steps, and into a sky box. Orton manages to shove a fan between them and escape out the door, when Cena follows outside the arean we see Orton climb in a random minivan and get away. Cena comes back in to high five fans on his way back to the ring and the show ends.

1- Batista's return. First of all , he was wearing some sort of sports shirt and skinny jeans. It was a disturbing visual on a man that size. And honestly the crowd had a luke warm reaction to him, as far as returns go his tonight even with the beatdown on Del Rio was very mediocre.

2- The midcard for the most part is a mess, and the Xavier Woods vs Fandangoo was the perfect example . Fandangoo beat Jericho at the last Mania right after he debuted , and then got a concusion. Every since he's been in random matches, nothing you could call even a decent feud or storyline, and no gold around his waist in the first year on the main roster. It's getting close to the now or never point for him in my opinion. The same could be said about a lot of the mid card guys like Barrett, Caesaro and Swagger, Sandow, The Usos and Prime Time Players, The Mizz, Kofi Kingston, and some others. As far as Xavier Woods, he gets a decent push against Brodus Clay and partnered with R Truth, and after a month he's losing in under three minutes to the guy he was starting a feud with? It boggles the mind.

3- CM Punk vs the Authority. This was the highlight of the night for me, it looks like Punk is getting another big push toward the main event or at least a high slot on the Mania card vs HHH if he doesn't win the Rumble . Maybe a decent feud with Kane along the way.

4- Rey Mysterio is a glass cannon at this point. Injuries are piling up and he gets more and more limited in the ring . Del Rio is one of the best workers they have right now but in the PG era he can't have that edge that might make him the next Razor Ramon type bad guy heel given the chance to light it up on the mic and in the ring like he could if it was the Attitude Era or even the PGTV 14 Ruthless Agression period.

5- Bigshow and Brock Lesnar. Do they honestly think they can take Show from crying and wearing a diaper as the New Year Baby to being a legitamate badass and threat to Brock Lesnar, a former UFC champ? The only way I can see this working out is Lesnar injuring Show at the Rumble , if they let Show win it would be a travesty in my opinion.

6- AJ Lee and the diva divison in general. Sure she's the longest running diva champion, but it's like Ambrose in the US division, if they never defend those belts who cares? Of course in the diva divison there's not much competition to defend against. There's Natalya who ha been pretty much written off tv in the last month, then Tamina who is getting better in the ring but apparently has no mic skills at all. Naomi is a bad accident waiting to happen in the ring, she's going to hurt herself or someone else, and Cameron is eye candy/dancing entertainment . Don get me started on the Bellas, Eva Marie or Askanna. With her being shown in the crowd I suppose Emma will debut sooner or later, but I have no idea how good she really is in the ring, people who watched her and Paige on Nxt and the indy circuit swear the two will save the diva divison though.
7- The Usos are on a roll right now win wise, and probably one of if not the best tag team in the WWE right now. The only other might be the Real Americans. But, for some reason the Rhodes Brothers are defending the tag belts against part time old timers the New Age Outlaws instead of either. As far as Luke Harper and Eric Rowan go, Harper might have some talent but he's nothing special, and Eric Rowan is very green. I can't see either ever getting anywhere outside the tag team picture. Honestly I doubt with the talent that division has right now they'll get anwhere in it . Still not impressed with them or Bray Wyatt himself, and I wonder what the WWE will have for any of them afte this feud with DB.

8-The Main Event and ending of the show. I like Kofi Kingston , he's an amazing athelete with a unique style, but now at 5 or so years he's never gotten past the mid card, and the IC/US title picture. One has to wonder if he ever will, although there's no shame in those titles, look at some of the guys who got thier starts there and spent most if not all thier careers there. Randy Savage and RIcky Steamboat where multiple IC champs and Austin and the Rock as well, same with the US strap. Orton is another guy held back by the PG brand, this unified champ thing would work lot better if he could return full blown to the Legend Killer who kicked people in the head while they where down and threw them down stairs while thier backs where turned .
Cena is Cena, he'll always get made to look like Superman in his stoies and feuds, win lose or draw. While a couple others have started to do the same thing, like Punk and even DB, they haven't worn it out as bad as Cena has for ten years now.
And the ending itself, with the random car get away......Unless it turns out to be someone major driving the car, be it Batista, HHH, or a real shocker like Niki Bella or Cena's own father it was retarded.
Over all this has been one of the worst buildups for a major event like the Rumble I can remember. Not much focus on the Rumble itself , and it seems like the winner is almost crystal clear in Batista or at the very least thinned down to 3-4 other guys. I can see Punk, DB, or a returning Sheamus winning instead. Reigns of the SHield is a real long shot this early but it could happen. I'd love to see a shock winner like a Barret or Caesaro but I seriously doubt that.

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

January 22nd, 2014, 12:04 am #21

Does anybody know why the WWE went with a 40 man Rumble for 2011? Its seems 30 is the standard number but the first one was a 20 man and the 2011 one was a 40 man. Do you know who won the first Royal Rumble?
[+] spoiler
Hacksaw Jim Duggan!
I've seen the first Royal Rumble too. With the new WWE Network I'll be able to see every one of the major 4 PPVs. I've seen all the Wrestlemanias but I haven't seen all the Royal Rumbles, Summerslams or Survivor Series. February 24th can't come soon enough. Oh, and I've never seen a WCW PPV before. Oh man...
Put your twinkie in my Nutella, it tastes good. Mallie from Darkness Radio

MataHari
Board Deity
MataHari
Board Deity

January 22nd, 2014, 3:56 am #22

Okay. Truth be told, when I had the time, I watch the Polynesian/Pacific wrestling.
Even took my little brother to see a match that was raising money for one of the community centers.
Keep your twinkie out of my Nutella. Paraphrasing Mallie from Darkness Radio

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 24th, 2014, 5:53 am #23

TNA Genesis Part 2.
It starts out with Dixie, Spud , Magnus and thier lawyer in the back. It seems that the unknown investor has bought more stocks and is demanding a fair fight against Sting tonight . They argue and it plays out Sting may have one person in his corner for the match, in turn Magnus makes it no DQ and No Count Out tonight. Magnus thinks Sting is or is in cahoots with the mystery investor . He goes to the ring with SPud and EC3 to call Sting out on it, Sting's music hits and out he comes .
They go back and forth on the mic unti Magnus slaps Sting and Sting goes off, EC3 and Spud jump Sting while Magnus bails, Samoa Joe out to save Sting and be the man in his corner later .

We get a video package setup for the Storm vs Gunner match tonight"title briefcase on a pole match" they let us know several times the winner has to have "sole possession of the breifcase " after they climb and retrieve it, which is kind of strange it should be a given. Maybei'll play out in the match....
BUT FIRST we get Dixie back stage with her master plan to handle Joe, put him in a match with Rockstar Spud!
Back to the ring for Storm and Gunner. It's a short but decent match and comes down to the wire with Storm hitting a SUperhurricanranna and almost breaking Gunner's neck but Gunner comes back with a super eletctic chair drop off the top rope with the briefcase in Storm's hands, the case hits the matt and Gunner snatches the case right out of Storm's hands more or less at the last second by scooping it off the matt first .
Up next is the X Division championship match between Chris Sabin and Austin Aries, with Velvet Sky in a cage outside the ring. First we get a video of Velvet opening a gift from Sabin earlier in the day with an appology note saying she will know just what to do. In the gift bag is a teddy bear and an iron pipe ....
It's a decent match but nowhere near what these two are capable of with more time and effort, the defining moment is when Sabin asks for the gift bag from Velvet, she gives it to him but all that's in it is the teddy bear, no iron pipe. Areis gets the advantage and keeps it, stuffing the bear in is trunks at one point......and then gets the win to take the title off Sabin.
Up next is the steel cage match between Angle and Rhoode. If Angle loses he leaves TNA and can never be in thier hall of fame...
By far and away the best match of the night, both guys did a lot of little things to sell the moves and tell story throughout. Kurt hit a moonsault off the top of the cage, but Rhoode moved. Rhoode escapes through the door onto the steps outside the ring but his feet never touch the floor as Kurt drags him back in by the ankle. Before Kurt can get the ankle lock in Rhoode kicks him and makes it to the steps a second time, gets the Angle Lock in this ime but Rhoode manages to flip him into the cage. Rhoode hits the Rhoode Bomb but Kurt kicks out.Both men climb the cage fighting as they go and crash and burn from about half way up . More back and forth until Kurt makes it halfway over the top before Rhoode catches up , they duke it out standing on the top rope until Kurt sends Rhoode crotch first down on the rope, Angle climbs over the top while Rhoode crawls toward the door again. Kurt drops down at the last second to in the race and the match.
We go to the back and Spud is freaking out over his match with Joe, EC3 comes in to give him a pep talk....I hate to admit it but it's petty funny
Back in the ring and the BROMEN and Zimma Ion are blathering on about something, not sure what. I think they're bragging about being on Dixie's side . Or thier tans or being and becoming champs or something ....even Tazz and Mike Tenay on the commentary talk about how bad it is , and the crowd is as quite as a church mouse,you could hear a pin drop. For Some reason, Eric Young charges the ring only get beat down 3 on 1. Abyss comes down to make the save and crushes the tag champs and Ion. He starts to Black Hole Slam Eric as well but changes his mind .Apparently these two get a tag team title shot next week while on tour in the UK.

We get a Samoa Joe promo .
And then we get the most awkward Kurt Angle promo of his career when he talks about how much Sting means to TNA, how much everyone will miss Sting if he has to leave and how much he loves Sting. He was fighting hard to keep a straight face , I think.
Samoa Joe and Spud's match is about what you expect it to be, Spud's offense consists of a thumb to the eyes and a couple drop kicks trying to take Joe's knee out. Joe takes everything he has and barely slows down before he hits the muscle buster and then warns team Dixie Land they have to come through him to get to Sting later . The upside to the nonsense, when Joe caught Spud in mid air and lifted him over his head one handed by the neck, and the post match stare and promo reminded you of the old Joe.

Main Event
Sting with Joe in his corner vs Magnus for the world title, if Sting loses he leaves TNA.

It actually starts off as decent as it can for a match between Sting, a guy in his 50s that can go at about three quarters speed at best and Magnus a guy in his fifth year with the company who
s getting better but still green in some ways. You can tell he has to really take care not to hurt poor Sting. EC3 comes down the ramp but Joe sends him scurrying back up it before we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Sting begins to put the Scorpion Deathlock on but here cmesBad Company and EC3 to break it up, eventually Sting and Joe clear the ring. Sting hits the Deathdrop but Zimma Ion pulls the ref out before he can count three. All the heels gang up on Joe and Sting until Kurt Angle makes the save, going Cyborg mode he clears the ring leaving Sting and Magnus alone. Joe and Kurt run the bad guys off, Sting hits a super plex and locks the Deathlock in again but Bobby Rhoode hits him from behind while the ref is out and Magnus tapping goes unseen. Dixie drags Earl Hebner down to the ring as Mangus hits the Magnus Driver on Sting for the slow reluctant three count. The show goes off as Dixie, Magnus and Ec3 stand over Sting ripping his contract up.

My thoughts.
1-The first match with Storm and Gunner was way too short, and honestly the ending might have been a botch, I'm not sure that Storm was supposed to bring the briefcase down with him when he did. These two could have given a much better showing with more time either way even if that was the planned ending.
2-Aries vs Sabin for the Division title. Once again this felt rushed, not a lot of big spots at all really, another two guys who could burn it down in the ring if allowed. I don't even mind the angle with Velet between the two but......the two of them have played hot potatoe with the title back and forth for three months now, it's became a two man divison more or less. I know the roster is stripped bare right now but at least get Zimma Ion who has the X title shot briefcase , Kenny King and Manik back in the picture and on tv. Better yet bring in some fresh faces or bring back old faces for fresh matches and angles or feuds.

3-Rhoode and Angle in the steel cage. The best feud TNA has had all year, possibly in several years. Needless to say Rhoode is one of the guys this company should be pushing and building itself around right now. This should have been the main event .

4- Joe and Spud. Joe has been misused for the majority of his time in TNA. They gave him one good run when they first brought him in, then a decent stint in the midcard , but for the past 2-3 years he's been on the sidelines of the main events. He barely gets a title shot these days, let alone a title run. His hightlight was a short TV champ run. Use him while you still can TNA, along with Rhoode and Aries he's the best thing you have right now.
As far as Spud goes, I don't know what they where thinking signing a guy that is litterally good for nothing but comedy. An actual midget , I don't think he can ever be taken serious even as an X divison guy.

5- The Bromen/Zimma Ion and Eric Young /Abyss segment. I understand it was to set up the tag title match next week in Scotland, but what then. Best case scenario I see Abyss turning on Eric Young to start a feued between the two, and that could be a good enough thing..
I can't see them winning the belts as a face team with the American Wolves new to the hunt and probably as faces as well. Probably sometime soon the Wolve will be the ones to take the belts off them and hopefully move on to a feud with Bad Influence.
As far as the Bromen, what a waste. They have the look physically but mediocre mic skills and average at best in the ring. The promo tonight was horrible by any definition, intentional or not.
Zimma Ion is pretty good in the ring and about average on the mic , they need to get him back in the X divison picuture ASAP.
6-The Main Event. Twice in a row you had one to two guys taking on the entire heel roster and holding thier own if not winning at least for a time. Now, take into account this heel roster includes your heavyweight champion and the tag team champions a well, along with 5 other guys. It makes them all look pathetically weak , and not in a good intentional way. Another thing,TNA needs to get over the screwjob endings. Not only is it a pale ripoff of the WWE's authority storyline with Randy Orton but it just gets old. The differance is, when it comes to main event time Orton can and has stood on his own, and looked strong even in losses. Right now Magnus is being made to look like a total paper champion, not just in character as one. And the sad part of it is, Magnus is the one guy in this heel Dixie Land Faction that should be intimidating. Other than him you have the Bromen, Spud, Zimma Ion and EC3. In time EC3 might work his way up to a credible heel threat but right now he's stuck in the "spoiled pampered poor little rich boy".
7- The future of TNA in general. Let's take things for what they apear to be . By that let's assume it's not a work and Sting is really gone, probably headed to the WWE to face Taker at Mania . Maybe , maybe not but if so that's another huge contract gone and frees more money up for the production value of the shows and to bring in new fresh talent. Kurt's contract is supposedly up around August. That would be the last of the really big contracts, so the obvious question would be what are they doing with all this newly freed up funding? The only new talent seen so far on TV would be the American Wolves, nice grabs but one has to doubt they're getting paid anywhere near what Hogan, Sting or Angle where or would be. It BOGGLES MY MIND, what AJ Styles asked for or what TNA wouldn't give him that caused that deal to fail?
They really need to get some new talent. At this point, even the TNA orignals are no longer young. Joe, Aries, Sabin, Abyss, Eric Young, and Bad Influence, Ken Anderson, Bully Ray, Storm, even the new American Wolves , Rhoode , Gali Kim , ODB and Velvet in the Knockouts ain't getting any younger. All of these stars are in thier mid to late 30s.A few of them are probably early 40s . Now that doesn't mean they'll retire tomorrow , some of them might have five or even another ten years in them, fine, but they're the current or present of TNA, who's the future?
We got Magnus and Gunner, the two young guys getting singles pushes right now, and by young I mean late twenties to early thirties themselves. After them it leaves EC3 who has the look and decent ring and mic skills, he's still a question mark, too soon to say, same with Sam Shaw who we've seen even less of. The tag division is non-exisant at this point, from a young talent standpoint and so is the X division.
And last , but not least....
The Mystery Investor. There's two possibilities at this point, it's a work and all part of a new storyline. OR it's legit and TNA is about to get either brand new or co-ownership other than the Carters.
If it's a work hands off to TNA for keeping the lid on it for this long in this age of internet rumors and spoilers. It would be a fairly short list of possible people to fill the role though, mainly either Sting in a non wrestling roll, Jeff Hardy or AJ Styles. A lot of popular opinion is in fact on Sting. I couldn't take AJ or Jeff serious as buisness men roles and I don't think either are ready to step into no wrestling roles yet.
IF it is legit, the speculation is really wide open and all over the place.
Jeff Jarret/Tobey Keith/Jim Ross/ Lead Singer of Smashing Pumpkins, Shane McMahon, Jim Cornette , Eric Bishoff,just to name a few!
Ross, Cornnette and Bishoff have flat denied it, but if it is a work of course they would....
A deal with the Smashing Pumpkin guy supposedly fell through late last year , but once again if they wanted to keep it under wraps that's what they would tell us.
It being Shane McMahon would blow the roof off the wrestling world, but it's by far the least likely of a lot of unlikley canidates....
Jarrett and or Tobey Keith is probably the most realistic, Kieth is a huge wrestling fan and even made some apearances with TNA in the early days. He definatly has the money. And he and Jarret are close friends in real life . Jarret recently left TNA supposedly, and has been teasing a wrestling project for weeks now.
Recently Kevin Knash did the same thing, another long shot . I think , not sure he is under a legends contract with WWE which would squash that .
Probably the widlest fanboy mark rumor is a TNA /ROH merger but it isn't impossible, Sinclair Broadcasting owns ROH and they have the money, AJ went to ROh and Jim Cornette formerly with TNA and ROH has had his name come up more than once....
But now, let me throw a real wild card , with a couple points to support it .
1- TNA crowns Magnus the first UK born champion of an American Wrestling company in over 100 years.
2- The mystery investor is going to be revealed next week in Scotland....
What if it is legit and some unknown UK wrestling promoter or just someome with money anda wrestling fan for that matter has decided to take an interest and investment in TNA? It could be someone we here in the states have litterally never heard of .....

To wrap it up, just let me say who I think it'll be and what I hope
I think it'll be a work/story angle probably with Sting and or possibly Hardy, AJ, and even Jarrett in on it, everyone who supposedly left the company recently.
I actuallyoe it's someone like Tobey Keith or an unknown, even the Smashing Pumpkin guy coming in to save TNA.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 26th, 2014, 10:09 pm #24

The WWE Royal Rumble is tonight, one of only about 2-3 WWE shows I actually watch every year, along with Mania and sometimes Summerslam.

Other than the 30 man Royale Rumble , the card is as follows

Randy Orton vs John Cena for the WWE World Heavyweight Unified title(( or what the hell ever they're calling it this week))

I think Orton will retain. Mostly because Cena faced Lesnar not too long ago so that would be a repeat of a feud , although that's never stopped them before....I still think we'll see Orton hang on and face Lesnar and win again, to face Punk and possibly Daniel Bryan at Mania and lose it there.

Big Show vs Brock Lesnar.
I'll take Lesnar in this one, to make him look like the unstoppable beast when he faces the champ probably at Elimination Chamber if not sooner on Raw. I expect him to win but by DQ, Brock probably won't win the title, but go on looking unstoppable to face Taker at Mania

Daniel Bryan vs Bray Wyatt .

I'll take Bray Wyatt to win the match, but then DB will possibly be a surprise entry into the rumble afterward where he'll eliminate all the Wyatt family and go on to win!

Tag titles on the line with Cody Rhodes and Gold Dust vs the New Age Outlaws.

I'm going with the Outlaws to win the belts here. Either during the match , after or in the Rumble itself Cody and Dust will fall out to start their feud leading into WrestleMania for a brother vs brother possibly with Dusty as the special referee and Gold Dust retiring if/when he loses.

The interesting thing with this is what brother will play the face and who will play the heel. Gold Dust was a great heel back in the day, and so was Cody during his Legacy days and when he was the IC champ. Gold Dust became more of a comedy act when he turned face, and Cody has struggled every since he did , only having any real success as part of the current tag team champion run they're on now.

Even though I expect the Outlaws to win tonight I don't see them holding the belts long, Mania would be a stretch and probably dropping them either on a Raw or Smackdown or at Elimination Chamber to one of the hot tag teams, possibly the Usos , Wyatts or the Real Americans.

The Rumble itself this year is wide open, well not wide but at leas there's 5 or so guys that have a good chance of winning it . Batisita is the popular pick because of his return right before it, but with Punk entering first there's a good chance he might "do the impossible" and go the distance ala HBK, Rey Mysterio Jr or Ric Flair . You can never count out the rising star of Roman Reigns, who I think might match or even break Kane's old elimination record of 13 superstars . There's an outside chance DB will be a surprise entry as well, to win it .

And of course like every year we can expect a few surprise entries. This year I think RVD, Sheamus, Mark Henry, and Jake the Snake Roberts and possibly Chris Jericho.
Crazy Rumors include Too Cold Scorpio, Jimmy Wang Yang, Sting and Undertaker .

Of the bunch Sheamuss would be my pick if any to actually win it.
Under Taker if he even shows as early as tonight would be to set up his Mania match with Lesnar , Hogan I figure will be saved until Mania and the only way Sting shows is if it's going to be him to face Taker at Mania, which would change everything concerning Brock and the title picture as well, if Sting is coming to WWE I expect him to get one short title run along with his match against Taker .

I think the final five will be
Sheamus
Batista
Punk
Roman Reigns
Daniel Bryant

And I'll take Punk Or DB as the winner . Either one is a safe bet, with possibly Batista but it just seems to predictable for him to win it for me but WWE has disappointed and done the obvious thing many times in the past so we never know...

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 26th, 2014, 11:28 pm #25

I just remembered Dolph Ziggler has been out with a concussion for close to a month, he could return tonight as well, and while I doubt he'd win he could very well make it to the final five or six guys in the ring!

Hi, whoever else is reading right now!

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

January 27th, 2014, 12:26 am #26

Thanks for posting about the Rumble tonight. I almost forgot about the free pre-show! It starts in 4 minutes. I hope the New Age Outlaws come out with their original music tonight. "Oh you didn't know, your ASS betta call somebody!" Why did they take the "ASS" out? That's what made the song! Billy Gun is still Mr. Ass. Don't be an ass WWE and put the ass back in!

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 27th, 2014, 12:55 am #27

Outlaws won clean, that was surprising. Maybe that bump to the head that Dust took early will cause him to go dark and turn on Cody in the Rumble later?

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

January 27th, 2014, 1:03 am #28

Americanronin wrote:Outlaws won clean, that was surprising. Maybe that bump to the head that Dust took early will cause him to go dark and turn on Cody in the Rumble later?
Yep, just saw it. Still no "Ass" in the entrance theme. Oh well, at least they won clean. It didn't look like Goldust was turning on Cody at the end of the match. I liked seeing Hacksaw on the pre-show. Enjoy the Rumble AR! I'll catch it next month.

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 27th, 2014, 1:34 am #29

Bray Wyatt wins clean with a sick bump, he hit the Sister Abigail's Kiss on DB outside the ring, driving his head and face into the barricade then hit it a second time in the ring for the 1-2-3. Two clean wins and I'm two for two so far in my predictions!

Americanronin
Board Deity

January 27th, 2014, 2:02 am #30

Brock jumped the Big SHow before the match started, beat the shit out of him with a steel chair, two actually. It was all body shots but still 15 or so add up, Big Show got one punch in and almost knocked Brock out when the bell rang but them Brock put Brock up and walked around with him on his back, before f-5ing Show. After the match he broke both chairs beating Show with them. The pre and post match beatings where both longer than the actual match. It was reported that Show hurt his hand last night at a house show, maybe that's why it was so short and so bad?
The entire point of that was to make Brock as scary as he can be in PG era. It didn't work but that was the point. ANd one reason it didn't work was all body shots, no head shots, no blood. Imagine if he made a giant bleed? Another reason it didn't work was Show getting up and walking it off five minutes later, how hurt is he supposed to be if he can walk back up the ramp on his own?