Tower Down: Tampa Bay, Fl. 02-15-16

Not associated with a Florida association at this time.
nattow
- - -
- - -

February 18th, 2016, 4:10 pm #21

Good morning all,

Thank you for your heartfelt condolences.  This is a dangerous career we have chosen but a full filling one also.  The funeral/memorial arrangements are being worked on and I should know something early this afternoon.  Roger was new to our brotherhood and had already been "hooked".  You all can reach me at any time @ 727-444-3911 (for talking) or 727-410-2911 (for texting/pic only).

take care & be safe, ginger  

boltz
-
-

February 19th, 2016, 8:07 pm #22

Thoughts and prayers to those involved.

cdntowguy
450+ Posts
cdntowguy
450+ Posts

February 20th, 2016, 12:58 am #23

Deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and friends

Steve in Ottawa

nattow
- - -
- - -

February 20th, 2016, 1:16 am #24

2-18-16                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Hello all,
   This is the funeral/memorial information for our recent passing of a member of our brotherhood, Rogelio “Roger” Perez Borroto.  Roger was a tow operator from Lou’s Total Car Care in Tampa, FL who was killed in the line of duty on the Howard Franklin Bridge on 2-15-2016 around 2:22 AM by a hit and run driver.
   The “Life  Celebration” will be held this coming Saturday, February 20,2016  5 PM -8 PM at the Boza and Roel Funeral Home 4730 N Armenia  Ave, Tampa, FL 33606. Although the family wishes are that for the service to be somewhat private to the immediate family & extended friends, they welcome our brotherhood to attend.  It will be nice to keep this low-key.  Due to the time of night that the service is scheduled to end, we WILL NOT be doing a Tow Truck Procession. Unfortunately at 8pm or so, in the dark, our procession will not be visibly able to be seen & understood by the motoring public.  Add to that the safety factor of a large group of us taking over the roadways at night.  The family has requested that there be NO media present.  I will be notifying them this afternoon.  This information comes to me from Mr. Lou Moralez  owner/co-worker of Lou’s Total Car Care.
  As mentioned above, due to the time of the service we will be unable to do our normal Tow Truck Funeral Procession, HOWEVER,WE WILL BE DOING A MEMORIAL FOR ROGER ON SUNDAY FEBRUARY 28, 2016. What is being planned may have to be readjusted but for now this is what I feel would be a very respectful showing.  The current plan is; we will meet at on the Pinellas county side at the start of the eastbound lanes of the Howard Franklin Bridge .  We will have a staging area prior to the bridge where everyone can sign in, get arm/truck ribbons etc and them move out to the bridge. My plan is to have Lou’s trucks 1st in line and to have them park at the spot where Roger was killed, leaving a space for Rodger, then we will all line up behind them back to the beginning of the bridge. This would also help us bring attention to the Move Over Law.  BUT VERY POSSIBLY WE MIGHT RUN INTO A SAFETY/LIABILITY ISSUE WITH THE TOW TRUCKS STANDING ON THE SIDE OF THE BRIDGE.  SO we may just leave out of the check-in area in formation driving at a low speed and briefly acknowledging Roger as we pass by where he was killed.  (HAD SHE OBEYED THE “MOVE OVER LAW” THIS WOULD NOT BE A CONSERVATION. IT’S THAT SIMPLE) and then travel as a group to Rogers house and proceed to pay our respects by pausing lights off, tapping the horn and acknowledging Roger. As we pull away from the house we will travel on to Lou’s Total Car Care shop for a gathering of comradery and fellowship.  Lou will be providing pizza’s, sodas, finger sandwiches and if you would possibly be able to  bring a covered dish (they will keep in a cooler or one of those bags you carry chilled food in while we are on the bridge), paper products, drinks or whatever this would be helpful.
  There were phone calls  & some posting on F/B earlier today about everyone meeting at Lou’s on Saturday at 4 PM and then going over as a large group.  Basically now if you are going to the service then just meet over there.  IF this changes I will let you all know.
If you have any questions call me at 727-444-3911 or text me at 727-410-2911 ( please don’t call on this #).

I WILL UPDATE YOU ALL BY THIS SUNDAY OR MONDAY FOR THE FEBRUARY 28TH EVENT ABOUT WHAT WE ARE ACTUALLY DOING, COMPLETE WITH THE TIME, LOCATION AND ALL ADDRESS NEEDED. 

take care & be safe, ginger @ Nationwide Towing Clearwater, FL

nattow
- - -
- - -

February 25th, 2016, 2:03 pm #25

THIS IS THE INFO FOR THE TOW TRUCK "RIDE" ON SUNDAY FEB 28TH IN MEMORY OF ROGER PEREZ BORROTO, WHO WAS HIT & KILLED 2-15-16 ON THE HOWARD FRANKLIN BRIDGE TAMPA, FL BY A HIT & RUN DRIVER. This is a bit lengthy (ya all know me) but all important for anyone coming. l would appreciate it if you would email or text me or send me a message thru f/b if your coming just so i can get a idea fo how many.
RIDE FOR ROGER

On Sunday February 28, 2016 we are having a “Ride for Roger” tow truck drive to memorialize Roger Perez Borrotto, 43, who was killed in the line of duty 2-15-16 @ around 2am, while he was loading a vehicle onto his flatbed tow truck on the Howard Franklin Bridge (Tampa, FL) by a hit & run driver.
We will also be prompting the MOVER OVER LAW during this ride. There will be TV and newspaper reporters as well as Chris Fiffie (Orlando, FL) from “Big Rig Videos” (on f/b). Rogers family appreciates this opportunity to help BRING AWARNESS THE MOTORING PUBLIC of the MOVE OVER LAW and of IT’S IMPORTANCE. Feel free to talk to these reporters to help spread the word. Remember you might be taped/recorded.
The family will also be here and would like to ride along in the tow trucks. Please let me know who has room for a family member or friend to ride in. This will be a difficult time for them, so please be mindful of what you say.
WHAT WE ARE DOING;
A drive (TOW TRUCKS, COMPANY SERVICE TRUCKS 1st & THEN ANY OTHER CARS, MOTORCYCLES ETC, AFTER THE TOW TRUCKS) across the Howard Franklin Bridge (I-275) in the right hand lane, passing the location of where Roger was killed, then continuing and going onto the Veterans’ Expressway (a toll road but you DO NOT stop and pay, if you have a Sunpass, good, if not you will receive a bill in the mail in about 1 month, approximate $2-4) then going north to Waters Ave exiting to the west, traveling to Rogers house, 8105 Greenshire Dr Tampa 33634 (plenty of room for all trucks) and doing our traditional paying of respects as we pause at Roger’s house. This will be detailed in the Information sheet you receive at the check-in table. After leaving Roger’s house we will drive to Lou’s Total Care Care 8317 Rustic Dr Tampa 33634 and share some time eating, visiting, comradery and further memorializing Roger. Lou will be supplying pizza, sandwiches and soda. If you would like you could bring a covered dish (the food will keep in coolers or insulated bags & the weather might go up to 68 degrees), or maybe someone could might paper products, let me know please. I suggest if you bring food try to bring it in disposable containers so that nothing gets broken or left behind accidently. IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BRING ANY FOOD BUT IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
A SIDE NOTE.
THIS IS NOT A FUNERAL PROCESSION (as usually done), IT IS NOT A PARADE. THIS IS A SUNDAY RIDE TO HONOR & PAY SOLIDARTY TO OUR FALLEN BROTHER AND THEN A COMRADERY/GATHERING OF BROTHERHOOD. After we cross the bridge and travel on to Roger’s home and the shop we PROBABLY will become separated to a point. This is OK. We will be tightly together coming across the bridge to show solidarity for Roger but then after the bridge, during the rest of the drive due to traffic, lane changing, some companies unfamiliar with the area and such we might not be able to stay together. Remember traffic/motoring public eyes will be upon us. Tow Timess will be provided with your information sheet at the check-in table.
PLEASE KEEP SAFETY IN MIND. IF YOU CAN BRING A EXTRA SAFETY VEST IN CASE WE NEED THEM PLEASE DO SO (put your name & ph# on the inside so we can get them back to you if needed.).

HOW TO GET TO THE LINE UP LOCATION;
FROM TAMPA---- I-4, I-75, Jacksonville, north or east Florida, travel to I-275 south heading towards St Petersburg, cross over the Howard Franklin Bridge go to exit #30 (Roosevelt Blvd or 686) exit to the right, KEEP TO THE RIGHT & then at the 2ND SPLIT GO STRAIGHT approach Roosevelt Blvd (686)-- SHORT DISTANCE-- turning left or south on to it (no light here). Follow in the left lane, crossing Doctor M.L.K. Jr and follow to Gandy Blvd ( A BIT OF CONSTRUCTION) turn left or east, stay in left lane (unless construction has changed it a bit). At the next light 4stN (687) turn left or north and follow up app 1.2 miles passing 119th Ave. watch to your right for us. DO NOT GO OVER THE LITTLE BRIDGE AT THE NORTH OR BEACH END OF 4TH. IF YOU DO YOU HAVE TO GO ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE HOWARD FRANKLIN AND TURN AROUND, BIG PAIN.
FROM THE SOUTH--- the Skyway, I-275, I-75, Naples Bradenton, Miami, southern Florida, travel to I-275 northbound. Exit at Exit #30, bear to the right at the SPLIT, keep to the right, enter onto Roosevelt Blvd (686) travel in the left lane, crossing Doctor M.L.K. Jr , follow to Gandy Blvd ( A BIT OF CONSTRUCTION) turn left or east, stay in the left lane (unless construction has changed it a bit). At the next light 4stN turn left or north and follow up app 1.2 miles passing 119th Ave watch to your right for us. DO NOT GO OVER THE LITTLE BRIDGE AT THE NORTH OR BEACH END OF 4TH ST. IF YOU DO YOU HAVE TO CROSS THE HOWARD FRANKLIN BRIDGE AND TURN AROUND, BIG PAIN.

We will meet starting at 10:30AM on the north end of 4stN (approximately ½ mile north of 119th Ave, which is north of Gandy Blvd) in St. Petersburg, FL ( St Pete to some) . As you come up 4th St N, passing the last apt complex on your right at 119 th Ave pull off to your right when you start seeing trucks. BE CAFEFUL WATCHING SO YOU DON’T GO OVER THE LITTLE BRIDGE LEADING ONTO THE HOWARD FRANKLIN, IF YOU DO SO YOU HAVE TO DRIVE OVER THE BRIDGE INTO TAMPA AND TURNAROUND TO GET BACK TO US. WATCH FOR THE BEACONS. We will line up with the 1st trucks being from Lou’s Total Car Care Tampa, FL. Then after these trucks will be all of the towing companies from Hillsborough County, my truck & then the rest of the trucks coming. We will line from the beach end (north end) of 4th stN, back to 119th Ave. There is plenty of room on the grass alongside the road of 4st N. In parts of this area several trucks can park side by side. PLEASE WATCH OUT NOT TO GET TOO CLOSE TO THE BUSHES AS SOMETIMES THE GRASS GETS MUSHY. When you arrive please safely walk up (with safety vests on if not in ANSI clothing) to the beginning of the line up and look for a table that has a safety lime green sign on the front of it saying” check-in”. PLEASE DO THIS 1ST. At the table you will sign in (your name, company name, your ph#, company ph# and email address). Please try to bring a business card for us to be able to contact you/the company to thank them for participating and future events. You will be given black armbands, black ribbons for your truck and a information sheet for the “Ride for Roger” drive route, procedures and various IMPORTANT details. We will also have a container for donations (100% goes to the family for their needs) and a card or two to sign.
There will be an IMPORTANT drivers meeting @ 11:30am at the check in table and then we will leave out at app 12:00 noon. This meeting will recap the route; answer any questions and what we are doing through the drive route. Please watch the time as there will be a lot of activity here (visiting, checking out trucks, seeing friends and such).

I would appreciate any volunteers to help at the check in table, seeing to it that drivers/companies are properly checked-in, info sheets are handed out as they check in, ribbons PUT on the trucks, armbands are put on everyone & a medium or a heavy at the end of the line up of the trucks to block when we start to pull out. I realize that there will be children here, we are families too, BUT PLEASE KEEP A TIGHT WATCH ON THEM. As you get close to the line up if you need a nature call there is a gas station at 4thst N & Gandy Blvd and a few places on the left as you head up 4th towards the line up. There are NO portable pottys at the line up area and once we leave to start the ride over the HF bridge nothing until after you get to the Tampa side. Bushes not available either (sic)!!

If you have any questions please call me Ginger, Nationwide Towing @ 727-444-3911 or text me @ 727-410-2911 (please do not call me on this # and if you need to contact me right away CALL ME, I can not always hear the text ring tone) or email me at nattow1981@yahoo.com , try to remember that I am towing, not in the office so let the phone ring it will be answered.
THANK YOU ALL, OUR BROTHERHOOD IS STRONG

take care & be safe, ginger

CommentShare

sheetstowing
100+ Posts
sheetstowing
100+ Posts

March 21st, 2016, 8:16 am #26

Thoughts and prayers for the family during this difficult time.

TowZone
15,000+ Posts
TowZone
15,000+ Posts

June 2nd, 2018, 4:07 pm #27