Similar series?

Lithog
Lithog

Dec 21 2015, 11:13 PM #1

Other than Fushigi Yuugi of course..

akacsoki

Dec 22 2015, 04:04 PM #2

After i finished AnY anime, i did some research, to find something as cool as AnY, but of course, i coudn't... altought, i did find some good stuff, maybe you will find some of them interesting, too.

Hakuouki (it's about shinsengumi, with some demons in it)
Brave 10 (it is pretty short, but it's promising)
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (just started it, but seams nice)
Saiunkoku Monogatari (love it, just cute)

One of my friends suggestions:
Seirei no Moribito
Scrapped Princess

Hope you'll like some of them. :)

aishabhatti78
Advanced Member
aishabhatti78
Advanced Member

Dec 22 2015, 06:54 PM #3

akacsoki @ Dec 22 2015, 04:04 PM wrote: After i finished AnY anime, i did some research, to find something as cool as AnY, but of course, i coudn't... altought, i did find some good stuff, maybe you will find some of them interesting, too.

Seirei no Moribito
Scrapped Princess

Hope you'll like some of them.  :)
Those are good ones.
You can also try:
Hiiro no kakera : 5 men who have powers and protect a girl
Kamigami no Asobi
Rokka no Yuusha
Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun
Arcana Famiglia
Dance with Devils
Kamisama Kiss
And there are lots more at http://myanimelist.net/anime/25013/Akat ... a/userrecs

trinakat

Dec 22 2015, 10:24 PM #4

Saiunkoku Monogatari for sure (if we're ignoring Fushigi Yuugi). Also, Twelve Kingdoms has a similar feel, but more focused on the political and economic side of things.

PixLady
PixLady

Dec 25 2015, 03:51 PM #5

There is Sorodemo sekai and saiunkoku monogatari :lol:

vmosk5
vmosk5

Dec 25 2015, 04:18 PM #6

Guess Sorodemo sekai and saiunkok more similar to Akagami no Shirayukihime then to Akatsuki no Yona. I suggest 12 kingdoms

Rin89
Rin89

Dec 25 2015, 10:58 PM #7

I think that Saiyunkoku Monogatari is very similar to Akatsuki no Yona. Both series have strong female lead characters and lovable, handsome boys. Also the setting is pretty similar.

Acesoldia
Advanced Member
Acesoldia
Advanced Member

Dec 28 2015, 02:15 PM #8

I know you wanted similiar, but can we suggest also just good series that we recommend? if so..

try out. Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop, Blood + is also a good one. female main char. Eureka Seven.

Clairebeebuzz

Dec 30 2015, 05:49 AM #9

akacsoki @ Dec 22 2015, 04:04 PM wrote: After i finished AnY anime, i did some research, to find something as cool as AnY, but of course, i coudn't... altought, i did find some good stuff, maybe you will find some of them interesting, too.

Seirei no Moribito
Scrapped Princess

Hope you'll like some of them. :)
I am a huge fan of Akagami no Shirayukihime. It is like AnY in its sense of great characters and their relationships, the sense of adventure and philanthropy, and forging your own path. It is, however, less heavy as it is not spurred by tragedy like AnY is. I do heavily recommend AnS, though!

shinyvulpix

Jan 2 2016, 12:26 AM #10

Thank you for making this thread! And thank you everyone who made suggestions. I've been hoping to find similar animes/mangas to Akatsuki no Yona for months now, but it's really hard to know where to look.

Dragonfly

Jan 2 2016, 02:24 AM #11

Thank you so much for these suggestions! I love this series, but I'm always on the lookout for other stories that are just as good as this one, or even close! I'll definitely try them out! Akagami no Shirayuki-hime I started and I like it though I think it's pretty different from AnY. There's another manga starring a redheaded heroine, that I've heard was good but I haven't looked it up yet, Reimei No Arcana---has anyone read this? Is it interesting?

miharu023

Jan 2 2016, 07:22 AM #12

arslan senki. it's awfully similar but arslan lacked courage compared to Yona (personal opinion)

Dracs
Dracs

Jan 2 2016, 05:24 PM #13

Dragonfly @ Jan 2 2016, 02:24 AM wrote: There's another manga starring a redheaded heroine, that I've heard was good but I haven't looked it up yet, Reimei No Arcana---has anyone read this? Is it interesting?
I read it. Kinda like it, but it's honestly subpar compared to AnY, not as thrilling, pacing is too slow in my opinion, and there is not enough cheerful moments. A great thing of AnY is the perfect balance between happiness, fights, and sadness. RnA is a tad too depressing for me. The ending is a bit weird and bland too. But definitely, it as a very similar setting to HnY.

Otherwise I think the author of AnY made a previous serie about reincarnation, I don't remember the title, but I really like it.

On the topic of betrayals and best friends turned ennemies : Berserk and Embalming (though there is not strong heroine like Yona in those).

Jan 7 2016, 06:04 PM #14

No one has mentioned Basara yet! Definitely read the manga, since the anime was a fairly cheap 90s affair, but it has the identity issues, the girl overcoming her weakness to lead a rebellion, the loyal comrades, everything. It's definitely the closest thing to Yona I've seen, although Yona's a little more like someone mashed up Fushigi Yuugi and Basara and then kept only the best bits of both. It's also beautiful if you like 90s shoujo art, which I really do.

Basara takes place in a post-apocalyptic Japan that's ended up looking more like a fantasy setting, which is ruled by a despotic emperor and his four children. The main character, Sarasa, is believed to be the twin sister of the "child of destiny" who will save their tribe and overthrow the rulers, except that Tatara promptly gets himself killed, and Sarasa has to secretly replace him to prevent the dream from dying. And then she starts falling in (mutual) love with the Red King, whose troops slew her brother, without either knowing who the other is, even as they're actively in conflict the rest of the time. It's pretty spectacular, and I adore the characters, including Sarasa herself who is possibly the part of Basara that most reminds me of AnK (there's even a bunch of pirates lead by an amazing female captain, for those of us who really liked Awa.)

Also, I've heard people compare the series to Chang ge Xing/Song of the Long March, which is manhua. I've heard people say the resemblance is mostly superficial, in that it's another series about a princess leading a rebellion to take back a stolen kingdom, though. I don't know because I haven't picked it up myself.

Oh! and +1 on Twelve Kingdoms. I've actually been alternating watching the anime with a rewatch of AnY, and they go together great. It's really cool watching the heroine in both mature. They were even both done by Studio Pierrot about ten years apart, so the comparisons are very direct. (Someday, I want to watch both along with Fushigi Yuugi -- also a Studio Pierrot anime -- and really look at the comparisons between them.)

magdelena-lee

Jan 7 2016, 07:37 PM #15

This is probably going to sound outlandish, but I think Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle is somewhat similar. 4 unlikely people (plus a cute fuzzy animal) travel around for various reasons and go through a lot together. They form a little family unit in a similar way (which is one of my fav things about both series). Also darker themes and angst as you get further along in the story...

Epyon
Epyon

Jan 7 2016, 09:04 PM #16

Other than Fushigi Yuugi... Hm... Like others suggested, I'd also say Saiunkoku Monogatari and Juuni Kokuki. Also, maybe Harukanaru Toki no Naka de and Hiiro no Kakera.

azncraz
azncraz

Jan 9 2016, 08:17 PM #17

Saiunkoku monogatari for sure. Red river / Anatolia story is a pretty good one that is similar to fushigi yuugi but it has a pretty old art style and is for mature audiences (for sexual content)

slayerette

Jan 10 2016, 01:04 AM #18

Arslan is pretty similar in terms of a displaced young heir to the throne who has to grow strong and obtain allies to take back his/her place. In terms of slowly collecting allies part of prophecy with magical/supernatural powers, it's similar to Fushigi Yuugi. There is also a manga called Joou no Hana where the main character is a princess who has been exiled from her country who has learnt to fight and goes around to obtain allies, and also has a bodyguard by her side all the time.

awskop
awskop

Jan 26 2016, 11:08 PM #19

I thought the Korean manhwa Saved had a similar plot--female lead travels to different world, amasses a harem of good looking men, and ends up being a total badass. Overall, it was a decent story, but not nearly as good as AnY. Plus, it felt very unfinished to me.

Andzia3
Advanced Member
Andzia3
Advanced Member

Jan 29 2016, 07:30 PM #20

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu yet. There's more magic, but it also has three friends as the main characters and the problem of protecting one's kingdom. IMO, it's way better than AnY.

Btw. someone said Arslan Senki is awfully similar to AnY - LOL, nope. It's AnY that's awfully similar to Arslan Senki. Arslan Senki is primarily a novel series that started coming out in 1986, it's way older than AnY.

aljini
aljini

Jan 30 2016, 05:33 AM #21

Sarasah, a korean manhwa reminds me of this. Not the first few chapters, but as it progresses

anny
Advanced Member
anny
Advanced Member

Feb 1 2016, 02:25 AM #22

I did not know there were so many, I have not a recommendation but I'm going to read some of those on these lists and I tell you about it

Merone
Merone

Feb 1 2016, 08:45 PM #23

I agree with some of the suggestions here- Arslan has a similar setting, and Basara and Twelve Kingdoms also have similar tones with the whole Fantasy adventure with a strong female lead.

Some suggestions from me:

One Piece- I know it's silly, but the whole growth of the team has a very similar feeling to me (especially during the recruitment of the members in both series lol). My sister and I always compare Hak and Jae-Ha with Zoro and Sanji because they're the powerhouses and have similar personalities! :D

I also suggest you try Kusanagi's (the author's) other series-
Mugen Spiral is supernatural romance ( although it's been cancelled) and NG Life is a must read!!. Game x Rush has an interesting character/villain, although it has no romance. She also wrote some nice one-shots as well.

submarina

Feb 5 2016, 05:47 PM #24

Surprised that no one's mentioned Reimei no Arcana. It has a very similar setting and a strong female protagonist.

The universe needs more reverse harem...

achoicoi

Feb 23 2016, 03:07 AM #25

I search too but I doubt it will be as interesting as ANY. Thankyou all for your recommendation :D