After the March "test-fit" visit; we had about a month to get everything built. I had already done a lot of preparation by having the patterns for the laser cutting ready go and also we got going on the electronics. I had the laser cut parts within days and had the electronics for the helm control panel and center section ready within 2 weeks. For this segment I will focus on the helm control panel and here is a quick history of it; after the first season it was changed to a small control panel which had 6 columns of 5 lights. The helm computer for the first season was removed (to make room for the scanner) and the electronics (the blinking lights) were installed under the helm control panel giving it a cool pattern of changing lights. When it was time to film "The Doomsday Machine" they had to have a flashing light to show the hangar bay doors were opening so instead of messing around with the installed blinking lights they simply drilled new holes in the console top below the control panel and expanded the control panel to 6 columns of 6 rows which is how it stayed for the rest of the series.
So, I wanted to replicate exactly what we saw in the series so the electronics we made basically were for the flashing lights in the top 5 rows. We only saw the one flashing light on the bottom row so for the replacement control panel we have the bottom light flash for 5 seconds every 2 mins which simulates what was seen in both "The Doomsday Machine" and "Mirror, Mirror". As I mentioned earlier, we were not allowed to attach anything to the console so the replacement control panel was made to simply slide into place. Inside I made a grid to separate the LEDs from one another and had one LED connected to a wire which we weaved under the console top through the hole back into the control panel for the bottom blinking light. One other note is that on the original control panel apparently the heat from the lights weakened the glue causing the resin bits to fall off so the control panel was seen with many different colored resin lights. I made it to reflect how it looked in the last episode of the series.
Here is the early second season smaller control panel which was replaced with a larger control panel after the first few episodes of the season
Here is the larger control panel with the bottom row of flashing lights (actually only 1 ever really flashed in the show)
Here is a photo of the top of the helm showing the cut-out for the original control panel and the extra holes drilled below for the flashing light on the larger control panel
Here is the back inside of the control panel I built for the console. Notice the dividers between the holes in the plexi to isolate the blinking lights from each other. Also, notice the bottom row is not included in the box. That is because the box portion had to slide into the existing holes and the bottom row had to line up with the holes drilled into the console.
Here is the back with the electronics installed.
Here is the finished piece. The blue tape you see is holding down the one flashing light that would have to be routed through the hole in the console top. Also, you can see the power cord which was a standard USB connection. In fact, ALL of the components were "plug-and-play" and were simply plugged into a USB hub which powered the entire console with the exception of the astrogator. In this photo notice that the bottom row of resin lights are drilled out but none of the others; just like the original control panel!
Here is the completed control panel in operation.
Here is a view from under the console looking up towards the control panel once it was installed. You can see the colored resin buttons through the round holes in the console top and plexi. Also notice the one light on the bottom and the glue next to it which is original; possibly from the original light that was there. The gray area to the right is the housing with the motors for the pop-up scanner. You can also see the wire for the lighted hood near the bottom.