PSA: Harbor Freight Powder Coating Oven

Discussion of various equipment distributors.

PSA: Harbor Freight Powder Coating Oven

JT Metalworks
Advanced Member
JT Metalworks
Advanced Member

06 Sep 2008, 21:51 #1

I just picked up one of these ovens for $50 last night and didn't have the means to test it prior to purchase. Got it home, and it wouldn't power up, so I pulled the cover off the bottom to find a crunch blackened neutral input lead.

From what I can tell, the screw wasn't tight enough on the terminal due to under sized wiring off the terminal strip (which also is the epitome of India electronics components: i.e., crap! - which is where these ovens are made).

If you own one of these, you'd be wise to inspect the connections.

I got the oven as a stop gap measure to appease some of my customers who are BEGGING me for powder coating their stuff. I'll still only have $60 into it after the needed repairs/rework, so I'm not bothered by it at this point. That would be rather different had I spent the $350 asking price of retail. If it didn't need a cabinet made, I would've been better off with a curbside supplied unit. Right now, this was supposed to be plug and play. So much for that. At least it's a simple fix.

Pics later, we're headed out to eat.

storts1
Advanced Member
storts1
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2008, 14:59 #2

Jim,How big a Oven,and doesnt they eat alot of Juice,Thanks,Jack????? :D

JT Metalworks
Advanced Member
JT Metalworks
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2008, 18:49 #3

This thing is 18x18x17" inside. The current consumption is pretty low @13A, but since it's 120v, the temp rise time according to the manual (as I haven't fixed it yet) is downright pathetic. So since it will take entirely too long to come up to temp, and recover from temp loss once the door is opened (making production batches impossibly slow), I'm not keeping it.

I'll be selling this on CL as soon as I get it functional again. I probably won't even do any parts in it first.

I have 2 additional 50A 240V outlets in the shop and garage for plugging in a big oven. I was hoping this would fill the void till I got around to building one, but that's not the case. I can't say I'm all that surprised either.

storts1
Advanced Member
storts1
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2008, 20:49 #4

Jim,Thats what i was wondering? dont you want to do some rims in there?

110,wow,start at 2 am,might be ready,But for 50 bucks,Its still a Money maker! :D :D

JT Metalworks
Advanced Member
JT Metalworks
Advanced Member

08 Sep 2008, 21:00 #5

Yeah, rims are possibly a big money maker. The local shops want $75 each. The powder is hardly quantifiable for the amount they need to cover one (fractions of an ounce) and the electrical consumption is on the order of a quarter an hour. So for a little bit of spray time and just loading it in and waiting for it to wet out, there's some good cash potential.

egon
Advanced Member
egon
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2008, 15:16 #6

Just how high a temperature is required? :D
Egon

Old skin bag full of bones

JT Metalworks
Advanced Member
JT Metalworks
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2008, 16:57 #7

It depends on the powder, but typically 375-425F. Nothing too difficult to produce.

I have a double oven coming from a neighbor down the street as soon as he rescues it from the "free" recycling city his mom lives in. I told him I wanted the elements out of it, then 2 days later he says it's gone... If that oven doesn't come back (he now said he's going to deliver it later this week - even though he's only 5 houses down), I hope he never needs any help. lol

I already got the satellite dish he didn't want, and the satellite switch he didn't want (worth about $120, and will work with our service). So I don't know why he thought when I said I would take something he didn't believe me. Although, I can appreciate his desire to get it out of his garage. But if he was that hell-bent on getting it out, I'm a whole lot closer than driving it to his moms. :rolleyes:

Franz©
Advanced Member
Franz©
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2008, 17:56 #8

Have you looked into a used food service oven JT? Around here the market for used equipment has hit bottom because so many geniuses will buy wonderful new offshore equipment on ePay. It's funny as hell watching a few flunkeys try getting an oven the size of a large coke machine off a truck and then realize they can't get it thru the door. I watched one sit on the sidewalk for 2 weeks with a blue tarp over it till somebody scrapped it for the owner.
Deposed Dictator, still in posession of the treasury
This message was composed entirely from recycled words and phrases using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources. No trees or whales died in the process.

JT Metalworks
Advanced Member
JT Metalworks
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2008, 18:39 #9

The stuff I've been seeing isn't the right shape to fit in the space I want it to occupy. The stuff moderately close has all been over priced.

3ph wiring also scares a lot of people off. What they don't understand is that a resistor doesn't know what 3ph is. I could understand if the voltage was off, then you might have problems with getting enough force to push the current, but I doubt that's even a problem because it wouldn't make sense to make high voltage elements and low, you'd just wire up the high voltage models in series.

egon
Advanced Member
egon
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2008, 18:47 #10

Well heck, that is just nice cooking temperatures. Seems to me we need a design team here as it could be assumed you would want a oven large enough for wheel rims etc.

Now I am going to suggest we start with a box made from galvanized metal to a little larger than the required dimensions. Then build a liner box out of whatever and fill the cavity with ceramic cement. The cement will hold heat and make production runs possible.

Franz will let you know how to hook up and control the elements.

Or go with a galvanized box and wrap the outside with the expensive high temperature insulation. [Can't remember the name of it]

There is a thread on a boat building site where a fellow built a furnace for melting bronze. If I can find it I'll attach directions. It's not nearly as large as what you are looking for but may give you some ideas. :D
http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthr ... ble&page=2
Egon

JT Metalworks
Advanced Member
JT Metalworks
Advanced Member

09 Sep 2008, 19:08 #11

Egon, I don't need a stinking design committee...

I need some time to do it. I'm a full time student (again), have a house to finish remodeling, have wife to keep happy, a kid to raise, and a business to run.

This is the last oven I built:

http://www.veeco.com/pdfs/datasheets/su ... ti_340.pdf

1600C :P

Franz©
Advanced Member
Franz©
Advanced Member

10 Sep 2008, 02:26 #12

Actually, if JT wasn't so lazy, he could cut the insul;ation cost considerably by casting his own in place using vermiculite concrete. He could even add sawdust to the mix and let it cook off outside and smoke the neighborhood up for higher efficiency insulation.

Laundry dryer heaters would probably me more efficient on energy than oven elements.

Now, if we have a design team, we'll need to have working lunches, and a secretary. If we let Storts on the design team the conference room will need to meet ventilation requirements cause Jack farts like a damn volcano.
This message was composed entirely from recycled words and phrases using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources. No trees or whales died in the process.

JT Metalworks
Advanced Member
JT Metalworks
Advanced Member

10 Sep 2008, 05:23 #13

Mmmm anyone want some extra tasty crispy?

Franz©
Advanced Member
Franz©
Advanced Member

10 Sep 2008, 06:20 #14

Lets not be nasty JT, after all the 9 year old assembler did have to make quota so he could get some fried rat for supper.

If he's really good he can work his way up to building welders for Thermal Dynamics or HoFart.

Harbour Frright, bringing America the crap Americans won't make themselves.

egon
Advanced Member
egon
Advanced Member

10 Sep 2008, 10:27 #15

I see Franz has the "Committee thing" well in hand and has obviously been on them before! :D

The low density concrete Franz has described would be a real good deal! :D And heck, dryer heating elements are not very expensive. I would donate sawdust but the shipping costs would be inordinate. :(

I'm sure JT could assemble a really nice powder coat oven from inexpensive items with no problems. He'd be able to do it in his spare time too. Best of all he could custom build to suit the shape of some of the items he needs to coat. IE: tire rims he did mention! :D
Egon