How to Watch the New Star Trek

News of the Stars, TV & Movie News, Animae

How to Watch the New Star Trek

Shecoda
Advanced Member
Shecoda
Advanced Member

September 25th, 2017, 1:55 am #1

Very easy way to watch. There is delayed gratification though.

This is likely to be a 13-14 episode per season series. It is possible it will have more episodes per season, but this seems the way of tv anymore to follow the BBC short season. Even if it is a longer season my way still works.

Simply wait until the season is over and then take membership with CBS AllAccess for a month. This will only cost you $5.99 with ads or 11.99 without ads.

Enjoy watching.
Definition:
Pareidolia (par-i-DOH-lee-a): The new term for swamp gas

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

September 25th, 2017, 3:25 am #2

Or just sign up and use the one week free trial. Then just watch all of it and cancel for no charge.

I think it's a mistake for CBS to put this show exclusively on their pay for streaming service. I watched the first episode, meh. It's sort of like the relaunched movies but the plot and backstory doesn't seem very strong. Also the opening seemed more James Bond movie style than Star Trek. Just meh. The Orville is better and free!

Also, is it just me or were the alien races in the old Star Treks more well defined? Something with the recent alien looks in the Star Trek movies/tv shows just seems kind of lame compared to the ones in Next Generation/Original.
Put your twinkie in my Nutella, it tastes good. Mallie from Darkness Radio

Shecoda
Advanced Member
Shecoda
Advanced Member

September 25th, 2017, 5:07 pm #3

I am talking about how to watch the whole series, not just the first two episodes. Your way would work but still have to wait for the series to end for the season. It is also possible CBS will make this and other premium shows unavailable for the free week or only allow one or two episodes to be available for the free week.

This is obviously CBS' inducement to take their pay service. If nobody pays they will stop this game, but if lots of people join this will keep happening to their best shows.
Definition:

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

September 25th, 2017, 8:47 pm #4

I haven't seen it but besides the show itself, what about the name?

Of course, it all started with STTOS followed by STTNG and the rest

Now. we have 'Star Trek Discovery'... What's THAT all about?

STD? Oh man. Sounds nasty. Use protection, folks.

Skookum
Board Deity
Skookum
Board Deity

September 25th, 2017, 8:51 pm #5

The Whether Man wrote:I haven't seen it but besides the show itself, what about the name?

Of course, it all started with STTOS followed by STTNG and the rest

Now. we have 'Star Trek Discovery'... What's THAT all about?

STD? Oh man. Sounds nasty. Use protection, folks.

RIP Zetaboards

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

September 25th, 2017, 9:23 pm #6

"Discovery" is the name of the ship.
Don't think about all those things you fear. Just be glad to be here.

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

September 26th, 2017, 12:06 am #7

Sean_ wrote:"Discovery" is the name of the ship.
[+] spoiler
I guess that first ship and Captain got their ass kicked by the Klingons promoting the first officer to Captain of a new vessel. I've never seen that in Star Trek before!

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

September 26th, 2017, 1:00 am #8

gameaddict4life wrote:
Sean_ wrote:"Discovery" is the name of the ship.
[+] spoiler
I guess that first ship and Captain got their ass kicked by the Klingons promoting the first officer to Captain of a new vessel. I've never seen that in Star Trek before!
[+] spoiler
Not to mention she just got sentenced to life in prison. I wonder what twist in the storyline gets her released and command of her own ship.

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

September 27th, 2017, 5:48 am #9

gameaddict4life wrote:I think it's a mistake for CBS to put this show exclusively on their pay for streaming service. I watched the first episode, meh. It's sort of like the relaunched movies but the plot and backstory doesn't seem very strong. Also the opening seemed more James Bond movie style than Star Trek. Just meh. The Orville is better and free!
"What it comes down to is this: With very few changes, 'The Orville' could easily be 'Star Trek.' By contrast, with very few changes, 'Star Trek: Discovery' could easily not be 'Star Trek.'" - PETER DAVID

From Wikipedia: David first began writing Star Trek novels at the request of Pocket Books editor Dave Stern, who was a fan of David's Star Trek comic book work. His Star Trek novels are among those for which he is best known, including Q-in-Law; I, Q; Vendetta; Q-Squared; and Imzadi, one of the best-selling Star Trek novels of all time. He created the ongoing novel series, Star Trek: New Frontier, a spin-off from Star Trek: The Next Generation, with John J. Ordover in 1997.

Shecoda
Advanced Member
Shecoda
Advanced Member

September 29th, 2017, 2:02 am #10

Crave TV is streaming the ST:D in Canada. Netflix is streaming it other than US and Canada. CBS All Access is streaming in US.
Definition:

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

September 29th, 2017, 3:17 am #11

Americans have to pay for weekly STDs.

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

September 29th, 2017, 5:29 am #12

gameaddict4life wrote:Americans have to pay for weekly STDs.
OUCH! Does that include the cost of antibiotics and antivirals??

Shecoda
Advanced Member
Shecoda
Advanced Member

September 29th, 2017, 6:46 am #13

I avoid STDs at all cost.
Definition:

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

September 29th, 2017, 7:15 am #14

The Whether Man wrote:
gameaddict4life wrote:Americans have to pay for weekly STDs.
OUCH! Does that include the cost of antibiotics and antivirals??
Nope. That's extra.

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

September 29th, 2017, 10:30 am #15

Shecoda wrote:I avoid STDs at all cost.
If folks don't avoid it, what if "STD" spreads like wildfire and overtakes the entire franchise - Might we see new takes/reimaginings of old favorites as spinoff tie-ins, like

...ST: Voyeur?

...ST: Deep Space 69?

...ST: The Next Penetration?

...ST: The Search For Sex?

...ST: The Orgasmic Series?

All sponsored by
VULCAN BRAND CONDOMS
When that time in life comes to "seek out strange new places", there's no better way to be prepared

grumpychick
Board Deity

September 29th, 2017, 4:58 pm #16

Shecoda wrote:I avoid STDs at all cost.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." - Katharine Hepburn
"I carried a watermelon." - Frances Houseman
"Everyone deserves the chance to FLY!" - Elphaba Thropp

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

September 29th, 2017, 8:41 pm #17

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

October 1st, 2017, 3:37 am #18

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

October 1st, 2017, 4:56 am #19

The Next Generation design is far superior. Why not just make them a new species? The Boneons or something.

BenSlain
Advanced Member
BenSlain
Advanced Member

October 2nd, 2017, 4:53 am #20

Worst show ever. :(
I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor, insignificant preamble to somethin' else.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

October 2nd, 2017, 4:45 pm #21

BenSlain wrote:Worst show ever. :(
Have you watched The Orville? I swear its more Trek than Trek.

BenSlain
Advanced Member
BenSlain
Advanced Member

October 3rd, 2017, 5:04 am #22

Sean_ wrote:
Yes. I could hardly watch it was so bad. I can find nothing good with it. Whoever scripted the lines seemed like a high school writer. The direction is terrible. Set design, lighting.......yech.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor, insignificant preamble to somethin' else.

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

October 3rd, 2017, 5:40 am #23

Sean_ wrote:
Scott Mendelson: 'The Orville' Is The 'Star Trek' Show Fans Have Been Waiting For

I’ve written at length over the last year about the current contradiction present in the ongoing Star Trek universe. To wit, the recent movies (going back at least to Star Trek: Nemesis and obviously the rebooted continuity) have had to juggle the needs of the many (audiences who crave big-scale blockbuster action) with the needs of the few (hardcore Star Trek fans who prefer more philosophy and less slam-bang spectacle).

The irony is that the movies cost way too much compared to the actual overseas appeal of the Star Trek movies, and said big budgets and Star Wars-ish action beats have gone toward conventional event movie thrills that have turned off the hardcore fans. Even the most recent two-part pilot for CBS All Access’s Star Trek Discovery was arguably a TV-scaled variation of same, offering huge spectacle to plant its flag in the sand.

I bring all of this up because, to my shock and delight, I am officially a big fan of Seth MacFarlane’s The Orville. The sci-fi Fox episodic, which aired its fourth episode last night, was sold as a kind of “Family Guy meets Star Trek” farce, but it’s something a little trickier. The Orville is closer to something like Sports Night set aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise. It’s an optimistic look at good people doing a good job that struggles at being a comedy when it would rather be a drama.

At a glance, Star Trek Discovery may end up being Studio 60 to The Orville’s 30 Rock. The comparison is not related to quality, merely in terms of initial intentions (a very grandiose sci-fi actioner versus a somewhat self-poking workplace comedy).But, four episodes in, I can already argue MacFarlane has ironically given Star Trek fans what they claim to want from the sci-fi property.

By not having a budget (or requirements) for wall-to-wall spectacle, the hour-long Fox show is forced to focus on character, chemistry, sci-fi plotting and moral debates that have partially defined Gene Roddenberry’s property for generations. Being a network TV show, it is forced to be the kind of Star Trek that fans claim the recent movies have neglected in favor of four-quadrant blockbuster thrills.

The Orville is not a spoof, but rather a straight-faced Trek show with characters who are funny and can laugh at funny events. The show has quickly moved away from the broader pitch of Family Guy in space and has quickly become essentially a Star Trek drama with periodic jokes and one-liners. The low-key approach works as a counterpoint to the rough-and-tumble recent movies (and the action-filled Discovery pilot) and offers a core variation on Star Trek.

Optimistic to its core, The Orville is a Star Trek show for folks who want something a bit old-school. I haven’t seen the third episode of Star Trek Discovery, and I frankly don’t wish to make it a competition. The best-case scenario is that the CBS show, with a superb lead in Sonequa Martin-Green, offers high-quality, big-scale Star Trek while Fox’s “homage” offers a more traditional Trek which emphasizes cast chemistry and social issues of the day.

Obviously, The Orville may yet crash and burn, as (presuming a 24-episode season) we’re only one-sixth of the way through, but by ripping off rather than revamping and by being hamstrung by network TV production values and thus putting an emphasis on character and social parable over sci-fi action, it has a pretty good shot at becoming the kind of Star Trek that fans claim to want so badly. I’m hoping this variation indeed lives long and prospers.

FULL ARTICLE

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

October 3rd, 2017, 9:22 am #24

24 episode season? Say what now? Maybe back in the 90s!

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

October 3rd, 2017, 1:36 pm #25

I went in to The Orville expecting it to be a spoof but I was pleasantly surprised. It has good stories with characters that act more like normal people.

Discovery has gone the "Star Wars" route, with this season at least is going to be about a war with the Klingons.

It had me asking myself this question? Is The Orville more Trek than Trek? I have to say yes.

Shecoda
Advanced Member
Shecoda
Advanced Member

October 4th, 2017, 12:03 am #26

Brannon Braga who was a writer and a director on both STNG and Voyager is associated with the Orville in the same capacity.

He was proud of his work on the serious Star Treks and I think the Orville is showing his handiwork off nicely. Because of him, I think the Orville fits into the Star Trek lineup as well as any of the excellent Star Treks.

I missed not having a Star Trek around and the Orville strangely satisfies my craving for an ST series.

I haven't watched Discovery yet and may not at all due to reviews and because the rest of it is on pay tv.
Definition:

gameaddict4life
Board Deity

October 4th, 2017, 1:57 am #27

Sean_ wrote:I went in to The Orville expecting it to be a spoof but I was pleasantly surprised. It has good stories with characters that act more like normal people.

Discovery has gone the "Star Wars" route, with this season at least is going to be about a war with the Klingons.

It had me asking myself this question? Is The Orville more Trek than Trek? I have to say yes.
Based on the preview I thought it was going to be a bad parody but it's turned out to be a great show. I agree.

You can never trust a preview of a show.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

October 5th, 2017, 3:28 pm #28

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

October 5th, 2017, 6:17 pm #29

"Pria", The Orville episode airing on FOX tonight and guest starring Charlize Theron was directed by this guy:

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

October 5th, 2017, 9:07 pm #30

I'll be watching it.