Information: Go to the new place.

Dr. Who (Spoilers!)

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 16th, 2010, 9:03 pm #1

Anyone watch this series? I've been watching this since i was a kid. Well, the earlier ones were really for kids, with the cheesy 1960's special effects that lasted well into the 80's.

The series reboot in 2005 marked a change in the storyline, the effects, and the personality of the Doctor, to a darker, more serious theme that adults could appreciate. I think the series finally grew up to attract the viewers who had already grown up years ago.

I got rehooked on the series when Christopher Eccleston played The Doctor. He had a really dark personality which changed the mood of the series which i think appealed to the adult viewers. Its too bad he quit only after one year.

Then came David Tennant who although was good, i still missed the edginess that Eccleston brought to the Doctor.
I did think Tennant's last episode when he knew was about to die was great. He tied up a lot of loose ends and errors he had previously made.

So this Saturday the new Doctor starts his run and with it a new personality.
Don't think about all those things you fear. Just be glad to be here.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 16th, 2010, 9:07 pm #2

"Doctor Who" returns with usual wit, depth

"Doctor Who" might be the world's most perfect series because it never has to end. (Let's ignore the hiatus in the 1990s.)

Randee Dawn
Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31pm

On the air nonconsecutively since 1963, "Who" comes with a built-in reboot system: a lead whose alien properties allow him to regenerate his body (letting a new actor fill old shoes). So fans who know where to look already will be aware of the Doctor's latest incarnation: He has gone from plucky-yet-worldly-wise David Tennant to bow-tie-wearing goof Matt Smith, who debuts Sunday on BBC America.

Additionally, his traveling time machine, the TARDIS, has been revamped into a steampunker's dream, and his traveling companion has gotten even younger, perhaps to match up with Smith's wide-open, baby face.

There's little to be said about "Who" that fans don't know; for example, they probably know just how the series is going to find a loophole in the Doctor's 13-regeneration limit (Smith is No. 11). But newcomers to the series owe it to themselves to start making this appointment television as it's some of the best-produced, cheekiest and imaginative storytelling on the tube.

It's family-friendly and adult-pleasing, over-the-top and nightmarish, witty and deep all at the same time: "You are not of this world," someone tells the Doctor; the longtime savior of Earth replies, "No, but I've put a lot of work into it."

Hard to tell how Smith's Doctor stands up yet. He spends a long time doing slapstick spit-takes with a child in her kitchen, and easing into the main plot (a spaceship run by a giant eyeball is seeking a prisoner who hides in the girl's home) takes time. But by the time the Doctor's full powers regain strength, Smith finds his feet and summons the menace and authority to make that eyeball blink. In that moment, he becomes the Doctor.

However, there's a dismaying trend away from scary and into silly in the Doctor trend (Christopher Eccleston, the first since the 2005 series re-start, was eccentric and sinister even when laughing). But the fact is, the Brits know how to be self-deprecating and tell a ripping yarn at the same time. Those just now hopping into that big blue box for a trip around space and time are in for a treat, because even when imperfect, "Doctor Who" is always worth keeping your eye on

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63F0EX20100416

Mark
Board Deity
Mark
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 5:20 am #3

...the first Dr. Who I saw was with Christopher Eccleston - the episode when the Doctor and Rose Tyler were in the department store when the mannequins came to life and went homicidal.
Then David Tennant, who is a Shakespearean actor, as I understand it. First CBC carried the show then BBC America. At first, the Britslangy dialogue went so fast I wanted subtitles, but ...I got used to it.
I am amused, and will be avidly watching this season's fare.
Glad you're there with it too, Sean.

9:00 p.m. EST Saturday (today) on BBC America where I live.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 5:34 am #4

Same time here. Different channel.

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 6:32 am #5

Dr. Who!!!

Been watching since Tom Baker. Even went back and watched some of the older series when I had a chance. Thanks for the reminder! I had checked a couple of weeks ago and have been waiting, but had forgotten just when it made a reappearance.

Not sure how it will be with Davies gone, but I usually adjust to each new Doctor and production staff.

Eccleston was marvelous wasn't he? But I liked Tennant too.

Thank heaven the special effects have improved since Baker's day.
My choice? All the way down the rabbit hole.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 6:34 am #6

Navi wrote:Dr. Who!!!

Been watching since Tom Baker. Even went back and watched some of the older series when I had a chance. Thanks for the reminder! I had checked a couple of weeks ago and have been waiting, but had forgotten just when it made a reappearance.

Not sure how it will be with Davies gone, but I usually adjust to each new Doctor and production staff.

Eccleston was marvelous wasn't he? But I liked Tennant too.

Thank heaven the special effects have improved since Baker's day.
Oh man ya! If it wasn't for Baker's unique eccentricity the show would of been unbearable. How long did he play Dr. Who? 11? 14 years? Something like that.

circledancer
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 12:20 pm #7

Saw it as a kid in Britain, John Pertwee I think was the Doctor then, Was spellbound by the Tartus and the concept of dimension, hated the Dialecs and generally could not wait for the next episode, which, by the way was followed by the original Batman series.......Oh the innocence of the 60's

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 3:03 pm #8

Now you got me Sean. I had to look Tom Baker up in wikipedia. 7 years.

My long term memory = sieve.

And I can't imagine how cool it must have been to live in GB and see Jon Pertwee as the Doctor. Lucky circledancer!

Guess I'd better set the machine to record too. Never know when something will come up and poof! you miss the show.

Mark
Board Deity
Mark
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 5:58 pm #9

Do you want fries with that?

...sorry
maybe he'll look older in a suit.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 17th, 2010, 7:18 pm #10

Navi wrote:Now you got me Sean. I had to look Tom Baker up in wikipedia. 7 years.

My long term memory = sieve.

And I can't imagine how cool it must have been to live in GB and see Jon Pertwee as the Doctor. Lucky circledancer!

Guess I'd better set the machine to record too. Never know when something will come up and poof! you miss the show.
Only seven years! It seemed like a lot longer.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 18th, 2010, 1:05 pm #11

Well? What did you think?

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

April 19th, 2010, 6:56 am #12

Sean_ wrote:Well? What did you think?

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

Haven't watched yet. Recorded it because my son wanted to watch something else. It is so rare for him to watch TV in the living room with me that I recorded the show and watched the show he wanted to watch.
Will watch it later, maybe later today.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 19th, 2010, 7:31 am #13

Navi wrote:

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

Haven't watched yet. Recorded it because my son wanted to watch something else. It is so rare for him to watch TV in the living room with me that I recorded the show and watched the show he wanted to watch.
I didn't provide any details just in case some one didn't watch it yet.

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

April 19th, 2010, 3:42 pm #14

Sean_ wrote:
Navi wrote:

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

I didn't provide any details just in case some one didn't watch it yet.
Yes I noticed. Thank you for that.

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

April 20th, 2010, 5:56 am #15

Watched it tonight.
I think it's gong to be a good series this season!

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 20th, 2010, 6:01 am #16

Navi wrote:Watched it tonight.
I think it's gong to be a good series this season!
You liked it too eh.

I don't really want to talk about it yet until Mark checks in.

Mark
Board Deity
Mark
Board Deity

April 20th, 2010, 5:09 pm #17

Missed the middle third having been grabbed by the Magick Chair and whisked away to sleep.
However, what I did see was o.k. I'll probably watch the show this season.
The "snake-creature that came down from the ceiling behind what's-her-name" scene was a blatant rip-off from Alien/the movie...
And the eyeball in the sky reminded me of you, Sean, how you see everything...heh
No offence.

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

April 20th, 2010, 6:21 pm #18

Mark wrote:Missed the middle third having been grabbed by the Magick Chair and whisked away to sleep.
However, what I did see was o.k. I'll probably watch the show this season.
The "snake-creature that came down from the ceiling behind what's-her-name" scene was a blatant rip-off from Alien/the movie...
And the eyeball in the sky reminded me of you, Sean, how you see everything...heh
No offence.

Prisoner Zero! Perhaps Prisoner Zero borrowed the Alien image from someone's fertile unconscious.

Still, I enjoyed the show. I am waiting to see more. The regenerated Doctors usually grow on me.

It looks like Moffat will incorporate some of the stuff from his previous scripts, like Blink, in upcoming shows. Knowing that he wrote scripts during Davies tenure gives me a bit more confidence in what is to come.

What do you think of the reworked theme song? Or was it just for this first show of the season?

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 20th, 2010, 8:03 pm #19

I thought the Alien itself was a little weak, for lack of a better word. It really didn't do much. But i think this episode was more about introducing us to the new Doctor and his companion, Amy. His personality, his idiocracies, his wackiness. Bluntly put.

A lot of good one liners too.

"You are not of this world."

"No, but i put a lot of work into it."

That whole discourse near the end between the Doctor and the giant "eyeball" i thought was great. The doctor made it clear to them that he wasn't some one you would want to tangle with.

"Hello. I'm the Doctor......Basically. RUN"

"Are you from another planet?!"

"Yea"

"I grew up"

"Don't worry, i'll soon fix that."

"I am definitely a madman with a box"

Yep. He sure is.

I think the chemistry between The Doctor and his new companion, Amy, is good.

The story was so fast paced as to be almost hectic. At the end i hadn't even noticed that an hour an a half had gone by. I felt that i had been taken on a ride. In a good way.

I think i'm going to like this Doctor.

Oh yea. The intro(theme). Yes they messed with it again. I wish they would leave it alone.

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

April 24th, 2010, 1:23 am #20

The Curse of Fatal Death

TIME LORDS DO COMEDY RELIEF
In a Superb Spoof of Doctor Who : TOS
Featuring Jonathan Pryce as The Master
And ROWAN ATKINSON as The Doctor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

Dialup Links: (in Real Video)
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 24th, 2010, 2:26 am #21

Here's some of the real stuff. A little teaser for those of you that haven't seen it. Yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrzC_KYYtIg

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 25th, 2010, 4:46 am #22

Saw the second episode today. "The Beast Below"

Think premier episode of Star Trek TNG.

Amy proves her "worthiness".

The Whether Man
Advanced Member
The Whether Man
Advanced Member

April 26th, 2010, 9:01 pm #23

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

April 27th, 2010, 5:07 am #24

A scene from the first episode.

"Basically.........RUN"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUxHJnTiuS4

Morgana
Board Deity
Morgana
Board Deity

May 3rd, 2010, 1:25 am #25

OK just watched the first episode from the current season. I did like it. Will try to catch up with the episodes. Loved Amelia Pond, the little girl. Was rather funny when everyone who knew her, knew who the Dr. was when they saw him. "Is this the rabbity Dr.?" Too funny. I think I would like to see the earlier shows too. TV shack has 5 seasons on it and this is season 5. This is the first one with the new Dr., so would like to see the others too. Good show.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Lady Cathryn Collins
Board Deity

May 3rd, 2010, 5:16 am #26

Morgana wrote:OK just watched the first episode from the current season. I did like it. Will try to catch up with the episodes. Loved Amelia Pond, the little girl. Was rather funny when everyone who knew her, knew who the Dr. was when they saw him. "Is this the rabbity Dr.?" Too funny. I think I would like to see the earlier shows too. TV shack has 5 seasons on it and this is season 5. This is the first one with the new Dr., so would like to see the others too. Good show.
I watched this one and the sec story this evening on the free BBCA On Demand. Story 3 is there too. Will catch it in a few days.

Don't know what to think..

Not the original Doctor Who series I have loved for so long.

Like I said. Just don't know what to really think..

One thing I am very sure about tho..

This actor is just too young. He looks it and acts it.

Sorry, just how I see this whole new series. (And I do mean from Chris E to current.

New Collinsport Isle

"If we do not learn to live together.
We will have to learn to die together.." ~~ JFK Quote.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

May 3rd, 2010, 5:25 am #27

Morgana wrote:OK just watched the first episode from the current season. I did like it. Will try to catch up with the episodes. Loved Amelia Pond, the little girl. Was rather funny when everyone who knew her, knew who the Dr. was when they saw him. "Is this the rabbity Dr.?" Too funny. I think I would like to see the earlier shows too. TV shack has 5 seasons on it and this is season 5. This is the first one with the new Dr., so would like to see the others too. Good show.
Glad you enjoyed it. So did I. A lot of great one liners. I think Matt Smith makes a good Doctor.

I think they were saying "raggedy". I know sometimes with the accents its hard to catch.

Sean_
Board Deity
Sean_
Board Deity

May 3rd, 2010, 5:52 am #28

Lady Cathryn Collins wrote:
I watched this one and the sec story this evening on the free BBCA On Demand. Story 3 is there too. Will catch it in a few days.

Don't know what to think..

Not the original Doctor Who series I have loved for so long.

Like I said. Just don't know what to really think..

One thing I am very sure about tho..

This actor is just too young. He looks it and acts it.

Sorry, just how I see this whole new series. (And I do mean from Chris E to current.
The one inevitability of Doctor Who is you know the Doctor will change one day. If it wasn't for that variable the Doctor Who TV series would of ended long long ago. Actors tend not to want to do the same thing forever and move on. Its a great idea they came up with. When the actor quits they just have him die and regenerate.

How old are the Dr. Who shows you like? 30? 40 years? How many tv shows that you know of have lasted that long? Probably none. I can't think of any.

I used to watch this as a kid and 40 years later i'm still watching it. Its the only show that i can say that about. And its not the tired old episodes that have been on over and over again. (Think Star Trek TOS. I have seen them so many times i don't even bother anymore.)

This show is fresh and it stays fresh, and one of the major reasons why is that they change the lead actor and his companion. Having new actors playing the roles attracts the newer generations. This show could possibly go on as long as television exists.

I have to disagree with you on Matt Smith. It wasn't long into the premier episode that a decided i liked him. His wackiness is reminiscent of Tom Baker, but with a more youthful twist. He's the crazy genius that i think a great Doctor needs to be.

"Hello, I'm the Doctor. Basically................RUN."

Great line. He's wacky, a little bit nuts, a genius, and just a little bit arrogant. But you don't want to tangle with this guy. You'll be sorry.

Morgana
Board Deity
Morgana
Board Deity

May 3rd, 2010, 9:18 am #29

OK I thought they were saying rabbitty, because he looked kind of like a rabbit. That is a term I have heard before. So, thought that is what they were saying from the pics that Amy drew of him. Could have been raggedy, I suppose.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Navi
Board Deity
Navi
Board Deity

May 3rd, 2010, 9:36 am #30

Watched the Beast Below and am really beginning to like this new Dr. I have the most recent Dalek one taped but am waiting to watch it, maybe tomorrow.

It's going to be a good run.

At first the Dr.'s youth bothered me, but then I realized that at my age almost everyone on these shows is way younger than I am, so I'd just better get used to it.

I really like him. He's one zany guy! And his new traveling companion is great too!

It will take me a little while to get used to the new writers and the new cast, but this show usually ages well, like a good wine or cheese, so I expect it to mature as it progresses. Can't wait to take the ride!