someotherplace
2,000+ Posts
2,000+ Posts

January 2nd, 2017, 5:26 pm #11

The WM skate plastic material *seems* flexible enough that it could take some beating, as Jef said, as long as it's not very cold out. I'd almost be tempted to say you could maybe smack them with a small sledgehammer, too...but consider it at your own risk!

I kick mine as hard as I reasonably can without risking damage to my foot! But I'm also in a hurry (PPI) and can't make a bunch of noise like you would actually hammering them with anything.

I also find that preloading the tires away from the direction you want to pull it helps. Obviously only works when you're talking about lifting one end with the wheel lift, not a skates-on-all-fours situation. I lift one end, extend slightly to push the vehicle away from the unit forcing the contact patch of the tires forward, then kick the skates under and then retract.

Richard

January 6th, 2017, 1:52 am #12

Harbor freight Plastic dead blow hammer, use it all the time on WM skates

central4
550+ Posts
central4
550+ Posts

January 29th, 2017, 9:07 am #13

I use the ITI skates. I use one skate as a hammer to knock the first one under the tyre, then I kick the second one under. Obviously I wear steel toe boots.
karl

N2towing
25+ Posts
N2towing
25+ Posts

March 16th, 2017, 4:25 pm #14

75tow wrote:
Has anyone used skates on a nonsmooth aluminum deck with ridges. Do they still work well?
We had problems with the "softer material" skates not sliding on unload.  The harder material ones have worked best.  We recently have gone to the Collins carrier dolly for vehicles that wont roll. WAY EASIER than skates

Andys08Towing
100+ Posts

April 16th, 2017, 3:51 pm #15

Very versatile tool to have, they do hold up well and I believe most pairs last a few years as long as drivers are responsible and don't lose them.

REDD2
- - -
- - -

April 17th, 2017, 5:50 pm #16

I have tried skates from wreckmaster and some other brands but the best I have ever used was from ITI

Rodney P
- - - -
- - - -

January 23rd, 2018, 2:28 am #17

central4 wrote: I use the ITI skates. I use one skate as a hammer to knock the first one under the tyre, then I kick the second one under. Obviously I wear steel toe boots.
The ITI Skates are designed to be driven under the tire with at least a 6# sledge, they will take the abuse. When I invented and brought the “skate” to the Towing industry I created a product knowing how and by whom it would used , having been in the industry since 1970. 

Rodney P
- - - -
- - - -

January 23rd, 2018, 2:43 am #18

2000intow wrote: What do you guys find is the best way to load a car on these skates? Seems like if I try to beat them under the drive tire, you cant get it all the way and as soon as you pull on the vehicle some it kicks the skate out. If I can get my deck to the tire I use that to push skates under....
6# sledge on the ITI Skates, The B/A Skates that are the same color as the ITI Skates are the same product as the ITI Skates. We at ITI private label for a few companies. They will have an ITI stamp on the same side as the recycle stamp.